Map Progression

Started by Micky C, 02 February 2013, 08:01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

After some thought, I've decided I'll use the map segment for the CBP afterall. I'll save some of the ideas I had for another map of mine where they will also fit.

I have a request though. Could the first level have bright lighting and a blue sky much like the way it was done in the screenshots I posted? It'd be useful to keep my lighting and shadows intact without requiring any major changes here. Time and weather could easily change after the train journey and for the second level if required.

I'll upload the map piece later after making a few minor adjustments to remove what is no longer needed, but I don't plan to do any major work just yet since I've got inspiration for another project right now and want to keep at that while I can.

Micky C

Maybe we'll put your section last on the first map then. That section has a good ocean to have a boat in that will lead to Drek's cove. That will also give you plenty of time (there's no rush anyway since the other map is being worked on already). I like the idea of the first map being set at day then the second map being set at night, although it would mean reshuffling the mappers. Drek's and High Treason's sections would probably go well together.

So it's up to Undertaker and Supertanker to decide whether they want to place their beaches at night or day and then place their sections into the appropriate map?

Btw are you sure the yellow sky with the ocean won't suit your section as well? That blue sky never sat right with me how it's all the same colour. I could try changing my sky if it was absolutely necessary though.

Wall whore.

quakis

I'll give it a try but I was originally aiming at a late-morning & high sun with the lighting, while that one seems more sunset-ish with long shadows.

If Duke takes a boat toward Drek's cove, then I'll probably add a pier or some kind of harbour in the area.

High Treason

As for me, I'd rather have my section in the night time map. I can change it over if I have to, but I don't feel it works with a day sky because I always rely on the sky to give the impression that the sea is larger.

As for my gimmicky elevator, I've never been able to make those teleporters run smoothly, I have no idea how other's achieve it. It is less noticeable once the corridor is connected though and I really don't want to have to remove the effect - gimmicks is what I'm about, I know I can't make things look good so I always try to use new effects to make up for it.

Attached is what things look like with the day sky, taken from the fourth floor of the hotel. My building speed might slow down for a while now though because I seem to have the flu at the moment and my head is spinning enough already without sitting in the editor for hours.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

underTaker

I can adjust mine to you, guys.

Micky C

It begins  :o

Wall whore.

Micky C

Well this is about as much as I'm able to do. I'm in the last two weeks of my intense, insanely fast moving summer school course and it's one big push until the finish (after which regular uni starts but hopefully at a slower pace and with a slow start).

It's about 85% done, plus or minus some polish, and I've used 3624 walls, no doubt I'd need the other 400 for polishing. The deal with my section is that you need to get inside the building in the water and the Duke Burger to summon the two-way train in the top right corner leading to Quakis' section. I also don't want to finalize gameplay or anything in case we need to change it later.

So Undertaker, if you're up for it, your section could end in the empty building in the west, and you can change it around a bit if you want.

Wall whore.

underTaker

Good to see, time to wake my mapster up from a long sleep ;)

Helixirr

Please notify me when you're ready, underTaker!
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

underTaker

Drek

1900 walls. I stole a submarine :) Unless someone really wants to make a boat to finish map 1 I say we just 'borrow' this old girl.

quakis

Since my section seems to be ending with a boat, I'll definitely be whipping up a nice boat design. :P

underTaker

I have finally found some time to sit with it, and next couple days seem to be free for me too, so i will work over the map now. I've collected some cool ideas through that idle time as well.

I see you, Micky, didn't send any maptags with the map, should i use some tag range? Or there is maptags file, and you just forget it?

Micky C

Before I was officially working on my section I was messing around and put some tags in the old fashioned way, then I never really bothered naming the tags.

It doesn't matter though, I worked in the range 1-101. So if you start using smart tagging, the first tag that's automatically generated is 102, then 103 etc regardless of whether or not there's a prior maptag file. It's a pretty smart system.
Wall whore.

High Treason

In case anybody wondered, I've attached where I am currently up to. I only have 706 walls left and I'm likely going to use every single one.

I'm probably going to move on to doing the third floor layout shortly, then leave everything else until after connection and then wait for polishing to finalize it.

[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]