Map Progression

Started by Micky C, 02 February 2013, 08:01:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  16 January 2014, 01:44:23
I thought it would be a great idea for a bigger CBP without limits
some people think limits are restrictions. apparently most think they're goals.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Maarten

Quote from: Micky C on  16 January 2014, 01:44:23
I won't hold it against you if after the episode is released, you release a seperate stand alone version of the map. Everything about this CBP has been a complete mess; I thought it would be a great idea for a bigger CBP without limits, but it seems now that limits are a good thing because otherwise half the team will vanish leaving unfinished sections  :-\

quakis are you still working on your section?

Well... we could go for 2 options: release all maps as stand alone single player,  since we all have a different style anyway.. and these maps could do it on their own I guess. Or release this this as an episode with some new music and maybe some other FX's or something...
Boo!

Micky C

Hmm, I find myself considering the second option since like you say all the maps are quite inconsistent. Let's see how your map turns out first though.

There's still the problem of polish. My own section still isn't 100% finished, and I'm willing to polish that, but the idea of finishing up an entire episode by myself really doesn't appeal to me.
I'm kinda tempted to start up a thread asking for people to help out, or otherwise release the materials and see what people do with it. It certainly didn't turn out how I pictured (i.e more direct beachfront stuff).
Wall whore.

quakis

Sorry, I haven't touched Mapster in several months. Lack any motivation for mapping. Probably best to resume without me.

Micky C

Thankyou for being honest.

I think I might make up a thread about what to do, with the first two maps anyway. I imagine Maarten's perfectly capable of finishing and releasing his map himself.
Myself I have plenty of motivation for mapping... for the AMC TC  :P lots of progress has been made in that over the last 2 months and I need to take advantage of that momentum, leaving little time or inspiration for this unfortunately.
Wall whore.

Micky C

So Maarten I take it you want to release your "boss map" separately as a stand alone map? I suppose if you really want we can release this as a 2 map CBP but since you're the only one who worked on your map there's probably not much point.

Currently the CBP map ends with a battle with the the Battlelord on top of Norvak's dam, with a view of the entire map, which is pretty sweet.
Wall whore.

Drek

Quote from: Maarten on  15 January 2014, 14:53:35
Playing the map. Got stuck after the mini-boss fight, am I supossed to get the yellow keycard for the door? Didn't find it..and I don't see another way to continue.. it's probably me, though :P
Yellow keycard is the room with all the green lights just before mini-boss fight. Gotta blow up the joint first, maybe that was a bad idea, making it a spawn.

Fun map, fun gameplay, nice connections too. I like the design ideas too. I agree with Micky though, some things could be better, which shouldn't take too much time.
Yeah, we all agree there...

Oh.. and I hope you do realise the steriods item could ruin the gameplay? I found at least 2 shortcuts when using steriods... I even thought I needed to use it (see attachment).
Yes, that shortcut was intentional, initially it was the only way up, now the player has choices. If you take the shortcut you'll just have more baddies to deal with up top later :) If you go the long way you can thin the numbers before the mini boss fight.

Where else did the steroids let you skip ahead?

Also, I like the fog effect... but some sectors doesn't have it which looks a bit...strange. At least, on my laptop here..
Overall, fun map :)
Thanks man!!

Micky, I really lost my motivation to keep at it, and well, others could do it better... that said I can still help finish this up.

Maarten

Quote from: Micky C on  20 January 2014, 14:41:16
So Maarten I take it you want to release your "boss map" separately as a stand alone map? I suppose if you really want we can release this as a 2 map CBP but since you're the only one who worked on your map there's probably not much point.

Well.. I think it's good to release all maps as stand alone, I'm sure they're worth enough. I don't think the maps really fit for a episode... one thing is for sure: my map is ALOT darker and more strange. Also, the gameplay will be mostly mini-bosses (think about playing the DM map Faces of Death in Single Player).
However, I'm about to add a some more to my map so it will feel more complete, right now it takes about 10 minutes I guess.

If we make it 'official' I'm ready to release some screens to the community showing I'm mapping again ;D
Boo!

Micky C

Ok Maarten I officially cut you off from the CBP  :P you can release screenshots and do what you want with your map  :)

Thanks for the offer Drek, but I was basically working on it all day yesterday and the map is virtually finished, mostly just needing polish and gameplay balancing at this point.

Btw since I stole Supertanker's section from your map, maybe you might consider reworking and releasing your section as as an independant map as well? Like everyone's said it's a fun map, and a little bit different from everything else out there. Even though it could be better, the main thing is that it's consistent, which it is. The small problems it has aren't as important now that they won't be proceeded and followed by quakis' and Supertanker's super-polished sections.
Otherwise you can look at it as a learning experience and maybe make a backup for sentimental reasons.
Wall whore.

Drek

LMAO just read that other thread where u asked for help.

Ok leave my part out. I'll do whatever I want with it later...

Micky C

Try not to take it personally, it made sense to try and push out one really good map big map instead of 2 small maps with filler, and when there was only room for one more section in map 1, Supertanker's was the obvious choice for consistency and state of completeness.

Well here's what I've done with it. When I played through it (maybe cheating a bit in Supertanker's part because I still have no idea how to finish it...) it was half an hour long, with over 300 enemies, so it's a fairly epic sized map. Plus it's even got its own original soundtrack which I almost forgot about, which is cool.

To do:
General polish; shading/details/texture alignments/ambient sounds
Gameplay balancing
Broken effects: For some reason a timed earthquake effect at the end when the boss spawns isn't working, and I built a ship to sail around with the subway effect and that isn't moving...
Betatesting to make sure progression is smooth and logical; I think my section might be confusing and probably needs some extra cameras and viewscreens, as with Supertanker's section.
It might be possible that I broke something in Supertanker's section because I had to flip it upside down and side to side. I reflipped a few SEs and things but I could have missed something.

https://www.mediafire.com/?3loxlkl9e33ukrm

I'll have Undertaker take a crack at it now. Still a bit over 1000 walls of breathing room.
Wall whore.