Half-Life 2

Started by Puritan, 03 December 2011, 20:11:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambini

Oh thanks for noticing! Something really interesting happened with that contest. Someone was claimed as the winner, but after a lot of complaints from the usual and not so usual posters, Phillip decided to change it to two winners, being I the benefited of such change. In other words, he kind of regreted from his original decision but didnĀ“t want to kick away the original winner.

http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/important-update-about-elevatorville/

Puritan

That's good to hear, Gambini  ;)
I read all the posts over at PP and it seemed that your map was a favourite.
I haven't tried the maps yet. But I certainly will in the weekend.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Yeah the map is visually pretty awesome.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Finally, Black Mesa Source is released  :)

A massive 3 Gig download is waiting on my HD when I'm home from work tonight.
I'll be turning off my phone, locking the door, beers in the fridge and turning down the lights.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Wall whore.

Puritan

^No, I've known this since the first day :)
But I haven't been able to download until today.
I haven't had the time to play it either.
This is my first weekend since July where I have "all the time in the world".
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

Your time will be well spent.

Prepare to relive the same things Half life made you feel, first time you played it.

Loke

One of the best mod of all times. Enjoy it.  ;D

Puritan

Since I'm having a summer vacation these days I spent most of the day on the recently relased Half-Life 2 mod The Citizens Returns.
This package holds all three versions of the mod including a few new maps.

A wonderful mod that I've put into my "Hall of Fame" folder.
Recommended!
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  22 September 2012, 01:05:02
Your time will be well spent.

Prepare to relive the same things Half life made you feel, first time you played it.

Having only played the original half life for the first time a few years ago, I felt that the game had horrible, horrible pacing, and never had the patience to finish it. Black Mesa managed to maintain my interest and I enjoyed it throughout.

IMO Half Life relied heavily on its scripted sequences, and while I imagine they were pretty groundbreaking and effective back in the day, these days a lot of the sequences are incredibly lame. I'm talking more about enemies bursting through doors, and the scientists dying; my feeling during these was very strongly "so what". The ways in which you interact with the game to kill the bosses is still a bit neat.

In that respect, HL hasn't aged that well. At least with DN 3D, the focus was on the level design, and simple yet effective combat mechanics, and in that respect has aged much better. The perfect blend of abstract and realistic that is DN3D level design has never been matched by any other game IMO.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Map design in Half-Life is awesome: The whole facility feels like an actual location.

Quote from: Puritan on  28 July 2014, 18:31:53
Since I'm having a summer vacation these days I spent most of the day on the recently relased Half-Life 2 mod The Citizens Returns.
This package holds all three versions of the mod including a few new maps.

A wonderful mod that I've put into my "Hall of Fame" folder.
Recommended!

I found the whole thing very unimpressive. The gameplay was too Metro-like where you constantly have to wait for someone to open up doors for you. It got a bit better toward the end but there was nothing that hadn't been done better in other HL2SP mods.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

James

QuoteMap design in Half-Life is awesome: The whole facility feels like an actual location.
Indeed - there's a reason Black mesa facility still resonates with me to this day, valve knew what they were doing from day one.

Puritan

Think I know what kind of gift I'm gonna by for myself this Christmas  8)

Gordon's HEV-suit hoodie
Oh when I'm old and wise

Captain Massive

Massive Out....

Puritan

I'm currently re-playing the HL2 mod "Precursor".
One of my all time favourite mods.
If you haven't tried that one you really should give it a spin  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise