[RELEASE] Riverside Town

Started by High Treason, 16 December 2012, 07:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

High Treason

This is a short map I have been working on (as you likely know) - it takes place in a small area of a riverside town.

The story goes that Duke was staying in the crappy hotel when the aliens started showing up (which might have been a good thing as the dominatrix liked it rough) - Duke must fight his way accross town to the docks, hoping to use it's radios to contact EDF.

I can't think of much to say about it I didn't already say whilst I was working on it, so I'll list some features;
> A hotel, bar, a power plant and a secret gun store.
> TROR architecture is used in some places, so you'll need Polymer.
> A different kind of puzzle.

Any bugs within a week and I'll try and fix them. As stated, you need Polymer to play but there are no polymer lights.

CGS - Download
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

High Treason

Well, it may work in Polymost, but there may be visual glitches as I never tested it. In the latest build it runs reasonably well on my ageing machine in Polymer.

MSandt

I gave it a quick run (10 minutes to finish) in Polymost (was too lazy to change it). It was of course horribly glitchy so Polymer is an absolute must. Seems like a good map; I'll play it properly later tonight.

Edit: Oh, and those traffic lights are awesome!
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

in que behind dogville. sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in a day. always somebody or something eating them all up like an invisible black hole. there should be a scientific study on this phenomenon.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Ran through it in Polymer (running on a ATI card) and the framerate were pretty alright inside though once outside it did take a nosedive into the unplayable department when looking at certain angles. However, it was playable overall and I could finish it without switching to another rendering mode.

Anyway, pretty damn good map. A bit short but I don't mind it honestly -- every map doesn't need to be a epic gargantuan one hour map with 5000 enemies.
I also think the detailing was good even though you said in the readme that you aren't good at it. The outside was pretty amazing though especially the large bridge with the car lights moving across. Gave it a more vivid atmosphere instead of the usual boring parallaxed skyline.

At the ending I ran across some annoying glitch in that I couldn't properly hit enemies (and neither could they) roaming around on the bridge leading down to the docks while standing at the gates up above.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  16 December 2012, 16:12:32
in que behind dogville. sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in a day. always somebody or something eating them all up like an invisible black hole. there should be a scientific study on this phenomenon.

Here  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Gambini

lol had two hours of fun reading Murphy´s laws. Never get tired of them  ;D

On Topic now: Traffic lights are indeed awesome. The rest of the map is cool but outside it feels rather unfinished. And couldn´t find a damn key in the whole map.

Ohhm... I feel already guilty: Because I know I´m going to use those lights on whatever I do next!

Micky C

Oooooo watch out, Paul B's never going to let you hear the end of it!  :P

Btw are you kidding? I thought the outside looked fantastic! Effective use of TROR for the bridges. I'd love to see a city map with a complex canal system using TROR.
Why is everyone talking about traffic lights? I didn't see a single traffic light. Perhaps you all mean street lights?  ::)

I also think the indoor areas were pretty well done for the most part. I played on the classic renderer and it was predominantly glitch free. Some slight sprite clipping issues but nothing major. People constantly underestimate the power of the classic renderer's TROR capabilities. All it needs is a little bit of care and you could easily make something like Parkade without a single TROR glitch in software.

I think it looks better in software due to the darker, grittier atmosphere.
Anyway health/ammo/monster ratio was pretty good. Level progression and gameplay were good. Puzzles good and fresh. Architecture and detail were good. My review skills are good.
All in all, with everything taken into account, a fresh and above average map for sure. But I dont' know why High Treason decided to make a sprite light in the middle of a TROR sector when he could have easily made a better looking TROR version, especially when using polymer  :o
Wall whore.

Gambini

QuoteOooooo watch out, Paul B's never going to let you hear the end of it!

The very moment I make my own version of that effect, it stops being Paul´s business :P BTW I aint going to make anything so, dont worry.

Look at the distant bridge, and you´ll see lot of lights going and coming, like cars. That´s the effect everybody talks about and it may be that you didn´t see them because you used Software (This is very funny: I telling You to use polymer).

QuoteBtw are you kidding?

I´m under the impression of having downloaded the wrong map. The map has an alphanumerical (something like RT_050_00) and in my opinion it looks rather unfinished.

Micky C

Yeah that is pretty funny. IMO the map does look finished though. It's not jam-packed with details but it's got enough.

Opening the map up again I now see what everyone means. However "traffic lights" is a poor choice of words. I don't know what they're called in other countries but in Australia traffic lights are these things:
Wall whore.

Gambini

What the hell is that? Australian cars have those things attached to the roof or something???  :o

Micky C

Wall whore.

High Treason

Ah, well, I'm glad to know people seem to like this one.

I'll fix that bug with the ramp. This happens due to enemies being unable to move upwards through tror layers, I'll just use stayput enemies so they can't walk on the ramp.

By all means steal the highway idea (traffic lights) - originally the map was called "riverside copyright infringement", featured some very familiar benches and was going to end in a factory making those benches. As for the keys, I thought I'd left them pretty much out in the open, I'll add them to the guide.txt (this was included due to complaints about switch puzzles in previous maps - hence this has a more annoying one).

The idea of a city map with complex canal system is a good one, it could work in an amsterdam/venice like setting, I'm done with these box maps, they have performance issues. I always wanted to make a huge map of the local docks in Blood but it was technically impossible and lacked any gameplay. I did originally have a sector light in that hotel, but it ate about 20fps from the counter and at that point I was still getting more than 100fps but knew I'd do well to remove it.

The map has that filename because I couldn't be bothered to rename it, it's my naming scheme which makes them show up first in the list in Mapster and allows me to track the revision.

I'm amused by the traffic light thing, that's what traffic lights mean in the UK too (these). I think some other countries just have red and green or don't favour their use (i.e, stop signs and such are more common), to sum them up, they are typically used at junctions and red means stop, green means go, the amber color is just a warning of sorts, it basically means stop but you can't always stop safely when it comes on so you can often get away with going through it, there are a bunch of other, more complicated, rules with them as well.

Anyway, glad people like the map, I'll wait a few more days and then add in any needed fixes (i.e, the ramp)

Gambini

Quote from: High Treason on  17 December 2012, 04:31:07
By all means steal the highway idea (traffic lights) - originally the map was called "riverside copyright infringement", featured some very familiar benches and was going to end in a factory making those benches.

I´d like to use that, for sure. It´s a step forward from Red3´s distant lights in what to sense of depth respects. The problem is I have no map to put them on  :(  (or i do?)

About the benches factory. hehe, I had something similar in mind. If I ever make another map, that crime will not be left unpunished  :D  Although seeing how just mentioning the matter raises lot of negative enery, I´ll refrain myself to keep talking about it