Organization matters

Started by underTaker, 01 February 2013, 19:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Drek

Quote@Drek, as much as I'd love to use some Caribbean sprites and textures, if we start adding any of this stuff it's then starting to turn into a mini mod. The deal with the CBP is that it's a bit of a challenge; you need to build a good section within the limitations. In the past, this was either time or wall based, but with the increased wall limit this isn't much of a problem. However there's still the challenge of creating a beach feel without any specific beach textures, but often a challenge such as this can lead to some pretty inventive stuff 

I'm new to the rules :) I like them.

I also started work on my section, nothing crazy about an hours worth, mostly just toying with some ideas. I'd like to do a waterfall, where Duke needs to climb up from the beach to cross the fast moving water. I would like to request that my section comes before the player finds a jetpack.

underTaker

Ah, right - jetpack. In my opinion adding jetpack on a map is generally a bad idea. What do we do about it?

Supertanker

I've never used the smart tagging system (no, really...). I'm assuming I'll need to update Mapster soon. :P

I have no particular preference of order, so I can go whenever!

underTaker

There are some cool features added to mapster so it's good idea to update it asap ^^ In fact i've used only smart tagging, but well... it's something ^^

High Treason

I personally never use it, though I know how to (just type a word instead of a number). I don't have an issue with using it either and it seems like a good idea. As for jetpack, I certainly won't be adding one in my section.

One good thing to come out of this CBP already (for me) is that I have refined my elevator mechanism... Now I just have to hope I can construct it again for the CBP.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Quote from: Drek on  02 February 2013, 15:37:05
I also started work on my section, nothing crazy about an hours worth, mostly just toying with some ideas. I'd like to do a waterfall, where Duke needs to climb up from the beach to cross the fast moving water. I would like to request that my section comes before the player finds a jetpack.

I know I'm being a bit hypocritical here but try not to get too far ahead, I know it's exciting getting this done  ;D but now we've got 4 WIP sections and so far no way to connect them  :P

Quote from: Supertanker on  02 February 2013, 19:34:12
I've never used the smart tagging system (no, really...). I'm assuming I'll need to update Mapster soon. :P

I have no particular preference of order, so I can go whenever!

Probably not, the feature has been in mapster for years. One of the cooler recent features of mapster32 is the ability to rotate or expand sets of sprites or sectors by selecting them with shift, then holding left shift, hold down the left or right mouse button on a vertex or sprite, then drag it around. Play around with it a bit.

Oh and I just remembered, if you don't include the .maptag file, then you actually can use the same names as another mapper and it will still create a new tag (because it's technically a new word without the storage file). However we might as well use the same file anyway as it's an easy way of keeping track of used tags.

So far the order I'm thinking is:
Quakis
Micky C
High Treason
Undertaker?
Drek?
Captain Awesome?
Supertanker?

Then again I'm not sure if the player should start off in Quakis' section. It would be better if he started off in a nearby beach and then moved into Quakis' section IMO. I'm thinking something like the start of the first level of Carribean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHd-uDNuOpo
Wall whore.

Drek

@Micky
No worries man, like I said I'm just toying with Ideas, getting used to the basic tileset again and vanilla limitations.

@High Treason
Let me get this correct, you are saying that your "elevator mechanism" will be running in the map. And also that we can tap into it and run it's tags. Are you referring to that clock I saw you made. I'm definitely interested.

To everyone:
If we are doing two maps, why not work on both simultaneously?

IMHO I suggest we set a proper order from the beginning, like these guys work on map 1 then the other half map 2, we agree to meet at this or that spot to set a proper linking section.

Micky C

That is a brilliant idea!

Actually ignore the quote for a second, High Treason mentioned some kind of train. I want to hear more about that before we split up the mappers sections.

QuoteIn that case, me Quakis and High Treason should work on the first map. We'll add a little starting area before the player enters Quakis' section. And we'll adapt the end of this map to whatever the second map starts off as.

Undertaker, Drek, Captain Awesome and Supertanker can work on the second map in that order. Let's make the end a bit like CBP 8 and the player rides out to see in a small boat (using two-way train bounding sector with one sided blocking walls, then activated teleporter to transport player to an end level sector after a certain time).

So get started Undertaker! Well, either you or Drek, you guys decide.
Wall whore.

