Beta testing/final polishing

Started by Micky C, 11 July 2012, 12:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

That other thread was getting too long. So here's one specifically for finishing this thing off.

Here's SuperTanker's report of the map:

QuoteHeya;

Unfortunately, I got stuck at the second (or third?) miniboss fight--the one right after the room with the acid and the yellow keycard in the sewers. I had 20 health and zero weaponry  I suck!

Beyond that though, I only noticed a few things:

In Scent 88, there's two misaligned textures: one at the top of the ramp to the top room (the one you jump out of)--around the corner from the flaming pots, one of the silver wall trim textures is stretched. Downstairs, the metal texture in the Duke Burger spawners is a little odd.

At the street ramp that goes down to where you blow open the hole to the sewer, sometimes a liztroop will get "caught" there--I can't shoot him and he can't shoot me unless I go down the ramp. I think there was a similar issue in Parkade on the ramp leading down from the top of the structure...

In the sewer, the door with the already open brown keycard has no sound (?) and has moving tracks on the walls.

Really random, but I tried going back up to the top of the bachelor pad after I had jumped out the window. But the elevator was already in the top position--I couldn't call it down because it triggered the split door in front of the elevator instead. Annoyed, I ran at it (I know, wrong path) and I somehow glitched into the elevator! ooops.

There was an octabrain corpse in the giant water area after you go down the river from the tall tower (with a wave effect on the floor and ladders on either side), and it kept gibbing. I don't know if this was intentional or not. All the other corpses seemed to disappear...

Don't have much else for you unfortunately. The parts I did get to play fairly were very fun, although I'm a sucky Duke player so I had to reload from saves a lot. I liked all the hidden messages and the quirky high-tech atmosphere was VERY neat. I look forward to seeing the completed map!

Also, listening to Duke Nukem II music while playing was fun, and several other of the stock midis (missimp and names) fit nicely.

Cheers,
Supertanker

Sorry, forgot to mention--my nVidia 8800GTS died, so I had to play on the internal nVidia 6150E. Polymer performance with lights off ranged from 30FPS (good areas) down to 12FPS (bad areas) and sometimes went up and down when I turned around, making aiming a real pain in the neck. So I wasted a lot of ammo.  For people with better video cards, it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

I've fixed the fixable things he mentioned, and replaced one of the pipe bomb boxes in the pillar room with an RPG ammo box, then I went on to take all the remaining walls and add one last thing to the map:

An underwater part to the HUB pool. It's not 100% finished, I still need to tweak texture allignments and things. So is it worth keeping? If so, any suggestions for improvement? Keep in mind the walls are gone. There seems to be a bug at one angle with polymer that I'll take up with plagman. I can delete it in like 5 seconds if people want.

I also tweaked the gameplay in my section so it's closer to what it originally was. And I added some flashing coloured lights to my bachelor pad, but a small amount of the sectors over the bed are flashing differently to the others. Things like this really make me feel like a noob  :-\
Any help there? I promise it's the last thing I'll ask help for  ;D

Please take at least a quick look as this could be the final version of the map (Gambini will probably change that though). I won't be able to work on the map for about 36 hours so I won't be making changes any time soon.
Wall whore.

Mister Sinister

It looks good, but is it really neccesery? BTW I think we should add something like a bridge to the tower.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Mister Sinister on  11 July 2012, 19:25:36
It looks good, but is it really neccesery? BTW I think we should add something like a bridge to the tower.

This.

Micky C

Well like I said, we can delete it if people want. It takes up more walls then than its probably worth. I can add a sprite bridge or two though if that's what you mean.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Ok it was very finnicky and awkward to pull this off due to the angles involved, but I think these look decent, just don't inspect them with a magnifying glass or anything because there are probably tiny spaces that most players won't notice. I also fixed a few more allignment issues.

I really, really don't want to add anything else to this map. I might give it another playtest tomorrow or the day after, then send it to Gambini and SuperTanker again. I don't think there would be many issues left.
Wall whore.

