General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Tired of making a new thread for every tiny little quick fix problem  ;)

First question:
Is it possible to make a sliding door (SE 15) effect work with touchplates? I've never gotten it to work and it would come in handy.
Wall whore.

Forge

No.

At least not directly. There may be a work around where a touchplate activates something else which then activates the door (try using the high tag of an SE 15 for a shared effect number) , but I've never explored trying to activate a sliding door using a chain of sequences, so I don't know if it's possible either.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  20 October 2012, 14:21:12Is it possible to make a sliding door (SE 15) effect work with touchplates? I've never gotten it to work and it would come in handy.

I haven't tried this idea out, so I'm just throwing it out there. Would the trick to making 'timed respawns' also work here? Have it activate a ST20 door which then triggers a second activator upon closing, which affects the slide door?

Micky C

Alright, I'll give those a go when I have some time, thanks.
Wall whore.

David B.

I've got a problem to submit : is there any command in mapster to replace every texture in a map with a certain tile number, by another one this automatically ?

I just do not want change an ugly skybox "sector by sector", moreover it just doesn't work properly cause there's always a remaining sector somewhere you haven't changed and you even cannot find it, and of course there's a glitch in the parallax when you're in the game with the coexistence of two textures.

Help would be appreciated on this issue !
David B.

Puritan

The InfoSuite

Pastes the stored object texture globally. For example, if you wanted to replace all of the shotguns in your map with chainguns, you would simply copy the chaingun texture to the buffer with Tab, then highlight a sprite using the shotgun texture and press Alt + C. Every sprite in the map using that texture would be replaced with the stored texture! This is object-specific, meaning it will only affect the textures of the currently highlighted object type (floor, ceiling, solid wall, masked wall, or sprite), and it only affects the picnum (texture). No other attributes are modified. All of these traits combine to make this one of the most useful functions in the editor.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

Alt - C is useful, but concerning parralax skies, I tend to use CTRL - Enter with the new texture in my clip board. However it only replaces nearby connecting skies, so you'd have to use it again in a seperate area with parralaxed ceilings. CTRL - Enter copies every property of a texture (shade/pal) and replaces every connecting parralax within the area, while ALT-C replaces ONLY the texture, across the entire map. Just use which is more appropriate to your intentions.

David B.

ok thanks.
I hoped there were a command to change every texture at one time as powerful as the ´P when changing the palettes.
Here we only can replace the nearby connecting skies even so, it's a little bit sad...
David B.

quakis

Quote from: David B. on  28 October 2012, 14:01:38
ok thanks.
I hoped there were a command to change every texture at one time as powerful as the ´P when changing the palettes.
Here we only can replace the nearby connecting skies even so, it's a little bit sad...

Actually it is possible with any texture/surface, sorry if I caused any confusion. Just read Puritan's post. My post was just an alternate method with a similar function, which I feel is more useful.

Also, cheers for the heads up about 'P - didn't even knew that existed. Pretty handy!

Micky C

Wow, I didn't know experienced mappers like Quakis would have benefitted from my speed mapping guide, this is actually quite humbling!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vII1ILXvNjCYhdo-As7ndoKUbeXnHW8elS4ieZWWWTw/edit

I guess it could probably use an index or something to better tell the user exactly what's in the guide without having to skim the entire document, or at least a list of things that can be done in bulk so that mappers at least know what is possible.
Wall whore.

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  21 October 2012, 01:45:34Alright, I'll give those a go when I have some time, thanks.

Did you have any luck?

Micky C

Actually when I tested it out, the sliding door worked by itself without any helper sectors or anything  :o

It was just a square with the effect inside but I don't think it's any different to the proper sliding door. (or is it?)
Wall whore.

Forge

it behaves the same as far as the mechanics go. it's the method i employed when i made the sliding glass doors in my first map since it was easier for me to get the desired effect rather than using the traditional construction technique, but I was unaware that detaching the door from the wall would have any effect on an SE
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

David B.

Hi everyone, happy new year.

Is it possible to make an underwater secret area ?
The problem being I need to set a lotag of 2 to the underwater sector, which means I can't set the lotag 32767 anymore !
Any idea ?
David B.

Micky C

Could you try making a really slim sector with the secret lotag that the player will have to cross to get the actual secret? The underwater pal will remain the same so the player might not notice.
Wall whore.