[RELEASE] Riverside Town

Started by High Treason, 16 December 2012, 07:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Quote from: Gambini on  18 December 2012, 01:43:36
Although seeing how just mentioning the matter raises lot of negative enery, I´ll refrain myself to keep talking about it

I don't really think that's the case. Maybe between you and Paul B since you two were directly effected by it, but I don't think the rest of us mind.

With that in mind I think a bench making factory will be a fabulous and hilarious idea. And btw I'm sure you were working on something with Norvak  ;)
Although for the moment at least he's heavily involved with WGR2 again which is fantastic as he left it in the middle of an episode.

@High Treason I apologise for hijacking your thread. I have to remind myself this isn't Duke4.net sometimes.
Wall whore.

Forge

done

finally snowed here which kept me inside this morning

decent, short little map. the puzzles were interesting, but the health and ammo were way out of proportion to the enemies. construction was alright; kinda fluctuated from one location to the next. some were really nice, others were a bit dull.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

I really think you should should have mentioned that software is the best substitute if you absolutely can't play with polymer, or something like that. Anyway thankyou for saying "lights of traffic".
Wall whore.

Forge

i put up a thread for this at Duke4.

you may have your disagreements with certain individuals at that site, but the whole community shouldn't miss out on your work at the expense of one or two people.

High Treason

I noticed, thanks. I might not be done over there anyway, fingers crossed.

On the other hand, I didn't know it had been reviewed here yet (Thanks to you and to Mikko as well) and I'm honestly surprised by the score because I expected it would at least do better than EDF Computer Base. As long as my score doesn't decrease with future releases, I'm not that fussed... Right, that's it, next time I'm determined to get 89 and knock that piece of junk off the top of my personal list.  ;D
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

so...you'll keep making maps until you finally outscore one of your other projects?...hmm (formulates evil plan)

MSandt

Quote from: Micky C on  19 December 2012, 00:56:07
I really think you should should have mentioned that software is the best substitute if you absolutely can't play with polymer, or something like that.

I don't test maps in the 8-bit mode because it lags and won't let me adjust brightness/gamma settings (unless I play windowed, which is even worse) so I wouldn't know.

Quote from: High Treason on  19 December 2012, 20:32:10
I'm honestly surprised by the score because I expected it would at least do better than EDF Computer Base.

Yeah that's odd, I remember that map being quite amateurish.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

well if we want to discuss why I came to the conclusion I arrived at:

EDF was more consistent and even with its texturing, detailing, trimwork, and ambiance from start to finish. Riverside was sporadic; really well done areas intermingled with cramped and/or unadorned locations which affects the overall quality. The game-play in regards to combat was also more balanced in the EDF map. But it's all just my perception. I try to be fair and impartial when I do a review and do the best I can, but I'm not perfect, so take it for what it is: one person's point of view.

Merlijn

Finally played this one. I had to play it in 8-bit, but the TROR mostly worked perfectly fine for 95% of the time. Anyway, I thought it was a cool map.

Things I liked:
-the construction of the bridge, great use of TROR. You wouldn't be able to get the same results with sprites.
-the hotel was pretty cool (including the intro sequence  ;D), I liked how it felt more open (partly thanks to the TROR I think) and how you could choose your own path through the building.
-reactor room with the sprite works looked good and had a nice setup for combat (some vertical action is always nice).
-the button puzzle near the end was original and well executed, really liked that one.
-as the rest said: those distant moving lights were a nice touch.

Things I didn't really like:
-some locations were really cramped, such as the bar. I even got squished by a door in there!
-I would have liked the outdoor sections a lot more if there were some more streets and locations to visit, so many roads were blocked and it felt very restrictive because of that.
-last combat was a bit too easy.