[RELEASE] Brooklyn Bridge

Started by pbolduc, 12 October 2012, 06:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

As Paul earned one point thanks to me, he owes me a beer  ;D
David B.

Puritan

I've moved the topic to " Modifications" board since this map is requiring Polymer.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I was always under the impression this place was for WIP stuff, I mean the other forum seemed like a "release" forum to me: "This board is where you announce releases! Also a place for talking about released Duke 3D stuff." The description doesn't differentiate between classic and non-classic. And then again you can argue that this is a somewhat classic release because it doesn't use anything that doesn't come with eduke32. Also, wouldn't it be better having all the release threads in one place anyway?
Wall whore.

Forge

oops.

The score was supposed to be:

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 9/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 9/10
Ambiance: 9/10
Architecture: 19/20
Layout: 19/20
Gameplay/Design: 27/30
Overall: 92/100.

agree with Micky, but it's not my site
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Man, now I must re-upload it once again  ;D

Edit:
Geeezz..

And what is the heading of the two boards???
I do not want strictly modifications in the "Classic Duke 3D" Board.
That should be pretty obvious.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I know polymer isn't "classic", but I perceive it more as a video mode than I do a modification.

There's a couple more threads that probably need to be moved as well then: CBP8, Parkade, & Retaliation.

(all of them can probably be played in 8 bit, but with possible errors or anomalies)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

pbolduc

David I was about to send a beer your way when I saw they took a point from me... So unfortunately no beer for you this time. =)  But thanks for the review guys. I like seeing the break down in score in terms of what could be improved upon. Unfortunately, I seem to lack in the game play and design department and I'm trying to improve on that. =)
Sorry for posting initially in the wrong thread. I didn't realize there was a distinction between Eduke Classic and Eduke Polymer in that area. Anyway I think i'm going to lean towards more classic Eduke so everyone can enjoy the maps with good frame rate and multi-player action! Puritan needs more current classic maps to play!

Puritan

Quote from: pbolduc on  16 October 2012, 02:07:43
Puritan needs more current classic maps to play!

;D
That's what Duke Nukem 3D is all about.
If you like fancy graphics, scripted sequences and physical possibilities I suggest you learn the Unreal or Source engine.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

The gameplay wasn't bad, but I had a lot of fun playing the beta before the enemies were put in, and played the second beta with high expectations only to find the enemy placements weren't as much my cup of tea as say the layout and architecture. As a beta tester gameplay is a touchy topic because it's difficult to distinguish between good/bad gameplay and that of the author's own personal taste. For example I would have preferred a more fast paced gameplay in the map, blowing away tonnes of troopers, but that's just me.

However I think the problem is (and this applied to Parkade as well), is that you built the map and THEN put in the gameplay, and the gameplay had to work around the layout. However IMHO, and hopefully some of the more experienced mappers/players will comment about this because I'm interested in hearing what they're saying, you need to think up some gameplay and then design the layout and architecture around that, and not the other way around. Duke 3D is heavily gameplay oriented compared to games where you're walking along a corridor. You need to at least have a vague idea of what battles you want to take place and build the different sections of your map around those. When I make a map, I always put in placeholder enemies to get a feel of how everything plays out, and to remind myself later, and that helps me figure out what fights should take place later on.
Wall whore.