Front page stuff

Started by Puritan, 04 December 2011, 17:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Quote from: ck3D on  13 December 2014, 11:38:26
trying to download turok 2 off this site, i am getting the following error :

'Abort, you reached your download limit for this file. Only one download a month for each entry. - Admin'

it is the first time i am trying to download this map from this site, so i have no clue what's going on. does it happen to anyone else ? i can and will snag the map from MSDN so it's all good on my end, just thought i would report that problem still

edit - actually no, it's not all good on my end - the map hasn't been reviewed on MSDN yet. so i'll have to wait

See your inbox  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

I was wondering if it might be cool for dukers to have their own live video chat room here at CGS?
It can be easily implementet on the site.
The app will allow up to eight users online.

Free of charge and no password/user name necessary  ;)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Doubt there's much call for it, most people just exchange their Skype details when they want to talk I think...

Though if you did implement such a system, I'd be sure to come and terrorize it.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

I'm moving the sites content to a new web server this weekend.
The reason would be an upgrade from PHP 5.3 to ver 5.5.

The site might be a bit slow from time to time.
I hope it will not cause to much trouble  :)

Edit: Seems that something went wrong in the process causing the complete download table to disappear  ???
My eyes are red and moisty by now.
I'll try to sort it out tomorrow night CET.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Some of you might noticed that the site was down several hours last night (CET) returning either a 503 or 404 error.
That was not me  ;D
It was a massive power failure in the building where my hosts servers are located.
Of course, when the diesel generators kicked in it caused some sort of overload to the systems.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Such a quality backup power system.
Wall whore.

Puritan

The front page has undergone a little overhaulin' as of today.
Hopefully the front page is possible to read on pads and phones as well.
It's built on the latest HTML 5 and CSS 3.

If you encounter errors, broken links and so on I'd appreciate a note about it here  :)
(the "latest 4 maps..." slider is a bit buggy)
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

front page works fine on a phone here. took me a minute to locate where to click to access the forums though ; the menu thing appears in the upper right corner of the image for the recently added maps which is a little confusing (you don't instantly recognize it's a functional menu, especially because it's semi-transparent). maybe it would need its own tab (or maybe it doesn't matter because i am not sure a lot of people access duke sites from their phone anyway, they are gamers for the most part therefore probably use PC's). besides that it's working all right i think !

Puritan

Sorry guys.
In order to rebuild the site to meet new requirements from server host and Googles policy about kicking out sites that is not phone / pad-friendly I had to take down all reviews.
Now, I could open pages such as: Hall of Fame, Mapper of the Month, Statistics and the News page, but I find it rather useless since there is no maps available atm.

I'm working on a solution for the reviews / maps  :)

Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Why would your host require something like that? Isn't that your problem?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Quote from: MSandt on  07 August 2015, 23:26:21
Why would your host require something like that? Isn't that your problem?

Could be bad explained from me...
The server host doesn't allow certain php scripts inside the www-area anymore.
The review pages holds a couple of 'em each.....counting some 2200 bad scripts  :P

So, when I'm forced to take action about the review pages anyway, it is a good time to prepare for the upcoming Google policy.
Oh when I'm old and wise

MSandt

Yeah it's annoying, just have to get used to the fact that most people browse websites on their phones or something.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Puritan

Update:
This is how it's gonna look like on the reviews.

Testmap

Note that the links on the "Other maps by this author" doesn't work as of yet.
Oh when I'm old and wise