Organization matters

Started by underTaker, 01 February 2013, 19:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

underTaker

Yeah, that's kind of it. I'm just not really sure what do you mean by teleporter - just an obvious one, or some kind of passage, like stairs with teleporter used? Generally i really like the idea.

Micky C

The teleporter can be anything, I was just making an example.

If we incorporate backtracking like that into map 1, that gives the map depth, however if we don't add equivalent depth to map 2 (without resorting the same case of having the player running backwards through the map) then the gameplay in map 2 will feel lacking, so we need to plan map 2 better so that the depth of gameplay feels consistent.
Wall whore.

underTaker

I see, i see.

I agree. I think it won't be hard to think of some original gameplay ideas in second map as well :)
Also if we're making two maps, we could add some easter eggs like associations with previous one. Like some characteristical elements from map 1 would appear in map 2.

High Treason

Funny you should say that, I was going to have a hidden viewscreen that displayed metacritic scores of "Avatar - Starring Duke Nukem" which were overwhelmingly negative :P
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Lol you should blame it on my bad directing  :P
Wall whore.

underTaker

*Breaking news*
Micky C gave up his director job when metacritics for Avatar were published

:D

Puritan

Seems that we're in for a CBP episode this time.
That's awesome  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Well it's only 3 maps and the player starts without weapons each time. Even if we do make it an episode for user convenience, we'll still force the player to start weapon-less to make things easier.

It's not something like Imperium or Metropolitan Mayhem which were real CBP episodes.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Doesn't it make more sense if the 3 maps were made to play in in a row without lost of weapons? Is that hard to make them work like that?

Micky C

It is a bit easier if we don't have to plan the gameplay consecutively through all three maps. I also had another reason but I can't remember it at the moment..
Wall whore.

underTaker

First of all, i'd wait and take a look if someone's part requires something like one hidden pipe bomb which is the key to blow some wall or something. If there won't be any things like that, i'd suggest to let the player proceed without loss of the weapons. I'm sure mappers will be able to modify their enemy placement to suit the weaponery player already has.

Drek

I don't want the player having the jetpack in my section. Explosives, or more gunpower won't bother my part of map2.

Micky C

We'll see how it goes once we've finished it. Let's focus on the actual geometric map sections in the mean time. 

UnderTaker, if we do make this into an episode, we're going to have to SERIOUSLY nerf the difficulty and in some instances the enemy variety in your section.
It's almost like a full map in itself rather than the start of something.
Wall whore.

Micky C

So is everyone ok with with me posting this on steam workshop for megaton when it's released? Should be compatible.
Wall whore.

underTaker

I'm totally okay with that.

If my maps are compatible, this one will too.