High Treason

@MickyC; It's not a given that I'll use that, it just seems like the most feasible way to do it. The train is an extension of my elevator design in that it doesn't go anywhere, the magic happens on the platform, and as there's only one "floor" and no way back - unless there is a reason I should make it go back. Overall though, it's a lot more simplistic.

I was going to put a hole in the ground wherever I connected that had a small EDF train in it, the player throws a switch and the door closes before lights shoot past the window rapidly, they stop after a few seconds and the door opens, upon leaving the train, the player is teleported to a copy of the platform which leads up to my section. I haven't actually tested such a thing yet, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. I don't use locators for any of these so they are free for whatever.

The mention of the boat is weird, because I was tempted to try making one to exit my area.

@Drek; The elevator will be there, only four floors this time. It could probably be used by someone else but maybe they would need to invent a means of resetting it to whichever state they wanted their thing to be in (though my elevator would be almost guaranteed to be left on a certain floor as it'll be the only way through my hotel) - what I was referring to using were the timers that trigger my wave effect, there are sixteen tags used by that one that are triggered in sequence around every 0.13 seconds by my math, though I'd like anybody using it to check my waves periodically as the whole thing can jam if an activator is triggered by some other means (such as slow sectors that use the second row of activators, which are used to make the waves fall again).

I'm actually going to hook the thing up to a spawner, because it won't spawn anything, just flash repeatedly which is useful for some flashing lights I want.

@Nobody in particular - general ramblings; The elevator was tricky, because the mechanism I was using took up almost 600 walls and over 100 tags, the toughest thing was the duplicate mechanism that remembered which floor the player was at so it could re-enable the teleporter if sent to the same floor twice. In the end, I reduced it to a single button opeartion where it just moves to the next floor up and when there are no higher floors, returns to floor 1. It is more reliable this way but I'm glad it isn't running sixteen floors like one I built as an experiment, that would be tedious.

Oh, and prepare for the most evil combination puzzle ever, I'll be using multiswitches, mostly because I daren't try to install my new keypad mechanism as it would eat most of my walls.

Drek

QuoteSo get started Undertaker! Well, either you or Drek, you guys decide.

I've got something on the go now I'm quite happy with. I'd be happy to go first, but I'm not picky. Undertaker, I'll leave it up to you. Would you like to start our half? Supertanker? CA? Speak up if you want to jump in before Micky's schedule says. I'll keep truckin' with what I have. I'll even post it within an hour or two, just for show.

Captain Awesome

I'm not picky on when I get thrown in as far as order, I just don't want to be last. ;)

underTaker

I can adjust myself to you guys, if someone wants to be before me - it's up to you. I got some neat ideas that came to my head yesterday :)

By the way - what's wrong with google today? It's running terribly slow for me.

Drek

I'm still mapping my little waterfall. I will gladly go first unless someone stops me. I'm new and eager and inspired. The ball's rolling here already, I can pass this off in a few weeks for sure.

My section begins on the beach, but is going to go both underground and up into mountainous grassy areas. If we go with it, we can tie into map one via that boat I keep hearing about, either it lands at my beach and we start map two from there, or someone else's beach is landed upon and progresses to this waterfall. I'm very open and carefree with this, you guys can definitely adjust my work afterwards to fit in to the whole theme if needed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

underTaker

Looking nice.

I was thinking of creating some kind of beach joint with some kind of hotel terraces joint with underground section, but that was just pre-idea of idea seed, so it may vary really much ;)

High Treason

Stuff is lookin' good.

As for me, I've got my train working (until I inevetably have to go changing tags and moving everything at least) and everything else is going well, I even got an effect to work where the water covers over the sand a little, though that will only be visible if the player looks out of a window at a certain angle - which is why it's there, the square edges annoyed me. On the down side, I have four floors of hotel to make and I've already used 1936 walls, but I'll probably leave it alone for a while given it isn't my turn to do anything anyway and I'm running a risk of being kicked out for cheating ;D .

If any of you want me to upload what I've done so far, let me know and I'll attach it.

It just occured that my earlier remark about others cheating might have come off as serious, though I don't think anyone interpreted it that way it's bugging me so I'm making a note that it wasn't meant that way, it was just idiotic banter.