Beta testing/final polishing

Started by Micky C, 11 July 2012, 12:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I tested out the launcher, and it always seems to launch the map in polymost, which is super glitchy, when using the "play without lights" option, regardless of whether polymer is selected or not. The play with lights option doesn't necessarily force the game to use polymer either.

Can it be fixed so it absolutely always forces the player to use polymer? Edit: Actually, might as well simplify it down a bit so that it always switches off lights, since the map was designed without lights, and they don't really add anything while giving away certain secrets like atomic healths which is a huge spoiler. If people are desperate to use lights, then they can just not use the bat.

Btw it's spelled recommended not reccomended.
Wall whore.

Maarten

Hi there, I'm still here! :D

I haven't played a real recent version of this map, but it's OK if you guys release it. I was quite satisfied with my part anyway :)
Boo!

High Treason

Ah, bugger, my launcher  :'(

:D no problem, I'll use it myself for something later, I wrote it to be flexible for future use you see. Here's a simplified one. Unfortunately I can NOT force the game into Polymer mode, something in how EDuke32's startup code works prevents this, no big problem, I just force the setup window and the new launcher tells the player to make sure the box is ticked, if they ignore it, it is their own stupid faults.

The new launcher still expects the same file structure as the other one, in fact it's just a cut up version of the other one.

I was going to make the windo shrink itself down at exit but I thought better of it. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

MikeNorvak

Here's the track. I decided to stick just with one theme without transitions, cos there's the risk they don't fit some gameplay parts and there're were too distracting.

About the template I'm okay with Forge's text, you should include just that, maybe adding something about me disappearing again and coming back with the finished soundtrack and complaining about some map bugs. ;D

BTW some bugs :P :

Duke23: This switch at Maarten's part should be tagged with 10005
Duke24: Don't know if this has been fixed already.

www.mikenorvak.com/audio/CBP8.ogg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Micky C

Ok, I'll try to get everything ready after I get back from uni in about 7 hours. I'll add the tag to that switch, but what's wrong with the second picture? If you're talking about it being one sided, it's intentional.

I'll try to somehow get Puritan to upload it, so that link's ready, then Mikko to upload it, so that link's ready, and then have them both add Mikko's download link after.
Wall whore.

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  26 July 2012, 00:17:26but what's wrong with the second picture? If you're talking about it being one sided, it's intentional.

Uity > City? :P

Forge

If you post it here and tell Puritan that it's what you want hosted, he'll see it and make it happen
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

That's not a u, that's a c rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise! Ok I'll change it..

I still think its best to have the mappers comments as well as forge's comments for those who actually want a serious insight into the mappers' mind at the time of construction.
Wall whore.

Forge

Nobody's volunteered to do write-ups and scores on the last two 2-hour CBPs, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one also sat around on this site without a review as well.

Micky C

Ok, I played through it again, and there's a huge problem! By the time I got to the top of the tower, the floor had already exploded, and the activated explosions around the windows had apparently already gone off. I checked the tags and all the masterswitches have a hitag so that can't be the reason. I'm stumped  :( does anyone else have any clues?

One thing that should have been picked up a long time ago was the insane amount of shotgun ammo! You could basically get away with using the shotgun 90% of the time and hardly run out. In order to force weapon diversity, in High Treason's loop, I took out 4 shotguns/ammo, a chaingun, and added 4 freezer ammos and two devestator ammos, as well as an extra shrinker ammo in Forge's secret, because none of the beta testers found it, so if anyone does, I think they deserve to go to town with the shrinker.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Some testing indicates that it's the reactor which sets it off, but that confuses me because it was working before, and the masterswitches still have a hitag :(
Wall whore.

Forge

extensive testing indicates that the tag #10315 is the cause. somewhere hidden in the map is a masterswitch with no high tag or a trigger that sets off that tag number.

I deleted all the master switches in the tower area, and the seenine still exploded

I deleted all the sprites from the last area (escape pod) & deleted all the sprites from the tower and surrounding areas (except the seenine), and the seenine still exploded

I segregated one seenine from the rest and put in in a different sector, it still exploded

I took the segregated seenine and re-tagged it to 10400, and it did not explode

btw, one of the floors outside the tower (at the base of it) is low tagged 20. I don't think it affects anything since there's no activator in the sector to make it act like a door

Forge

double post:

this is going to sound retarded, but this is the problem -

there is a master switch in high treason's subway sector tagged 0,4056. high tagging this switch fixes the problem of the tower going off when the reactor is destroyed

High Treason

Oops, I forgot that was there, it was a cheap way of triggering what used to be two seperate wall explosions at once;

A seenine goes off, breaking a crack and causing the next lot of seenine to go off. Still, it's a simple fix.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Ah, that was also partly my fault, I moved one of the explosions to there from a helper sector to save walls. Thanks for the testing Forge, it sounded like a lot of work. I'll make the fix, play through the map one last time with the ammo changes, then release them on the 3 forums. We can worry about reviews and proper hosting after.

The map will be up in an hour  ;D
Edit: Make that an hour and 10 minutes. I really have to go to the toilet  :-[
Wall whore.