Camera at the ceiling, watching down to the floor

Started by David B., 27 September 2012, 12:57:19

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to set up camera with a vertical angle of view, I mean so that when you're looking at the viewscreen you'll have a top view of the room (totally from above) while the camera is centered at the ceiling. The angle would be pointing the bottom direction instead of being forward.

?

David B.

Puritan

I think you can set the angle of the camera with "shading" the camera.

Edit: Utilities
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I think he knows about that, he's asking if it's possible to point the camera completely down.

I'd have to say. At a guess the camera's vertical angle limit would be the same as Duke's, so just as Duke can't look completely up or down, neither can the camera. Still, set it to the maximum shade and see how far it goes, but prepare to be disappointed.

Edit: In case you're interested, in the classic and polymost renderers, it's physically not possible to render vertical views. In polymost if you look completely up or down you'll get a bit of HOM error near the top or bottom of the screen respectively. Polymer can do it though. However, in order to get Duke to actually look up or down, the developers would have to completely recode the way Duke's vertical aiming works, which could potentially break mod support so they'll never do it.
Wall whore.

David B.

Hummm ok.

Many thanks, at least I know what I cannot do for a little trick I'm thinking in a near future project.
I'll find another way...

David B.

Puritan

How about making a sloped mirror and then put the camera in front of the mirror?
Dunno if it's possible, though. Just an idea from the top of my head here at work  ;D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Also impossible, floor mirrors are unsupported.

Unfortunately, there is no way around the camera limitation, the range is -99 to 299 (100 looking forwards) - hardcoded.

As I don't know what you are trying to make, my suggestion might be useless, but couldn't you just build something on the wall, maybe using spritework?
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

That's not right. Duke 3D's shade doesn't even go above 128.

You'll find that a shade of 0 points straight ahead (that's why they're always pointing straight ahead in noob maps), and it goes from -128 to 128. I could never remember which one makes it point up or down though.

Edit: Here's the infosuite page on cameras. It doesn't say much about the shades and vertical angles, but dark shades make it point up, and vice versa for negative shades. That makes sense I guess.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Seems you're right... I was thinking of "camerahoriz" - which is useless to you unless you are writing CON code.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

David B.

I wanted to simulate a computer screen with sprites, so that when the player is using a viewscreen he can read it as if he was in front of a laptop or computer.
I wished to avoid a sprite work on a wall cause it would have been a lot easier to write on a floor and put a camera above.

By the way, I don't remind the exact limitation of sectors and walls we can use in a map- I've just had a look in the wiki but ? - someone knows ?

David B.

Puritan

4 x the limits you'll see when opening Mapster32  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Sectors is 4096, and walls is 16380 roughly. But it should tell you at the bottom of the screen when you've not nothing selected or highlighted. (It starts of showing the original game's limits, but as soon as you exceed the old limits or use TROR it switches over to the newest format and shows the full limits, as well as how many resources you've used.)
Wall whore.

David B.

Oh yeah, that's right it's on the bottom of the screen.

You're right about the fact TROR buildings consume a lot of resources.
Well, the city has already shrunk... lol

That's not so much...
David B.