Duke Repository

Started by David B., 19 July 2012, 20:53:14

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

Hi, I can still notice that the downloading rate on Duke Repository is still impressive !  :o

The numbers of visitors is huge : even today our old maps stayed there are still more downloaded than the new releases posted on other present forums... or if not, then I've got hallucinations !

To give an example which I can remind exactly, "hostel.map" had been downloaded around 900 times barely two months ago. It's over 1000 now... this only for an "average map". I noticed that for other maps too, I'm not mentioning the famous ones. But in the same period new maps aren't downloaded so many times and disseminated on present forums, even like duke4.net.

Gamers seems to be used of this place like never, or it's me ? It's probably logic for it's one of the best inventory I'll dare to say.

Who now possesses this website ? If abandonned, isn't it possible to recover it enterily or take the control of it (cause puritan I think was one of the administrators) and hope to post our new maps also there ? Or maybe is it intended to be replaced one day by this current website (scent88) ?

David B.

Forge

all the traffic and downloads at DN-R are from bots

Kim still owns the site, but it's more or less locked and abandoned
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

As said, they're just bots.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Yep, just pick a map that isn't present anywhere on the front page and monitor the download counts  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

reflex17

And here I was thinkin' that 2000+ people played my map *sigh* damn stupid bots lol

David B.

Quote from: reflex17 on  19 July 2012, 23:49:44
And here I was thinkin' that 2000+ people played my map *sigh* damn stupid bots lol
me too ! This is sad...  :-\

David B.

reflex17

Quote from: David B. on  20 July 2012, 00:40:42
me too ! This is sad...  :-\

hey it could be worse... i'd much rather 2 people play the map and tell me what they like/don't like, as opposed to a fake tally of 2000 bots that didn't tell me anything to improve my work

High Treason

Hmm... You know, I'll probably never be able to do this thing now, but little did Puritan know, he nearly had some serious competition, there were around 320 Maps indexed at my last backup before my server failed and I've had more pressing issues than repairing the darned thing.

Some of you know I mentioned a "Top Secret" project that was "Huge" but later suffered from hardware failure - well, as it will probably never be possible to complete and because Scent88 is probably better anyway, there is no point in me hiding it now.

Edit: Ah, and before you criticize the web design, that was taken back when only Page A existed, there was a bar added later that linked to subsequent letters. How I navigated back to authors who's names began with numbers I can not remember, but that would also have been on the bar.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

Ahhh...I thought your big secret was some sort of big TC or something.
But I'm not afraid of "competition" though. I'm actually glad people is taking care of Mr.Nukem.
I refuse to let the community go down.
This game, and Mapster32 addicted individuals, will last forever  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

methy

Does anyone know a way I could reach Kim ? (an old non DNR email or something)
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games