[RELEASE] Brooklyn Bridge

Started by pbolduc, 12 October 2012, 06:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

pbolduc

Hi guys,

I know I haven't been on the forums here lately. Forgive me I've been busy with a new map. =)

Before I get too carried away the first thing I want to say is thank you to Micky C, Methy & David B for spending a lot of time with me testing this map and helping me along the way. Without their help this map wouldn't be the same.

So for those who have been waiting patiently I believe this map is now ready for you to play and have fun with. This map supports: Single Player/Death Match/Co-op play when Eduke permits. Only play this map using the Polymer Renderer.

Before playing the map please read the readme file first. It may help you with your objectives. This is the first time I have ever made a more linear style map.. However, the map will open up the further you go and you will have choices as to how you choose to fight your battles. I didn't make this map extremely difficult so I would recommend playing it on Come Get Some for the more experienced players who want to be challenged. The player difficulty settings have been set for all 3 difficulties.

Have fun and remember to come back here and provide feedback so that I can continue to improve on my mapping!

Can someone at this site please play, review and publish this map on this fine website? Thank you!

CGS - Download

Gambini

This is something i just posted in Duke4.net, I´m not in the mood of writting it again so I´ll just repost it here:

QuoteFunny how all the sprites in your benchs match exactly sizes, positions, angles, flips, panning values and -in proportion- shading of the benchs I did in my It Lives map. And not without a warning, considering we discussed about that.

If you´ve been taught to read, these lines are directly copied from It_lives.txt:

Do not use this map as a base for another map.

Do not copy/paste this map or part of its content in another map.

Do not modify this map in any way. If you find a bug, just send me your report to gallo.luciano1@gmail.com

YOU WERE NOT ALLOWED, AND PREVIOUSLY WARNED TO NOT COPY STUFF OFF MY MAP. One thing is inspiration, another thing is copypasting.

I please request any administrator to remove this map from the forum until all the stuff ripped from my map is removed/replaced. This is copyright infringment.

I hope you get buttraped by a blue whale, Paul B!

Puritan

Quote from: pbolduc on  12 October 2012, 06:03:05
Can someone at this site please play, review and publish this map on this fine website? Thank you!

Wow, that's great  ;)
I can't play Polymer but I think Forge is capable to do so.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

pbolduc

Purtain did you get my private message about my old map i did back in high school? I can't believe you found that.

It was a shock to be starring at one of my old maps on your site. I didn't think I left any trace of those anywhere to be found but on my hard-drive. I'm surprised you'd even take the time to play it. I don't like really anything about my old original maps other than it taught me how to use the build editor.  I was quite young back then I didn't really have a good grasp on map making. Thanks for taking the time to play and review my prison map. I wonder if you'll find any others I have made about 30 user maps back in 1997/1998 =P

Puritan

Yeah, I've received your message.
My reply is submitted.

You'd be surprised if you had a chance to shuffle through my HD.
It can't be many maps out there that I doesn't have in my possesion  :D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Loke

Posted my thoughts over at Duke4 but overall I just wish Polymer was more stable. Some areas are almost impossible to navigate; I had to, numerous times, run and activate enemies and literally lead them to a safer area in which the framerate wasn't completely shit, otherwise it was ridiculously hard to aim properly.

Forge

I understand Gambini's point if those benches are indeed exact copies; then permission should have been obtained first. The other side of the coin is that they are small, decorative items and not sections of a map or large constructions. Sounds like a community issue; majority rules.

I've a full plate atm, so I'll get to this within a few days.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

pbolduc

Dont review or play this map yet. I just realized i broke a door switch when deleting a touchplate. I want to fix this minor mistake. I am also considering changing my benches and removing Gambini's name completely off the credits of my map after I make a few subtle changes. I dont want his name associated with anything that i do anyway because in the end its not really that great anyway.

Forge

Quote from: pbolduc on  12 October 2012, 16:34:19
... I am also considering changing my benches ...

probably for the best. it bothers him too much and it's not worth the negative atmosphere it causes between two mappers.

I'll hold off until you post an update

Gambini

Quote from: Forge on  12 October 2012, 16:03:19
I understand Gambini's point if those benches are indeed exact copies; then permission should have been obtained first. The other side of the coin is that they are small, decorative items and not sections of a map or large constructions. Sounds like a community issue; majority rules.

Small... big... What´s the difference? He´s ripped stuff off my map without my permission.

High Treason

I came over here to get away from this shit.

We get it, he borrowed something from your map, shit happens, grow a pair and learn to live with it, there are far more important things than a heap of sprites to worry about.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  13 October 2012, 01:47:50
Small... big... What´s the difference?

The difference between small and big?

small= using the same textures to make a book case that's used in every map that has a book case, or a soda machine, or pinball machine, or vending machine, or couch, or chair, or television, or just about any other piece of furniture, wall art, decoration, or the cookie cutter jeep that's an exact duplicate in almost every map, etc., etc., etc.

big= copying the entire room or locations those items are in, or copying huge and elaborate structures

so your bench = small

I do understand your point of view, but I don't particularly agree with how much out of proportion this seems to have been blown up (especially at the other forum - maybe a little more tact and a lot less blunt force trauma would have gained positive results without all the bickering).

Puritan

Remove benches = remove dust in your eye  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

The map has been updated and posted at the other forum. The benches in question are still present and only slightly modified, but apparently they're still pretty much the same benches.

If I review this map and you decide to host it Gambini will be upset (which is within his right, since the benches are taken from one of his maps without his permission - I'm not going to further debate on the subject of the proportions of his discontent and the methods of which he chooses to voice his ire).

Your site Puritan, so it's your call boss (Is a map worth the prospect of potentially running off a community member?)

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  13 October 2012, 20:29:56
Your site Puritan, so it's your call boss (Is a map worth the prospect of potentially running off a community member?)

No, it isn't.
We've been through som copy/paste issues in the community in the past and it wasn't exactly fun.
I haven't played it nor can I play it so I must take your words for it.
Maybe Paul should modify it a bit more?

So, the map will not be hosted as it is.
Oh when I'm old and wise