Beta testing/final polishing

Started by Micky C, 11 July 2012, 12:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I'll probably have a mapper's comments section, and a general comments section, which is where I'll put all of Forge's comments, for those who have already said something. And no that can't be fixed in classic. TROR scissoring (which is what that use of TROR is called) is barely even supported at all, that's why enemies get trapped in them and you can't shoot them from the other side.

Gambini still hasn't finished the map, so I went on to start editing it anyway. Apparently the dunce got very frustrated due to repeatedly getting lost. So I put in some extra signs and things to make it more obvious.

Map download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cytf0p

Photos (slightly outdated):
Upper city sign to Quakis' section.
Obnoxious flashing "reactor core" and "service access" signs to High Treason's section and loop.
Hologram sign directing player to use explosives on the manhole cover. Check the back of this one   :D (it also explodes when you explode the cover  8) )
Small lights to the buttons in Forge's ugly circular section because they're kinda easy to miss in the confusion.

I also did some other changes such as small additions to my section, and fixed up the giant pool in Mister Sinisters section. Added a drowned Overlord and Cycloid Emperor to the floor for lols, but you can only see it in classic, or in polymer if you ramp up the ambient light. The only other thing I could possibly add is an explosion or two to Forge's reactor when you blow it up.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wall whore.

Micky C

Oh BTW I'm going on a short trip, and the earliest I'll be able to work on the map is monday (but university starts then as well). So that's at least 4 days until the map is released, hopefully that's enough time for Norvak to fix his computer and finish the music.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Micky C

What do you mean? Are you working on the music? I still won't be back for2-3 days.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Well not really, till now. I mean my computer is already working, god bless the weekend has come and I can work on the music at last. I'll upload the music later.

Micky C

Ok I'm back now and will finish the template and add some explosions to forge's reactor either tomorrow night or the night after, as I need to unpack and settle in and stuff. I aim to release this map wednesday night as I have wednesday night completely off.

Are you able to finish the music by then Norvak? Roughly 48-64 hours.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

MikeNorvak

Not that I can't add these things, but since you have the last version Micky and you're gonna add things, there's some stuff that could be changed/fixed:

(15) The metallic beam under the sign disappeared

(16) Maybe an enemy here

(17) This sprite looks so flat, maybe we could add a case.

(18) The I LUV ET sign is glitchy

MikeNorvak

(19) The transition looks obvious

(20) I didn't die when I felt here, this is supposed to happen?

(21) There should be lots of heavy enemies here after triggering the tower door.

(22) Why this sector is tagged as water? It is supposed to work like that?

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  22 July 2012, 20:28:18
(20) I didn't die when I felt here, this is supposed to happen?

the player is not supposed to die if they fall in either of those sectors. that's why i put in simulated glass floors

as for "the transition looks obvious", it's hard to tell which manhole you are in, the tror or the SE?

not sure what you mean by obvious transition. texture alignment? shading? visual hiccups?

if it's the SE one, i never messed with it after i initially created it and it got changed when HT's section was connected via tror
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

I don't think the transition is a problem.

It's tagged as water so the player won't die from falling (it's a huge bummer to die right at the end, as the player doesn't know what to expect). He/she won't notice because of the earthquake and everything.

The other stuff is fixed and I added a few explosions to Forge's reactor.

Ok I made the keypad 3D, fixed some texture oversights in quakis' section, like the lift and a texture zero near the dome, fixed floor allignments in Mister Sinister's section. Added two commanders after the tower unlock near the dome roof, and they hover down as you fight them which is cool, as well as two battlelords at the base of the tower. I've also added lots of RPG & devestator ammo and a jetpack to the end of the hallway on the way back so Duke has more than enough fire power to take them out (I envision Duke flying around pelting the battlelords from above). I also added some troopers to the windows when you hit the nuke button so you can see them die in the explosion. Oh and some RPG shooters to the top of the tower after it's unlocked.

Looks like all the problems have been fixed, all the cool stuff I could think of the past 6 months has been added. I think we're almost good to go  ;D
If any of you haven't played this map for a while, please do so! There's a 99.9% probability that this is the gold version.

Wall whore.

Micky C

Here's the updated .txt file. Hopefully all that needs changing is the release date and download links.

High Treason can you post up the text for the .bat file and config file please?

Wall whore.

High Treason

OK, Here's the launcher and config file, I'm not sure how the map will be packaged, so at the moment it just expects all files to be in the EDuke32 directory, I can change it if required.

Hopefully this is not too elaborate for your liking, I can nerf it if people prefer, I might remove that snazzy startup anyway.

[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

MikeNorvak

Please wait for me about 10 -12 hours for the finished track. I still need to go to school :S

Micky C

Ok high treason I'll look at it later.

@Novak, perfect! I'll only be back home in about 8 hours anyway  8)
Looks like the map is belong released today (I assume at least one person has played the latest version and there are no problems).
Wall whore.