Forums layout

Started by Puritan, 03 December 2011, 13:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MSandt

Well, it kinda destroys the whole point of a public rating system.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

I have to agree with the nay-sayers. The public rating system is cute, but pointless if a person can vote multiple times.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Had a small idea for the forum banner image and gave it a whirl. Here's two versions, one with the corners rounded off. Image height was increased by 3 pixels, but can be tweaked if required. Feel free to use either one of these if you wish! Any crits or suggests that can be added, do tell.

Puritan

He-he...thanks, Quakis  ;)
I'll might use it in a banner rotation at a time.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Great work Quakis. It would´ve cool if the whole site looked like that.

quakis

Quote from: Gambini on  20 March 2012, 00:46:25Great work Quakis. It would´ve cool if the whole site looked like that.

Sounds tempting, something with an overall classic-Duke3D feel. Also gives me an excuse to mess with forum themes. Might give it a shot.

Micky C

yeah these light blue clouds in the background are bit too rainbow-y for Duke Nukem  :-\
Wall whore.

Puritan

The layout will be like as it is.

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Just one thing, is it supposed to look like this?

I can add transparency to those for you if you want, here.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

that might help make it easier to tell when there's a new post, and it looks better than that black square
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: High_Treason on  22 March 2012, 03:09:46
Just one thing, is it supposed to look like this?

I can add transparency to those for you if you want, here.

No, it's not supposed to look like this.
I'm just messing around. Had a few minutes last night.
I'll try your images tonight. Thank you  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Ah, if you're going to do that, you'll want the no posts one as well. There doesn't seem to be any image defined for new posts in a child board though and I can't think of anything myself. The octabrains in those images don't mesh well enough to make one that's half-and-half which was the only idea I could come up with.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

Thanks, mate  ;)

Yeah, I think I'll leave the child board images as they are.
After all, it's only the members of the child board that can see new posts there.
Regular members will only see the on/off images.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Do I´m the only one that has a hard time trying to notice which subforums have new posts because of that untastefully octabrain?

High Treason

I've noticed the same. I have a suggestion, I could get rip some different graphics post them, how about the nuke symbols from the menu? They could be blue for no new posts and red for new posts? This would also cut back on the scaling with the small ones at the bottom as there are smaller versions of the spinning nuke - though I am not suggesting the use of animated versions, that would waste bandwidth and distract everyone, still, if you want me to make some, I will - Just a thought.

Now that I think about it, all the other forums used nuke symbols.