Adding new textures in HRP

Started by David B., 31 May 2012, 13:16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

Hi,
For a brand new project, I need to know if someone has already added new art in the texture file, in HRP mode ?
I know it's possible and I've already understood that "texture.def" file must be modified, I checked the wiki about the DEF language.

But as it's the first time I intend to create this, the question is How do you proceed in a few words to add new textures so that it appears 1) in mapster32 while mapping in 3D and 2) appears in the HRP game when running the map ? What are the principals steps to be done ?

Is it just ? : 1) modify texture.def file, create "new tiles number" & define textures 2) add the collect of new pictures in a directory ?
Or is there a missing step ?

Thanks for help.
David B.

Puritan

You have to convert the the new pictures into ART files.
Check the "utilities" page and under "Miscellany" and "Utilities", you'll find some nifty programs to help you out.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

If you want to convert images into the Duke palate, apparently this does the best job out there: http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/
If you need help trying to figure out how to use it, Duke4.net would be the best place to ask since that's where I found out about it.

The real question is, do you want to work in 8-bit, classic renderer compatible files, or are you working in one of the openGL renderers and don't care about classic? If the latter is the case, you can forget about all the art files and editart and those balony old programs and stick to the defs.

You don't need to modify any existing HRP defs, just create your own, and at the top, write "include HRP.def" without quotes or whatever the HRP def is called. Actually, I think there's mutators now so you don't even have to do that. So what you do is this. Make your own def file, example.def, then create a .txt file, example.txt, and write in it "eduke32.exe -mhexample.def". When you're done, save it, and rename example.txt to example.bat. Then, you can double click that to start up the game with your textures. To get them working in mapster, just make another copy of that with mapster.exe instead of eduke32.exe

Good luck ;)
Wall whore.

David B.

I want to work only with Open GL renderer, and this time I won't care about old mode : I'm obliged to do a choice between modes, so this will be made for HRP.

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll try this.

David B.

David B.

I'm back and it seems it works pretty good. I tried to include 2 new textures successfully !

Now, I've got another problem : what if I want to play with Duke Plus ??
When I launch the game with my .bat file, and I select Duke Plus, the textures doesn't work anymore and causes a visual glitch instead.
Someone does know the solution for that ?
David B.

Micky C

That's more complicated. At the moment the only way to load both is for you to edit the dukeplus.bat and add the -mhexample.def to the other command line parameters.
Wall whore.