Front page stuff

Started by Puritan, 04 December 2011, 17:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

^You mean something like a mapping competition, if I understand you correctly?
If that's what you mean I have already something like that on my drawing table  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Arghantyl

Yahoooooo !

And how i can send you my files ? I cannot add 'em by email.Email me and give your address  :)
Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  11 December 2011, 19:32:08
Quote from: Arghantyl on  11 December 2011, 18:22:42

There's no DM maps here  :o

I can submit two of mine :
_The new version of "spaceship to fix"
_Doomed duel

If you want,i 've some overpalyed maps from zillas,tyrannous python and some unknown ones if you never touched to yang  :D

Can i add my old "Paradisiac shopping" too ? Iv'e made a new version...

PS : New version means Texturing fixes,less bugs...
PPS : Where can i sent my files ?

I need links, attached files, or e-mail them to me
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Arghantyl on  12 December 2011, 13:32:10
_Mapper of the month is not focused on news map ?

The intent on mapper of the month is to give props to accomplished mappers from the past and present, not to focus soley on new mappers. That's what latest map is for. My only suggestion would be to expand the latest map from one (two if you count latest mod), to maybe four for the next year or so because I predict alot of uploads will be occurring over that initial time span while the database is being filled.

Quote from: Arghantyl on  12 December 2011, 13:06:09
Well,let me expresses my opinions :

_I can easily review all DM's (i play them  ;) ).
For the ones i've created,i will just review the gameplay and another body will rate the aesthetic,shading work,...etc...

_For my next reviews(if you allow me  ;) ),it's necessary to give an official marking scheme.When i see that RPCD got 94/100 ,i was sick.23 : 17 deserved 140/100  :-\
It was the big problem of DNR.

I see no problem with you submitting reviews for DM maps, but the general rules still apply, provide the file, the write up, and 6 screenshots.

I don't think reviewing your own maps will fly very well though. Due to personal biases, other people will assume you're giving yourself unfair high marks. Whether you have the integrity to score your maps properly or not doesn't matter, it's the impression of other people looking at it and assuming you don't.

The big problem with the reviews at DN-R was the fact that all the "official" reviewers bailed on the site and left one moderator there by himself. Keeping the site up and running became a huge chore by itself so he didn't have the time to do full reviews. That put him in the position of having to ask the community for assistance. Now you have multiple people submitting reviews. While the write-ups themselves were fairly good, now you a have a situation where everyone has a different sense of scoring a map so there was no common scale from one map to the next.
I really don't have much of an issue with that because the many submissions from many different people actually created a colorful spread of interesting reading from one style to the next. Not everyone has the same skill as Mikko to be able to write fresh reviews over and over. To me it made the write ups actually mean something instead of the same general, half-paragraph blurb from the same individual over and over.
I don't think the scores varied too wildly from one person to the next. Probably no more than up to 5 points one way or the other (about the same as some of my scores varied from Mikko's). Sometimes you just have to look at who did the review and compare it to their general disposition and tastes.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  12 December 2011, 15:01:22
My only suggestion would be to expand the latest map from one (two if you count latest mod), to maybe four for the next year or so because I predict alot of uploads will be occurring over that initial time span while the database is being filled.

It's on my to-do list  ;)
I encountered that problem with multiple uploads / releases on the same day..

Having four slots for new releases is over the top at normal circumstances.
But as Forge pointed out; It's a good idea to have a temporary four slot area for releases while we pull the database together :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

It seems to be something odd going on about zip files downloaded from review pages.. :o
I downloaded "Hydrofusion Substation" and unzipped it with no problems but there are zip files that seems corrupted.
Didn't find any messages on my host homepage about anything unusual going on...
Oh when I'm old and wise

Arghantyl

I just want to describe the gameplay of my maps as tests showed it.DM's experience are really different than sp's.
A DM gameplay can be really impossible to rate because it owns to player's personality .

Some maps are mostly targeted on dexterity,others are mostly strategical ,others are focused on the prediction of opponet's moves...and this,with a lot of combinations.

To be fair,i've stopped to play online for a while because usually people prefer Rpg's kickass,cheated maps (which contains secrets that have all stuff) than intelligent maps like "hollywood holocaust" or others.
So my maps are not overplayed  :-[

(But i know the formulae to make atttractiv/stupid DM so, await me for making a legend 8) )

Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

Quote from: Arghantyl on  12 December 2011, 18:33:29

I just want to describe the gameplay of my maps as tests showed it.DM's experience are really different than sp's.
A DM gameplay can be really impossible to rate because it owns to player's personality .

Some maps are mostly targeted on dexterity,others are mostly strategical ,others are focused on the prediction of opponet's moves...and this,with a lot of combinations.

Sounds fair to me  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Seems the files you first uploaded (before the forum was off the ground) are corrupt as are several of the most recent ones, only a couple of the latest ones that have recently been reviewed and bunged to the server are fine (hydrostation, cyberduke - i didn't check them all), . I think you need to delete all files and re-upload them with fresh ones.

the zips act like they're either weren't "completely" uploaded or "completely" downloaded. keeps giving the "unexpected end of file" error

Puritan

It isn't quite like that either...
Retaliation is a "fresh" upload....and with corrupted zip file.
i simply don't understand it  :(

I've re-zipped and re-uploaded several zip's with no luck.
I did use different programs to zip 'em up too...
And the files act like normal on my comp.

Must be a ftp client and/or server issue.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

hydrofusion substation, cyberduke, extermination, are the only maps/ mods that are good. the rest of the files are corrupt (i can open and repair them with winrar, after that they work fine)

i can only guess that something went wrong with them during upload/added to the database

Forge

The file you attached to the post in the map thread works just fine, so it's not your comp that's causing the problems (unless there's some anti-virus/firewall software that's restricting your ftp protocol)

Forge

did some reading at the help forum, don't know if this will help
these are taken out of context because I didn't want to quote the whole thing, but these were problems with attached and uploaded files using ftp

If you use ASCII file transfer type, the downloaded file will be all messed up.  You must use type "I" or "img", rather than ascii

Your FTP client will download these files as ASCII files if you have "AUTO" turned on under "Transfer Type"!!!!  This corrupts the attachments and makes them unusable.  I re-downloaded my /attachments folder from my old server with "BINARY" turned on under "Transfer Type" and once re-uploaded to my new server, everything works perfectly again.

If you test the Zip file before uploading it to an FTP server and no errors are reported, but after uploading the Zip file is damaged, the behavior is likely to be due to corruption of the Zip file during the file transfer. Please note that when transferring via FTP, the binary mode must be used; a text or ASCII transfer will always result in corruption of a Zip file

Puritan

Thank you for your concern  ;)
I think I found it.
The newest version of ftp client "Filezilla" seems to be the bad guy.

I've downloaded an another ftp client and now it works!

I was starting to sweat now... :-[

Edit: It turned out to be that ASCII/Binary thing that you mentioned in your previous post.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

glad you found out the problem and it was an easy fix. the files seem to be fine now and also appear to download faster than before

just in time, i sent another map review to your hotmail  ;)