Sprites and elevators

Started by Micky C, 23 July 2012, 02:30:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

It seems that sometimes sprites move relative to the floor and sometimes they don't. Is there a way to control whether they move with certain effects? For example if I don't want a sprite to move with an elevator platform up.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Not sure...
From the top of my head; try to lower the sprite one click into the floor.
I don't know if it would help if you disable the blocking (B)
Eventually point at the sprite in 3D and hit 'C'...
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

non-actor sprites will always copy the floor´s heigth variations no matter what.

High Treason

I could be thinking of Blood here, but if you press CTRL+PGUP on the sprite and then manually move it to the position you want, it might not move with the floor, I know I somehow got a sprite elevator to not move with it's sector once but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it because it was not what I wanted it to do.

This is why LEBuild is handy, but it doesn't support the newer map format (if you use TROR and such) - there might be some nasty copy/paste trickery that can be done here to-and-from each editor, because one way to prevent the sprite moving with the elevator would be to change it's sector number to one outside the elevator, Mapster allows you to edit this but then immediately sets the value to the correct one again, also, if you try this, you should really make sure that you can always see this sector when you can see the sprite, otherwise it will disappear, there are also some weird blocking bugs when you do this stuff.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

What you want can be achieved through the expertmode script. Typing script_expertmode in the console IIRC. However, it is highly advisable to disable it as soon as you´re done editing sectnums, as you can fuck the hell of your map if not.

BTW not only you have to be sure the sector, where those sprites will belong, has to be visible from any angle these sprites will be. But also that the sector where they´re located never tries to cover them with the floor/ceiling. Or they will clip it.

High Treason

I was not aware that expert mode enabled this, I shall try it later.

Yes, I should have mentioned this, you should generally save this kind of thing until last in my opinion, this is how I go about it anyway, that way, if I destroy the map, I can just load the backup and I haven't lost anything.

Sprites will also still draw if they are behind a masked wall and there are a whole bunch of other oddities with this way of doing things. I can't help but wonder what abominations I can create combining this with TROR.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]