Wanting to map again

Started by Sanek, 27 August 2012, 19:58:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Texturing looks good for the most part. Detailing and construction for the indoor areas looks decent; sometimes less is more. Over the top makes things crowded and claustrophobic which is never good.

The only major downs I can come up with:

the street area seems a bit too empty and under detailed.

shading needs more contrast between the adjoining walls to add depth and atmosphere (i.e. two adjoining walls -at 90 degree corners- should have different shade values, preferably by at least 4 ticks. you could go less, like maybe 2 ticks, but the appearance will still be "blended" unless viewed from a distance)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Gambini

QuoteThe only one skeptical is Gambini (and that's Gambini being Gambini, you should be used to it by now). You're the only one who ever brings it up anymore. If anything, I've defended you on several occasions.

Why you put me in that position? I haven´t said anything about whatever you are talking.

Micky C

Quote from: Forge on  04 September 2012, 01:00:40
the street area seems a bit too empty and under detailed.

When I first saw the street my first thought was that it was unfinished. It could use some street light posts and maybe a car to help fill it up.

The indoor areas look kinda neat, although they could use some trimming to add depth.
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  04 September 2012, 05:41:29
Why you put me in that position? I haven´t said anything about whatever you are talking.

I was referring to the fact that you two don't particularly get along very well, and you are very strong willed when you have your mind made up.

Sorry and apologies all around. I wasn't very clear and I over stepped a boundary with false implications. I was not trying offend.

Sanek

Oh, I forgot to say that I don't even complete the streets and shading, sorry!

Merlijn

Hi there, cool to see you mapping again!

Shots look good, be sure to not make the indoor sections too cramped though. Also, the wall texture in the last shot is too stretched out IMO, the big pixel look ugly.

Gambini

Quote from: Forge on  04 September 2012, 14:05:02
I was referring to the fact that you two don't particularly get along very well, and you are very strong willed when you have your mind made up.

Sorry and apologies all around. I wasn't very clear and I over stepped a boundary with false implications. I was not trying offend.

I don´t hold any anger towards Sanke. I even proposed peace sometime ago and the post were ignored. But I don´t blame him, that "girl" I introduced to him in It Lives was surely a pain in the ass for him, literally  :P

Sanek

Quote from: Merlijn on  04 September 2012, 16:39:43
Hi there, cool to see you mapping again!
Thank you, Merlijn! It's cool to see that you still in community! ;)
I'm afraid that I can't do the map on the level on Dayz. :(
To show some progress, I'll post two screenshots from the hi-tech locations of the city level(sounds weird...), probably the most typical you ever saw in your life.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

while "typical" they show potential. nice texture combos and detailing.

the only thing i might change is in the first screen shot. I'd align the square design of the texturing of the ceiling and floor with the corners of the room, but that's just nitpicky

Sanek

I just found a space-themed map on my hard drive. If I have some free time, I have to finish it, but I'm afraid that I can't do such map very interesting for anyone - who was interested in linear Doom-like space-themed maps?
Add some screenshots. Is it have some future?

Sanek

2 more.

Puritan

I can't see why not?  ;)
Releases are rare these days.
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

MSandt

Space maps have been a rare treat for many years now.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

true. they used to be a dime a dozen and everybody was making them. nowadays it seems the majority of releases are cities styled maps.

i say give it a shot Sanek then get yourself a beta tester who'll help with useful advice (instead of only telling you what's broke)