Organization matters

Started by underTaker, 01 February 2013, 19:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Hold on, just to clarify we should map this with the original game assets as that allows us greater variety to choose from.

So Drek if you're mapping with the HRP, could you switch over to the 8-bit art to be consistent with everyone else?
Wall whore.

Drek

I'm trying to be compatible with both software and the hrp. Keeping classic as the priority. I assume no matter what we say people will use the hrp, so I'm trying to make sure my part looks decent in all render modes. Ps, I'm not using any TROR.

Micky C

I've been thinking, I want my section to be very action-oriented with a lot of enemies, and a small variety of weapons (shotgun, chaingun, and shrinker for a shrink puzzle), and since my section is long and thin and I haven't added anything to either end yet, it's perfect for connecting two segments together. Therefore I think my section would probably be better suited to 2nd place.

Undertaker, once I've finished the main bit of my section, how would you feel about taking one end and creating the actual "start" of the map? This will mean your section is the one everyone plays first.
Wall whore.

underTaker

Sure, but i will have to play the previous CBP first, since i haven't got occasion for doing that yet. I assume we want i to be like a continuation, as someone previously said, so the enterance should match previous one's exit, right?

Micky C

Yeah that's what I originally said. However I've been too lazy to do anything along those lines in my section. And on second thought if we do try some continuity, people are going to be comparing this map directly with the previous one, which probably isn't a good thing. CBP 8 was huge, epic, highly acclaimed and innovative, I doubt that this CBP would hold up to that kind of expectation no matter how hard we try, so best just to keep it as a stand alone thing and make it good in its own way.

I mean we can still optionally have the player start off in the capsule on the beach as a sort of easter egg, but this won't be an official continuation (although I can already think of a nice way to make it seem like the pod is crash landing on the beach).

Edit: Were you the one who wanted the jetpack in your section? Or was it to not have the jetpack before your section?
Wall whore.

underTaker

i understand.

I said jetpack wouldn't be good idea, and i didn't want to put it at all, but if someone would put it, i wouldn't complain.

Drek

That was me against the jetpack. My section starts off with a jump requiring roids to get across the waterfall. Jetpack will break it. Actually due to the intricate roof sloping in my outdoor section the jetpack will just kill gameplay for me.

But now I have questions.
1) If my part is the start of map 2 will the player have weapons any items from map 1? That is to say are we including con files to make an episode?
2) Is my part the start of map 2?
3) Who's going next in map 2?

Micky C

Your part is the start of map 2.
There will be no con files. So the player will have no weapons or items when he enters your section.
Since High Treason has already started his section, we could try putting his after yours, however if there's no good fit, we might get Captain Awesome to try to make a transition section between the two.
Wall whore.

Drek

Ok, sounds good to me. I'll post my wip section by the end of the weekend here, 24hrs. I'm currently at 1650 walls.

@ High Treason or whoever is next, if you'd like to agree early on a joining point I'd think it's a good thing. At the moment I have a few indoor structures that are very early wip, they could be great joining sectors. I'm going for a non-linear layout, and utilizing respawns and keycards to somewhat force linear gameplay. Meaning almost any part of my map is 'open' for the transition to the next mapper. It will start on the beach, maybe in a boat/train sector.

High Treason

@Drek; It's up to you really, I invented the train thing to avoid continuity problems so wherever you think I can join on is fine, I would just have to put a hole in the ground and redesign my starting station to fit your texture set (currently it's just an exact copy of the end station).

@Micky C; You didn't like my elevators much from what I remember, so I changed the design of them, teleportation now happens inside the elevator which should not only look better, it should also give me flexibility over what is outside it. One thing did occur to me though, currently they would be broken in multiplayer, is this map intended to be multiplayer compatible? Because I can make it work with multiplayer if I have to, I just want to know wether I should or not before I invest time into it.

Damn, I'll never want to see another SE31 after this.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Well from what we're hearing multiplayer is almost finished. It might be worth making the map coop compatible. We'll see how easy it is to pull that off after the map's been put together. It might require too much work.
Wall whore.

underTaker

Do we want to put there some security cameras to take a look on other map sections? That could add some nice effects. And also do we want to put backtracking between other players' sections? That could add some gameplay as well.

Micky C

We could do that. My area might be possible as a type of mini hub, it's definitely got some unused spaces on the edge of the map. Quakis' section could also be another possibility. We'll see how it goes.

CBP 8, being a city map, lent itself much more naturally for a main hub section, especially that the first section by Norvak was specifically designed to be a hub. However with beaches, the norm tends to be long stretches of beach not unlike what I did, and long thin sections works better with linear gameplay.
Wall whore.

underTaker

I think it would be nice to put some access cards or switches which do something in different mappers' sections - it would make it more like one map, not just fragments glued together. If you will like the idea i can create some places in my section for use by others :)

Micky C

Yeah that's a good idea.

Here's a thought: What if there's a locked teleporter room or something in your section, then eventually you have to fight you way through the sections to Quakis' or somebody's section where you unlock it, then you have go to all the way back through my section maybe fighting a battlelord or two (would be cool in that open area) and finally teleport to the end of the map. Or maybe the boat you need to use to get to Drek's section is in your section all along but you just can't get to it.

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?
Wall whore.