Forums layout

Started by Puritan, 03 December 2011, 13:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

I'm currently messing around with themes, fonts, colours, background and such.

What about the background image?
Do you like it?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I like the current color scheme. A couple of the other forums give the impression of being in a dark cave. I'm impartial to the background image (because I don't focus on it) other than it matches the color scheme.

The layout and format are familiar and comfortable.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Good to hear ;)

I wanted to keep the forums  bright colored. But not too "colored"...
I ain't particular fond of the dark forums around either.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I noticed under my profile settings there's an option to "Return to topics after posting by default". 

If the option is selected, I actually return to the thread I just posted in and not back to the topics (like I mentioned earlier).
The option is actually doing the opposite of what it says.

Loke

I like the bright theme. The background image isn't very Duke'ish though however it's easy on the eyes so I don't mind it much.

Puritan

Welcome aboard, Loke  :)

Yeah, I thought about the background image myself.
But it's hard to find a Duke image that's easy on your eyes and doesn't interfere with the boards.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

True that the background is not Duke like, but now that my attention is focused on it, it's better than some solid, pastel color like most other forums.
Pretend you're using a jetpack  :)

James

Yeah I also prefer lighter colours, I know Duke's a pretty dark game but it makes forums feel too claushrophobic when they also have dark colours to them.

Forge

semi-related; if you go to a map review page, the link to the forum isn't set up

Puritan

Ahh...thanks! I forgot.
Earlier today I set up the links from the "maps" and "mods" site to point to the forum but I forgot the review sites :P
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

There's links on many of the front/main pages to the forum, but there's no banner or link from the forum to the front page(unless I missed something).

btw, looks like your hard work is paying off & this site is coming together nicely.

Puritan

Thanks  ;)
I've been working on a link back to the front page.
Coming soon!
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I vote that you come up with your own version of month old fruit. Maybe month old diaper.

Micky C

Is it a good idea dividing up the Duke Nukem Boards quite so much? It's great that there are seperate forums for released and WIP stuff, but I'm kinda split about having separate classic and TROR/polymer/HRP WIP forums.

It's just that there would be a lot of projects which could go in either catagory, and this could be a bit confusing. For example I'm working on something that uses classic textures, but uses TROR, and uses polymer, but doesn't intentionally use any of polymer's features such as lighting (it'll look like a glitch free polymost) it's pretty in-between. And considering all the new eduke32 features (including large, limit breaking maps), there's really no such thing as a classic map anymore, or people will have different definitions.

I was also thinking about having a simple, general purpose "what are you working on now thread" but I'm not sure which forum to put it in! :P

I feel really bad about criticising because it's a great site you set up here, and it has a lot of potential :)
Wall whore.

Puritan

The only board I could delete is: " Workbench; TROR , HRP, Polymer.."
And then put everything related to modifications..etc in one board.

Classic Duke 3D is...Classic Duke 3D  :P
Polymer, DP and goodness  knows what is NOT classic Duke.
Oh when I'm old and wise