General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I have a case where the SE 4 isn't changing the shade of the view aligned sprites. That seems pretty unusual to me. Any ideas?
Wall whore.

Captain Massive

Quote from: Micky C on  14 October 2014, 13:27:12
I have a case where the SE 4 isn't changing the shade of the view aligned sprites. That seems pretty unusual to me. Any ideas?

Maybe its just my luck, but I found that some rooms are just stubborn like that, I have one that wont cycle and one that acts like what you described, yet works in other sectors just fine.

What did to get around it was use a spotlight with an animated texture insted which I learned from your FAQ.
Massive Out....

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  14 October 2014, 10:54:32
From the top of my head ( at work....).
Could it be done with putting each letter in a small sector and parallax the "ceiling" of this tiny sectors?
iirc i tried that. made no difference, not even which shade the sprite started off with since they were wall aligned. 

it's been a few years (my last solo map), maybe something's changed since then. like the xvel 1 sprite value to toggle off blocking floor aligned sprites from acting like a floor while underwater that Micky mentioned in another thread. I wish that was around when i made the underwater section in that dam map of mine.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Captain Massive

Here's an idea you could texture the wall instead of using sprites with the letters, if you don't mind the black backround and that should cycle it.

Also why does the palettes not work on cycler's for me? In the book I have it says they should change the colors???
Massive Out....

Forge

they were free-standing letters
the map where i wanted the effect was released 3 years ago, so it doesn't really matter for me anymore other than a curiosity if something's changed to make it possible.

cyclers are not affected by a pallete change. the sector pallete is permanent.

however the SE4 does make use of palletes. SE = pallete when light is off, Sector = pallette when light is on

Captain Massive

Oh OK so the text I was reading was incorrect, thanks that saves me allot of frustration.

For my next level I want to make the Bikini Car Wash and that letter idea would be nice so I'm gonna keep poking that bear until I figure a viable solution, but should probably forget about it for now and cross that bridge later.
Massive Out....

Micky C

Tried using the E4L1 animated paralax sky but it only seems to animate in some sectors. Any ideas?
Wall whore.

Forge

isn't that one of those sky textures that kinda merge itself automatically with the accompanying textures when paralaxed(e.g. like moonsky and bigorbit) ?

i thought cloudyskies and cloudyocean did the same thing, and if your sky is too big and open the player can see the unanimated edge of cloudyocean

i could be wrong. i never really used that particular texture.

MrScienshit

How do I fix this or prevent this from happening? Im just learning to map and this frequenlty happens to the textures. Some texture start from halfway and repeat not starting from the edge. You can see on the image it also happens to other textures with different variups sizes and Im using the right size for things.

Puritan

Hold down 'Shift' and use '4' and '6' on the numpad to adjust respectively to left or right.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Alternatively, hit / to reset the texture scaling and panning then resize it as normal.

There's also some mouse combination you can use to pan with the mouse, either ctrl or shift at the same time as one of the buttons, luckily whenever you press a mouse button lettering appears next to the cursor to tell you what it will do, you can even adjust sector Z by using the scroll wheel this way after holding the button down on a floor or ceiling.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

MrScienshit

Ok, thanks going to try that now.

MrScienshit

Can I rotate a sector? Not make it rotate in the game, but rotate a sector after being selected. For example making an up arrow sector and rotate it to point downwards.

Micky C

Wall whore.

Puritan

Is there a way to make a monster stayput inside a rotating sector?

I've built a rotating sector with the SE1 and a SE0 ( pivot )
Into the sector that is circeling I did put a commander (stayput he is).
Now, he stays inside the sector for a few seconds then he "jumps" outside.
He won't be circeling anymore but he still stays in one spot even though the sector he is residing is quite big.
(I tried to make his sector purple lined but it didn't help. I also built a cage of blocked sprites around him in this sector but didn't help either...)

Anyone with a fix?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise