Map Progression

Started by Micky C, 02 February 2013, 08:01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

This thread is for dealing with actual mapping progress; talking about the current state of the map, and talking about future gameplay/layout/connectivity. Also who's turn it is for mapping etc..

Now I can't see any option to attach files in the "attachments and other options" expansion which is strange, so I'll post my WIP section here with mediafire. I'm quite excited about, I have some great gameplay in mind for this section, especially with the jetty (for example if I wanted to I could make the whole thing explode in a sequence which would be a great set piece).
http://www.mediafire.com/?joyjgym99lkzf5r

Quakis can you also upload what you've done so I can have a look at it and see how we should proceed?
Wall whore.

Supertanker

@Micky, looks quite promising! I like the way you did the dunes.

I don't have an attachment option either, although that may be me running NoScript...

Forge

try attachments now. i adjusted permissions.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  02 February 2013, 08:01:39Quakis can you also upload what you've done so I can have a look at it and see how we should proceed?

Feel like an ass saying this, but I'll need a couple of days to think over the map segment, might have been too hasty of a decision at first. Having not touched the map in a while sure does throw new ideas into the mind as to how it could be finished as it was originally concepted than force it to work elsewhere. However I might be able to throw those ideas into another map where they could also fit. Or simply merge the two maps. Conflicted with the decision right now, mainly because I feel like a complete ass after only recently offering the segment. :-\

The project appears to have made a good start already though.

Micky C

Could you perhaps make a new section from scratch for the CBP? At least it would allow for more focus on the beach.

In any case I guess my segment might as well go first, so I'll keep working on it over the next week. I'll definitely be finished within 2 weeks barring any unforeseen disasters.

Here's the latest iteration. Did someone say... explodable beach bunkers?  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wall whore.

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  03 February 2013, 02:33:12Could you perhaps make a new section from scratch for the CBP?

Perhaps. I'll give it some thought since I struggled to get started in the previous CBP and I do have a couple of non-mapping projects I'd like to get on with. Though it might be a nice change to sit out this time and play the level on release to see what all these new faces in a CBP will put together. I'm also hoping someone I've been talking with will register soon and jump onboard the CBP.

Let me give it more thought, it's pretty early stages afterall.

Drek

As I said in the other thread. Here's what I've roughed out, just some landscape sector work so far.

Micky C

@Quakis, well if you do leave hopefully that other guy or someone else will come in and fill your place.

@Drek, that's definitely more WGish than your typical map. Might I suggest darkening it and giving floors, walls and ceilings a pal 26 to give it a "misty cove" feeling. That will definitely give the CBP some variety over the potential non-stop sunny beaches.

Wall whore.

Micky C

So High Treason it looks like you're going second for map1 after me, and I'd like to be able to connect our sections via train. Either that method you talked about (although I'm still not sure what it actually does), or a long two-way train which eventually rides up against another train with troopers before reaching the destination.
Wall whore.

High Treason

Ah, right, that's OK.

As for the train, you can take a look at what it does if you want - I've attached what I've got so far. It may be possible to add some kind of intercepting train mid-journey, maybe have the front of the train blow up and the player have to leave it and fight aliens to board another one.

[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

The mid train fight would only have been needed to allow the train ride to be longer without it being boring. With your train method we can imply a longer period of time has passed. Although I'm still fairly split between the two methods (mid-train fights are rare in duke). I'll keep working on the rest of my section and decide later.
Wall whore.

High Treason

It just occured to me that it may be possible to have the whole thing take place from on-board the train, without it apparently stopping... It's 4AM so I won't be trying it this side of going to sleep, but I'm at least going to attempt to make the idea in my head work in the game, even if it is never used.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Wouldn't it just be a matter of putting some timed respawns on the train?

Btw I went inside your hotel and there's some kind of teleporting effect as you leave the lift which is kind of obvious. Not sure if you can fix that or not, but surely there are less hacky ways of achieving multiple floors. I'd rather have a solid, stable release than have a few new gimmicks which can glitch. For all the players who aren't mappers, they don't care how they move around; they're most likely not going to notice a new special effect especially something subtle or which has been done in a similar manner before.

I'm not saying your effects aren't impressive or practical, but for a CBP there's probably better things to spend time, effort, and walls on that make a noticeable impression on the player.
Wall whore.

Drek

Progress Report: 900 walls and some temporary gameplay. I assume the player will arrive at our second map pretty fully armed, I threw about every weapon on the beach for now.

Micky C

I'm on my phone so I can't look at it right now. How finished would you say that area in the picture is? It could use some work but if its WIP that's fine. I guess you're trying to show off the tree.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm here for help or advice if you need it. Same goes for everyone else, and likewise I'll probably need someone's help for something later on.

I think it's better that we release it as 2 seperate maps. I don't want to include too many extra files such as the con necessary to make it an episode. And if they're seperate then we have greater control over the weapons. For example you can do the thing where you need to find the explosives to blow up a crack in both maps instead of just one.

So unless there's any real opposition to this, you can treat your section like the start of a map.
Wall whore.