Review of DM maps

Started by Arghantyl, 27 January 2013, 13:47:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Arghantyl

I've noticed than no one write reviews for DM's map,especially for "Hell Awaits" from Merlijn van Oostrum.
It's a really good map  and i wanted to submit one.
So, can i ?

Extra question : Can i re-upload the final version of "Spaceship to fix" ?
Another day,another challenge.

Puritan

Be my guest submitting new reviews  ;)

I'm a bit sick and tired of people releasing maps and find some bugs and wanting reupload and then...reupload....  :-\
Do not release a map until it's done!!

PS: I don't want to take down the spaceship review page and then build a new one.
But you may attach a new RAR file  ;) ( named exactly the same as the original)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

reviewing DM maps would be great. expanding on the subject and bringing it up before that road is crossed; reviewing your own maps would be questionable.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Arghantyl

Doesn't matter for the old review.
I've changed the weaponry for a better balance in the gameplay.
Texturing and shading have been definitely fixed and improved too.
The Spaceship.txt. is so the new review  :)

Quote from: Puritan on  27 January 2013, 14:12:54
I'm a bit sick and tired of people releasing maps and find some bugs and wanting reupload and then...reupload....  :-\
Do not release a map until it's done!!

Sorry man. It's the natural process for a Dm to be tested and improved, multiplying versions.
That's true i've released spaceship too early and that's why i'm gonna not release the new one i've made until i reach the perfectness  ;)

Puritan

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Sorry to kinda hijack, but does this mean that if I make some updates to my old releases and submit them you'd be able to update the ones on the site (assuming I use the same filename)?

If so, does it matter if I change the internal file names? I'm not sure why it would besides the map template, but the only update to that would be the map file name (which represents the number of save increments).
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

No. No more re-uploads.
This is getting out of hands.

I have better things to do, sorry.

A release is a release.
I can find hundreds of bugs in my own maps. I can certainly find thousands of reasons to polish old maps.
But I wont do that.
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

But I explicitly stated in my release threads that the maps were likely to recieve updates, you chose to host content that was highly likely to change. If this is the case I'm affraid to say I'm not amused and don't really want "broken" versions of things floating around on the web.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

I agree. The fact that your kindness on updating files has been abused by some people that updated their maps 10 times a week, is a bad reference to take when other, more reserved, mappers need to update their maps.

Forge

peer pressure.

i'm on high treason's side.

don't let one or two bad apples ruin it for everybody else

Micky C

This might not be the best time but Paul found a stretched texture in one of the secret areas in Parkade... is it ok if we upload the final version?

Jks

Edit: Yeah that map was ridiculous. Took pretty much a year until the "final" final version was done  :o
At least Paul managed to improve his skills through the time he spent polishing it, he managed to pump out that other TROR map in a relatively short period of time and it was fairly good too, plus or minus one of Gambini's chairs  :P
I wonder what controversy he'll start in his next map  ;D
Wall whore.

Arghantyl

Ok,i ve enough tests to write a review.That was hard cuz people just to want play the same maps over and over  :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type : Action
Size : Little
Players : 2-4

"Hell awaits" is a little map perfect for 2-4 players game and composed of 2 parts :  a building and a court.

The most obvious feature of this map is his aesthetic : the spriting work and the texturing never reached such level in the little world of DM maps.
I can just suggest to make closed windows next time because we can sometimes waste precious minutes trying to pass through.

Basic Strategy :
The following quote rule : Grabb Rpg/Shrinker/expander and get Atomic.
The center of the building is constituted of 3 strategic little spaces wich contains 2 Atomic,One rpg with his ammos,and the shrinker with powerful expander ammo.
Every players will move around these places like a bunch of flies around a honey pot.
The shotgun and the chaingun are just average here,use them to defend yourself not to attack.

Shoot Rpg in corridors (you have enough ammos) to prevent players moves,use pipebomb in the tight stairs,and make explodes the players who are in the courts with the expander weapons and your score will go up.
You can use tripbombs only at the spawn places (top of the map) to get additional frags and stero can be useful to flee.

A really good map which i recommend for fast action,tactic fights and realistic atmosphere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need a score ,it will be 98/100  :D

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

@Arganthyl

there's still three CBP maps on this site that need reviews if you want to give them a shot

they're not DM maps, but nobody else has come forward

Arghantyl

Let it go for Suburban Hive 1 :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suburban Hive is a large map which owns hundred aliens to blast,sexy aesthetic and simple puzzles to busy for an half-hour.

To finish the level, you have to explore quarters of towns to retrieve keys / push buttons ,and get back to the main place where you started.
Despite this linear way, it muddles trough this situation with his inventive layout and massive respawns.
The last part is a row of corridors leading to the boss.

The design himself didn't seem to head to realism with his poor sprite work , but the mastery of the palette and the polished architecture charm our eyes.
Every suburban places seems to have been corrupted by another dimension and the music gives a sadness touch.

In two words : play it.

Score : 94/100

-------------------------------------------------------------------------