CBP 8: Metropolitan Starlight Release!

Started by Micky C, 27 July 2012, 04:51:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

After 6 months of work, here is Community Build Project 8: Metropolitan Starlight, a huge space-city themed map (file size is 1.1 mb) that will take you anywhere between 30-50 minutes to complete. 25 for Mikko. There was a long beta testing period where a lot of cross-polishing was done where content was added/polished/slightly changed to aim for a more consistent look throughout, while still maintaining the variety that comes with having multiple mappers. So we hope it is worth the wait. There is an original music track by Norvak.

Description:
Duke comes out of the rest room to find his beloved domed city in orbit around the Earth has been overrun by aliens. You must explore the city and find a way to unlock the central spire which contains a nuke button that causes the city to self-destruct, as it's the only way to guarantee wiping out all the alien scum before they make it Earth.

The map makes some use of TROR, nothing fancy, just practical, and as a result has been designed for polymer with lights disabled to improve performance, and so things like atomic healths don't spoil secrets. However, if you can't run polymer for whatever reason, the classic renderer is about 97% glitch free (mostly minor sprite clipping issues). HRP is NOT supported. If you use it, there will be models facing the wrong way and clipping through surfaces they shouldn't be. It's up to you.

Installation: IMPORTANT! Due to eduke32's disgusting lack of per-map customizing options (we tried a lot of things which didn't work, no offence eduke developers), for those who don't want to mess around with console commands to disable lights, we've had to include 3 different extra files.
Extract the map and music to your Duke Nukem Atomic edition directory, then do ONE of the following to disable lights:
(1) Open up the console in-game with the "`" (tilde) key, then type "r_pr_lighting 0" without quotation marks and hit enter. To re-enable lights afterwards, so the same as above, but type "r_pr_lighting 1".
(2) Simply extract autoexec.cb8, autoexec.cfg (overwrite any old file) and CB8.bat to your eduke32 directory, and run CB8.bat. It will start the map without lights, and when it's done, the next time you start eduke32 with polymer, lights should be on again.

Here is the list of mappers in order of appearance.
Micky C
Norvak
Mister Sinister
Maarten van Oostrum
Merlijn van Oostrum
High Treason
Captain Awesome
Forge
Quakis (with a William Gee/Merlijn piece in the middle)
Micky C (finale)

http://www.mediafire.com/?4faq8t9tve06ws8
CGS - Download
Wall whore.

Puritan

Glued to the server  ;)
If anyone feels like a write up just let me know...
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

gizmo

I have never posted but have payed duke since it came out. I have a computer from 1999-2007. Couldn't believe all the Duke upgrades and all these maps. I have played a bunch and only a few have done me like this one. Every time I start level screen goes red and I die. I have tried it with no HRP no DP and it doesn't work at all even with the bat file. What is my problem I want to play this map.

gizmo

Micky C

I'm glad you like all the upgrades to eduke32, it truly is so much more powerful and potentially much better looking than the original game.

You seem to be the only one having this problem though, and I'm guessing you're not using the latest version of eduke32. The actual latest versions are unfortunately somewhat hidden away from the general public. Try this one: http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/20120725-2849/
Wall whore.

gizmo

You must be right. I am in the out. Thank You, it works but have not finished it yet.

Micky C

For the record I've posted this map on Megaton's steam workshop thing to get it some extra exposure (with a note to download eduke32 to play it).

If anyone involved in its production is strongly opposed to it I'll consider taking it down.
Wall whore.

Forge

i don't see much of a difference between posting a map there and hosting a map on a web site such as this one
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

Well I wouldn't put a map that doesn't run on Megaton (such as Dukecide) there. The system is all about convenience.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

It's a bit of an experiment to see whether putting a high quality map out there which only works with eduke32 actually encourages people to download eduke32 and play it or not, or even if the map will stay up there. Like I said at Duke4.net it's highly likely eduke32 will soon be able to scan megaton's workshop directory for maps and show them in the user map menu.

If any map is going to pull it off, then it'd be "the best of the CBPs where the 'best' mappers in the community join forces for a large epic adventure".
Wall whore.

Forge

going off the convo at duke4 about which maps to post
a good place to start is the map listing page here which has 99 down to 80 already sorted
http://www.scent-88.com/mapbase/maplistings.php
and MSDN's hotmap page which also can be sorted by score (and conveniently notes if mods like dukeplus are required)
http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php

Micky C

Well there's some kind of note over it in the workshop saying it isn't compatible with megaton, and I can't see it anywhere in any of the lists of items, so it seems as though it's become publicly hidden as a result. Might as well delete it then.
Wall whore.

Forge

there is some tror which probably isn't compatible with the older JonoF port

if you're that determined on pushing eduke, figure out another way to promote offsite maps. If you can get people to MSDN they'll find their way to Duke4 & eduke

Puritan

Finally got around to play this map ( my oid comp imploded when I tried....).
It was a wonderful journey, for sure.
Took me exactly one hour  :P
Thanks to all involved.
And the music track by Mike Norvak suits the theme perfectly!

Now onto today's stupid question:
I started the game with the included *.bat file.
It seemed to pick 32-bit as default?
Anyways, it wasn't too bad in HRP mode either  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

i think it was because at the time 8bit wasn't completely compatible and it threw ror/hom visual bugs, so 32bit got used as the default

next stupid question of the day:
now that you've played it, do you think the review score is fair?