New CBP?

Started by Micky C, 30 January 2013, 10:29:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

There was talk about beaches over at Duke4.net, and it's definitely a theme that's not done very often in Duke, so why not have a beach themed CBP this year? Something inspired by the spirit of Carribean.

Beaches, bunkers, maybe a little holiday resort, and roads/big bridges to move between the different beaches, underwater sections. To add some continuity it might be a nice idea to have it continue off straight from CBP 8, where you emerge from the escape pod, and the area could be littered with debris from the space station where you can pick up high tech weapons. But that's optional.

Any interest? Keep in mind for those of you who are really busy these days but have the mapster itch, this is the best way to release a high quality product with minimal time and effort.
It won't be as ambitious as CBP 8 in terms of TROR architecture, but I can imagine some nice terrain and atmosphere.
Wall whore.

quakis

Beach themed? I have something lying around I doubt I'll finish, if the response to the project is good I could donate this map to start things off;

Puritan

That looks just sweet, quakis  :)
A shame that you doesn't want to finish it...
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Micky C

Wow yeah, that should fit pretty well if this gets properly started.
Wall whore.

High Treason

I'm probably up for another CBP, though I have never tried beach themed stuff before. To be on the safe side I'd probably do an internal location where a beach could be seen through several windows or something.

But woe betide anybody who tampers with my section.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: High Treason on  30 January 2013, 14:50:09

lol

that almost makes me want to join just to screw with your section to see what happens  ;D
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Captain Awesome

Me was hoping quakeyflakes would get in on this too.
I'm all for it.

Micky C

Well it looks like we've got 4 at the moment which is a great start. I'll wait a bit, then PM a few guys over at Duke4.net who might not visit any forums often and try and hook in a few that way.

Quote from: Forge on  30 January 2013, 16:51:00
Quote from: High Treason on  30 January 2013, 14:50:09

lol

that almost makes me want to join just to screw with your section to see what happens  ;D

Almost?

Wall whore.

Forge

Three reasons for almost:

i sporadically and inconsistently work on the map i've already started. i leave it for a long while, then i splurge and do a session when i have time and inspiration. nobody liked it last time when someone held the map hostage for two weeks then did squat with it. i don't want to be "that guy".

look at the four people who are willing to work on it as of this post  -they all have 1 week CBP under their name. how 'bout some new faces?

this beach cbp is inspired by a section of another mapper's current project (pmw). it's fine to find inspiration where you can. Though it's not an exclusive or original concept and it's not like his work is directly being stolen or his entire project is based on a beach, but mapping on this while he's working on his feels kinda cheap. It's like, "hey, great idea. we're going to take your idea and make our own to steal your thunder". While not necessarily true, i personally feel like i'm stealing my competitors recipe right before a baking contest.

maybe a couple months after pmw releases his project would i consider doing a beach/ocean front based cbp
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Those are all valid points, let me address them in order.

1) I think this CBP should be built differently. If we all work on beach sections, then combine them at the end with (mountain or cliff) tunnels or bridges or underwater sections, we can all work on the map whenever we feel like it at our own pace. Sure this method has its own problems, mainly the joining, and making sure everyone builds something different, but I'll do the joining work myself, and I guess each mapper will have to call/negotiate "dibs" on a certain idea or set of ideas.

2) Two new people I'm thinking about sending a PM to are Undertaker and Paul B, they've both drastically improved over the past year or two and are great mappers. I'll send out some PMs to a few others I guess (any ideas?)

3) Technically it's more inspired by Duke Carribean; Life's a Beach. I actually got the idea for the beach CBP more from Captain Awesome's pictures than PMW, who's "beach" looked more like a river or lake coast compared to the ocean which we're going for. It's not like this CBP will be released for a while anyway.
Wall whore.

Puritan

You should invite Henri K (Razor Z) to this cbp as well  :)
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

quakis

I have someone in mind who might be interested, I'll see how that goes before mentioning who for now. :P

Quote from: Puritan on  30 January 2013, 13:46:40A shame that you doesn't want to finish it...

It's not that I don't want to finish it. I simply don't have much inspiration for this particular map right now and afraid it'll probably rot away on my HDD. This seemed a good opportunity to make use of it somewhere.

Micky C

Quote from: Puritan on  31 January 2013, 08:14:27
You should invite Henri K (Razor Z) to this cbp as well  :)

Ok I'll send him a PM.

Out of curiosity, Mikko did a lot of CBPs back in the day, but didn't show much interest in the last one and hasn't popped his head out for this one. Is he mostly retired from mapping or something?

Edit: I'm wondering whether I should invite Drek, he hasn't released any maps (unless you count the Knee Deep conversion, which was mostly cleaning/texturing/shading/gameplay rather than construction), however he's been doing a tonne of practice maps for WGRealms 2 and they show a lot of promise, especially the terrain/environment, which will work well in our outdoor/beach theme. Norvak if you're reading this what do you think?

2nd Edit: So does anyone have any strong feelings about whether we should have the story continue on from CBP 8 how Duke's escape pod lands in a beach area infested with aliens? There'll be no real connection except for starting off in the crashed pod, and random bits of fallen space station scrap, but I think it's nice to have some continuity.
Wall whore.

MSandt

Quote from: Micky C on  31 January 2013, 09:36:59
Out of curiosity, Mikko did a lot of CBPs back in the day, but didn't show much interest in the last one and hasn't popped his head out for this one. Is he mostly retired from mapping or something?

I'm working on a mod so that makes me tied up.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

So far I've sent PMs to Henri K, Undertaker, Drek, Paul B, and most recently Supertanker (last online 17th december, so hopefully he still pops in every now and then). I think I'll leave it at that for the moment. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd like to mess around with a bigger wall limit this time, especially with terrain.

As of this posting, Undertaker has replied and he's agreed to join  8) so we're up to 5.

Micky C
Captain Awesome
Quakis
High Treason
Undertaker

You can get very realistic dunes if you know what you're doing. Unfortunately it's difficult to add variety.
Wall whore.