Micky C

I sent this copy to Gambini: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ed5vt

I closed a door I accidentally left open. Moved the ammo in Cpt. Awesome's pillar room onto the pillar bases because I noticed they disappear below the floor otherwise. Removed the medpack in my area because I thought it was making the map too easy, and replaced it with a +30 kit, as well as adding a +30 and a +10 to the underwater pool in the HUB (added some extra detail there too). Probably did a few other minor things but they're too trivial to remember.

Hopefully the music can be wrapped up by the end of next week.

I've also uploaded the mostly complete .txt file, minus a lot of mapper comments and things like release date and download links.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wall whore.

Mister Sinister

Played it throught. I can't think of anything that must be changed. I didn't find any bugs.
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Puritan

@Micky

The txt file: High Treason is spelled Paul Monteray.
And the older Oostrum: Maarten van Oostrum
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

txt nitpicks;

Drop the subtitle 'Spacecity'. CBP8 is fine and if we want a subtitle, make it sound more interesting than Spacecity!

Spell my name with a lowercase q :P

I'll write up something quick for the txt asap.

Micky C

@Mister Sinister, that's great news! Hopefully the beta testers feel the same way.

@Puritan, whoops I told myself I was going to check the spelling but I forgot.

@quakis, I'll change the q and add your paragraph when you put it up. As for the subtitle, I thought that since the latest CBPs; Suburban Hive and Crimson Moon got their own special names, we could use one as well to make it stand out from the crowd a bit, and maybe give people an indication of what it's about, considering how consistent the theme turned out. Don't worry I'm aware Spacecity is a lame name and mostly a place holder.

I'll try to think of something better, and ideas are welcome.

Oh, and another thing we need to think of is what pictures we should put up when we advertise the map for download. We don't want to spoil too much, but at the same time we need something juicy to get people's mouths watering.

Ok how about this?: "In a space-city, no one can hear you scream"

Wall whore.

Forge

Text file additions:

Mike Norvak - Started the project at Duke4. Did his part and disappeared. Showed up, made "adjustments" that broke a few people's sections and caused extra work. Disappeared again. Re-appeared with a half done audio file. Disappeared.

Michael "Micky C" Crisp - Co-started the project at CGS. Hogged all the resources and kept adding things like a heroin fiend getting a fix.

Paul "High Treason" Monteray - actually followed the rules of the build

Mister Sinister - wrote some things for the template, got embarrassed even though there was nothing wrong with what he said, ultimately had his comments removed. what a wuss

Merlijn van Oostrum - did his thing, took up William Gee's slack, found one of his old pipes under the couch in the basement, cleaned it out for the resin, showed up afterwards talking backwards and in colors, so we all humored him with chips and mountain dew.

Marteen van Oostrum - made his part then fell in a mob of groupies and hasn't been heard from since.

Captain Awesome - took two weeks to build two days worth of mapping

Forge - made a crappy section, then bitched alot to anyone who would listen

quakis - this guy actually finished something?

William Gee - showed up, took the map for two weeks, gave it back with a few empty rooms. what a guy.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Yep, I loled at some of them. I would have loved to not worry about this project any more and not spend countless hours adding things that in hindsight should not have taken anywhere near as long. I hope I'm not turning into Paul B  :(

Norvak, is there an ETA on the music? The map could potentially be ready for release right now.
Wall whore.

Forge

These are the kind of quips I liked seeing in some of the previous CBP templates when participants didn't submit their own comments, or volunteered to work on the CBP then bailed without a word. Adds to the history and nostalgia factor. I'm not trying to offend anyone; they're supposed to be slightly humorous and a bit exaggerated.

The screen shot you posted for use during release is a good choice.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Mister Sinister

Micky, the only possible change is to make water in my area still since betatesters complained about it.
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

quakis

I don't have much to say;

quakis
Worked on the small urban section in the upper part of the main hub, which includes a police station and EDF mechs. Also did some polishing around the map and made a few additions while doing so, like exterior views (ex: window in Forge's section) and the small room near the manhole cover.