General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

I'll try, but not easy. There is the SE teleporter function between "above" and "under" the water which couldn't work properly if I create a sector inside but without this effect's lo-tag.

I'll put this aside for the moment, because I've got another problem now which is more relevant in my map :

I've tried to encase an Access Switch in an alcove / sort of cupboard, with a ceiling door covering it (see pictures). Once the door is activated, you can see the switch. But the switch doesn't work, it's working only when I put this sprite directly against a wall. But once the switch is placed as shown on the pictures, the access card doesn't work and nothing happens. The switch is very close from the player, not really deep at all. I don't know why is that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
David B.

Puritan

That's because the player has to "pass through" a tag'ed sector I think.
Replace the sector taged door with a SE31 or 32 or 21  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Yeah generally you don't want different tagged things in the way of what you're trying to do. You don't want a tagged sector between you and a switch for example, and you don't want an elevator sector directly next to a door sector as another example (that's why you often need to shoot switches behind doors that close because you can't press then due to this bug).

Also, if the thin sector trick doesn't work, I'm afraid there's not much else you can do. Underwater sectors are generally annoying to work with when you want to make complex effects like doors or whatever and require workarounds.
Wall whore.

David B.

The trick with sectors 31 has been done, no choice. I had also thought about that solution. Thanks.
For the underwater trick, I'm giving up because I see it's not possible to do it the way I want it.
Many thanks anyway.
David B.

Gambini

The problem with putting a thin secret sector underwater is that the player retrieves all his oxigen and the underwater sound is reset.

Micky C

There are times when it's desirable when you want the player to reset his oxygen underwater. It's a nice trick to cover a thin sector with bubble spawners and have the player pass them to get his oxygen back.
Wall whore.

Micky C

So I want to make a lift where when you press the button to go down, a forcefield activates so you can't leave, then the forcefield switches off when it's reached the destination (I plan to use a two-way train or something for that bit)

But the question is, is there any way that I can get the forcefield to start off deactivated, or maybe some mechanism where I can get the player to deactivate it, while still having it work normally given it needs to work in conjunction with the lift?
Wall whore.

Gambini

You can force the forcefield to deactivate by forcing the player to press a button earlier in the map.

There´s a way to make a button usable only once to ensure the player doesn´t press it again fucking up the sequence: Put a SE 31 in any sector and put a gpspeed 0,0 in this same sector. When SE´s 31 are working, the button which activated it can´t be used again, until the SE31 completes its task. If the gpspeed is set to 0, this means the SE31 will never finish moving, because it moves at 0 speed.

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  18 January 2013, 02:26:17
You can force the forcefield to deactivate by forcing the player to press a button earlier in the map.

There´s a way to make a button usable only once to ensure the player doesn´t press it again fucking up the sequence: Put a SE 31 in any sector and put a gpspeed 0,0 in this same sector. When SE´s 31 are working, the button which activated it can´t be used again, until the SE31 completes its task. If the gpspeed is set to 0, this means the SE31 will never finish moving, because it moves at 0 speed.

That's a really useful tip there, in the past I've used switches behind doors but then you can only press them by shooting. Thanks!

So having the SE31 going won't mess anything up when I use other activators in doors or something to get the forcefield working in timed sequence with the lift?
Wall whore.

Gambini

Not sure how they´d be related. You should play around with it.

Or check It Lives´ ending sequence. I´ve used it there, since I needed buttons not to be re-usable, so Lezing came up with that idea.

Micky C

I'm working on a map where you're in a room and the enemies come at you in waves. I'm using helper sectors with the SE 10 technique to have time delayed respawns.

The problem is, on one of the waves, I want some explosions to happen, however my explosions (seenines with a masterswitch in the sector, correctly tagged) aren't being activated by the activator in the helper sector. Any help on this? (Note: I want an SE 13 to trigger, as well as explosions, because I'm making a hole in the roof for that wave).
Wall whore.

Puritan

Hmmm...you can't have both an Activator and a Master in the same effect, I believe.
What if you set up the explosions the usual way and tag the Master with the correct delayed time span? ( Master tagged with the tag-number from where the player first enter the "zone")

Or am I on thin ice here? ( I'm at work  ;D )
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Well if you mean have it be triggered by with the initial wave but have a long delay, that's too much trial and error to match up the time with the respawns. And if I want to change one of the earlier times, I'll have to do the trial and error all over again.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Use my target method.

Have the trigger for the respawn activate a sector with a shooter in it (2556 - Shrinker) and a target with a Hitag 1. That target will be hit by the shrinker and trigger the explosion (if you link it to a masterswitch) - put another activator in the shooter sector that also matches the Target's Lotag to turn the shooter off again when the target is hit.

Otherwise, replace the target with a SEENINE or something and place a crack next to it that matches the masterswitch, that will deffinitely set it off. You sould then have the ceiling fall after the explosion to stop the target going again. This might be better as the crack can also trigger the SE13.

Edit: Some trivial info - it takes about five seconds for the shrinker to travel the distance of a wall that is just below the threshold for turning blue in mapster.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

Damn! Using shooters is...like genius, HighTreason  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise