New RELEASE : Highland.map

Started by David B., 24 May 2012, 20:24:29

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

Quote from: David B. on  26 May 2012, 21:05:41I'm also thinking about a remake of hostel so that the map would be barely recognizable and reach the current standards...

Don't bother with remakes, just focus on new projects. The problem with doing a remake is that, you might feel the same way at a later time, so its best to put that energy elsewhere.

Forge

Thanks for all the words of encouragement for my surgery. Things seem to be alright, kinda hard to determine through the cloud of pain or drug induced haze, but it's going to be awhile before I heal enough to be able to sit at the comp for more than a couple minutes.

@David - remaking an unreleased map is fine, but that should be a side project that you dable in when you get inspiration, while mainly focusing on new projects. You have the talent to fine tune your skills and create many more quality maps.

[hijack mode]@Kevin M. - You also have the skills that can be fine tuned. I would suggest getting a couple veterans from this site who have the time to take a look at the map you showed me. It has a real good foundation, it just needs the icing smoothed out. [/hijack mode]
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Oh snap, I should be a little more clear. Touching up on an unreleased map in my opinion is fine, since no one has seen the project yet and if you feel like something good can come out of it, then go ahead. But if its already out the doors, I feel it's best to limit further updates to bug fixes and smaller tasks and nothing more. At the end of the day though, it's up to you.

David B.

ok, I will rather make new project; After having thought about that, it's better to let the maps I've made in the past as they are.

@Forge : I wish you a good recovery and thanks for advise & comments.
David B.

Merlijn

Played it - very cool map! Here's a review. If Puritan wants to use it for the review page he may go ahead:

Highland

Highland is a new city map, and like the Metropolian Mayhem episode, it takes an old school approach. While many 'modern' city themed levels are big and offer a huge variety of locations, this one - like the old 3dr maps - is smaller and focusses on 1 theme. In this case, the theme is a high school with multiple floors. As you start on the rooftop, you work your way down until you reach the streets.

Design is very good, polished, and looks good both with and without the HRP. The classrooms look convincing, and the outdoor locations look very good as well. My only complaint is the somewhat repetitive nature of the locations and the textures; most indoor locations have the same grey brick walls, and 2 of the floors share the exact same layout. But, given the theme, some repetition was impossible to avoid.

Gameplay is quite good and balanced; you have to use your brains a bit to find all the keycards, but if you pay attention it shouldn't be a problem. Health is a bit sparse, but there's enough to survive. Again, paying attention to your surroundings helps a lot. There are a lot of enemy respawns, and a pretty hard final fight.

Overall this map is a nice addition to the ever growing database of city maps. It establishes and exploits its theme very well and offers some nice challenges along the way.

Rating: 91

David B.

Thanks for the review, it looks great.
David B.

Puritan

That's great, Merlijn  ;)
Your review is added.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

methy

Hard last fight? For me the BLord was dead just as the commanders spwaned, so those didn't even matter.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Merlijn

I guess my skills are getting a bit rusty then.  :P I died the first time, probably because I was too busy finding cover.

Forge

I wouldn't call the last fight hard, but it was more challenging than the rest of the encounters throughout the map, so it could leave that impression. I haven't the opportunity to play the final release, but the version I did play was pretty fun.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

Just played it took me 13 minutes. Nice layout and good firefights. Design doesn´t stand out for being original but it´s well done and the intented look as been achieved succesfully. Got me wandering a couple of times because of repetitiveness of some locations. Overall, i liked it. I give it seven gambinis  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Micky C

I give it 4 Mickys  8) 8) 8) 8)

And 1 Micky is worth 2 Gambinis  8)
Wall whore.

Micky C

Quote from: David B. on  25 May 2012, 19:21:48
In come get some mode there are more than 75 ennemies to kill, it's longer.
I regret a little bit for having added too much facilities, clues... to find accesscard and the way... I 'm aware now this has shortened a little bit the gameplay.

Only just saw this post. Don't think that. I don't know about everybody else, but for me, the number 1 annoyance that has forced me to quit some (sometimes very good) maps has been not knowing where to go or where to find a keycard. There is nothing more frustrating then feeling like you've looked everywhere (twice, or 3 times even) and still not having found what you're looking for. If you want to extend the duration of your map, hiding essential items is NOT the way to go.
Wall whore.

Trooper Dan

Mikko is known for playing maps very quickly.  Most players probably take significantly longer than that.

Gambini

Quote from: Micky C on  11 June 2012, 07:42:27
Only just saw this post. Don't think that. I don't know about everybody else, but for me, the number 1 annoyance that has forced me to quit some (sometimes very good) maps has been not knowing where to go or where to find a keycard. There is nothing more frustrating then feeling like you've looked everywhere (twice, or 3 times even) and still not having found what you're looking for. If you want to extend the duration of your map, hiding essential items is NOT the way to go.

This.

Quote from: Trooper Dan on  11 June 2012, 20:04:54
Mikko is known for playing maps very quickly.  Most players probably take significantly longer than that.

Not really, I wandered around a few minutes looking for what to do and also took my time to admire the design (it took me 13 minutes with all that). The map takes little time because it is quite small. If you want your map to last longer, make it bigger or make its layout to dynamically change over the time, just like Forever and One More Day, where the same locations serve more than one purpose because after triggering something new ways open and used ways get blocked.