General Mapster32 Help Thread

Started by Micky C, 20 October 2012, 14:21:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  24 October 2017, 20:17:05
Is there a way to make a monster stayput inside a rotating sector?

I've built a rotating sector with the SE1 and a SE0 ( pivot )
Into the sector that is circeling I did put a commander (stayput he is).
Now, he stays inside the sector for a few seconds then he "jumps" outside.
He won't be circeling anymore but he still stays in one spot even though the sector he is residing is quite big.
(I tried to make his sector purple lined but it didn't help. I also built a cage of blocked sprites around him in this sector but didn't help either...)

Anyone with a fix?
enemies always seem to slide to the outside of a rotating sector like they're in a centrifuge - then they jump out when they get to the edge.

the only suggestion i have is to put the stayput enemy in a child sector inside the rotating sector - then have the child sector move within the rotating sector and track along with the rotation at the same speed.

couldn't tell you if the enemy would stay in it, or end up squished like it was hit by a train, I haven't mapped in years.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

I tried but he slips outside again...
But thanks for giving inputs anyway  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Recently I discovered a new file in Eduke32 when building maps.
It's called ' *.maptags '

Anyone know what the file is for?
Does it need to be included when publishing a map? ( Example: I'm thinking of the *.ain-file that comes with Half -Life 2 maps).
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Aleks

I only recently found out about this one, it's for "convenient tags". Basically, you can write any word instead of numbers to link a channel, for example DOOR1 or something instead, and the maptags file will link these with tag numbers. I got rid of it fast myself, as it's not something I'd need myself - the file is created even if you mistakenly write a letter instead of a number while putting the tag. Don't think it's necessary to include in the release, I think the name-tags are only used for the editing maps, but then it gets converted to numbers, as I've never seen one attached with a map - but I'd recommend doing a quick check if the map alone would work without it, or even better checking that on a short example map with one activator-open door using a convenient door tag instead of regular one.

Puritan

Quote from: Aleks on  18 January 2021, 11:16:08
I only recently found out about this one, it's for "convenient tags". Basically, you can write any word instead of numbers to link a channel, for example DOOR1 or something instead, and the maptags file will link these with tag numbers. I got rid of it fast myself, as it's not something I'd need myself - the file is created even if you mistakenly write a letter instead of a number while putting the tag. Don't think it's necessary to include in the release, I think the name-tags are only used for the editing maps, but then it gets converted to numbers, as I've never seen one attached with a map - but I'd recommend doing a quick check if the map alone would work without it, or even better checking that on a short example map with one activator-open door using a convenient door tag instead of regular one.

Thank you, Aleks  ;)
That naming feature reminds me of the tag-system in the Source engine ( Half-Life....etc.)

Think I'll stick to my "ancient" system.....paper and a pencil to keep track of tag numbers.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Aleks

Yeah I'm also too used to the old system. I don't really write the tags anywhere most of the time, unless setting some effects that require lots of different channel, then I go for example 280XX and XX goes from 01 to whatever is needed. Other than that I just put random 4-5 digit number and check if it's free. There's a useful feature when you hold Left Shift over a sprite, it will show lines connecting to every other object tagged under the same channel.