General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

So.. I think this can be classified as a bug?

Gambini

I have my Build knowledge and skills rusted and rotten but have you played with the height of the SectorEffector? Certain teleportation effects rely on the height of the SEs, just like water and manhole teleporters.

DavoX

I tried that and it doesn't work .

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  30 July 2013, 21:40:40
So.. I think this can be classified as a bug?
did this effect behave differently in original dos duke?
if it used to work and now doesn't=bug
doesn't mean they'll fix anything if it'll break something else (like billy boy's transparent submersible water)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Well, I find a bit of a work-around with a different effect.. it's not perfect and can be broken though.

What I want is to spawn some floating enemies at a specific time at a specific location. I thought spawning enemies through a teleporter (which gets unlocked through a timed door) was the easiest way to do that, but if you guys know a better method, please share! :)

Micky C

Why not just have a time delay respawn using the SE10-activates all activators in sector thing? Have the respawn sprites off the ground of course.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

I honestly didn't know about that (aren't SE10's used to auto-close a door again?). It's not in the infosuite either. So how do I exactly connect a respawn to that?

DavoX

Gambini teach me that when a door closes with SE 10 (timed delay) it will activate any activators that are inside of it. And activators can activate respanws. I did this in a complex way on my latest map, it was a pain :P

Micky C

Basically you have a helper sector outside the map consisting of a normal sector and a ceiling door with the ceiling down to the ground. You put an SE 10 in the door sector for roughly how long you want to delay the effect. You also put in an activator to be triggered by touch plate or switch to start the timer, and finally you put in any activators or master switches you want to be triggered as the door closes.
When the SE 10 closes the door, it triggers all activators and master switches within the door sector. Great for timed respawns and other times effects. And timed effects can be chained together using multiple helper sectors.

However if you don't want the original activator to be triggered again, a 2-way train would be the better choice for the delay. However the SE 10 trick should do what you want in this case.
Wall whore.

Forge

edit: reread Micky's post and seen that i missed a few things he said
use a one time activated touchplate to save on sector work of making a 2-way train if it fits in with your plans.
if using a switch to initiate the effect - go with the two way train method to start the chain reaction
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

You could also use SE 10 method with a switch if you have a simple helper sector that's merely a ceiling door with the ceiling raised and an activator with the tag of the switch. When the switch is pressed for the first time, the simple door and all other effects trigger as expected, however when you press the switch again, because the helper door sector doesn't have an adjacent sector, there's nothing it can raise up so it doesn't activate, and apparently none of the other effects activate either as a result.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Thanks guys! I'll experiment with this when I get the change, it seems like the best way to go. The effect is not activated by switch, so the SE10 should be sufficient.

Merlijn

It's working like a charm! :D Thanks guys, thanks to you red1 is a better map now.  ;)

DavoX

Merlijn

Working on it. Didn't have much spare time the last few weeks (I had to pass an exam for my drivers license, which is a bit more important to me then build  ;)). But I have some time again now, I still hope to finish it in august.