General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

DavoX

Guys help me out here please, is there a way for wall alligned sprites to be modified by the SE 8 ? (Up open door lights)

Forge

afaik wall aligned sprites aren't affected by sector lighting effects - just pals
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

DavoX

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!

Forge

i know. i tried to make a flashing neon sign on top of a nightclub in my last map. went through all the work to set up a bunch of cycling sectors, got everything timed just right, and then found out the letters wouldn't light up because they were wall aligned.
(flipped them to floor aligned and it worked great - if you happen to be flying over with a jetpack  :P)

not sure which sprites you're working with or the environment you're working in, but some sprites (mostly actors i believe) take on the shade of parallaxed skies. not sure if that applies to wall aligned or not, but it works on floor and view aligned.  since you're asking about door activated lighting i'm guessing it's indoors, so maybe some fancy camouflaged stretching sectors that expose the sprites to a parallaxed sky sector hidden in the ceiling. -can always throw the sprites you're working with under a parallaxed sky and see what shade they take on to see if it's a viable option-

Merlijn

I need some help: for some reason, teleporters don't work on floating enemies anymore! I don't know why, but it annoys the hell out of me since it screws up an effect I'm working on. Can anyone help or reproduce this?

DavoX

I hope you find the solution Merlijn, in the meantime I post my own map blocking effect problem:

My sliding door just doesn't want to be activated by a switch. I'm trying my best but it's just not happening, the door works fine by walking to it and pressing use, but not when I activate it with a switch. The same switch also activates another door but it's a ST 20 (open up door), even though both doors share the same masterswitch. I'm baffled. Tried with activators and masterswitch, nothing happens.

Puritan

@DavoX:
Give the sliding door a +1 tag on the Activator or Master.

Example: the SE20 door is tagged 10 (A or M).
Then tag the sliding doors A or M with 11

Edit: The A or M inside the sliding door also must have different tags.
Again: Se20 door A or M tagged 10.
The two A or M's inside the sliding door: 11 and 12 tags.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

@DavoX:

If you're confused, open up my map Afterglow; Twin Creeks in Mapster.
See coordinates: X:65397 , Y: 61858  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  29 July 2013, 19:49:27
I need some help: for some reason, teleporters don't work on floating enemies anymore! I don't know why, but it annoys the hell out of me since it screws up an effect I'm working on. Can anyone help or reproduce this?
does lowering the ceiling until their belly drags on the floor work? (if that would fit in with what you're trying to do)

Merlijn

I want an octobtrain to be teleported to a different location in the map. I tried experimenting with different heights of the room and different heights of the sector effector, but nothing works so far.  :(

I'm pretty sure it's possible though, since the effect is also in one of the DNF maps. And is this an eduke32 bug or something? It doesn't seem like an intentional thing.

Micky C

Do you mean that scene from the trailer? That might have been a specially coded con effect (just guessing here), are there any other examples of that effect in a vanilla map?

Also, I didn't know about the +1 with sliding doors  :o
That's baffled me for years causing lots of headaches! Great to finally know how to fix that. Although it's really annoying they made it different like that in the first place...  >:(
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Yeah, I meant the scene from the trailer. The octo seemed to behave according to a certain code, but the effect looked like a regular teleport effect.

I'm also pretty sure teleporters used to work for any enemy: they would simply teleport anything that entered the sector, regardless of height. I'm not sure why this has been changed, I might post about this on duke4.net.. Now the teleporters only work for enemies on foot. This sucks, it screws up something I was eager to implement.  :(

DavoX

Just hold off, don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll find the way. Let me try to recplicate the problem on my end...

DavoX

Well it happens to me as well :(.

MSandt

Yeah the "Octabrain" in DNF is a new actor that only moves in a straight line.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark