Speakers' Corner

Started by Puritan, 05 December 2011, 09:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Step up on the box and tell about what's on your chest!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Where is the winter? Where is the snow?

We're in December already and yesterday my neighbour was out with his lawn mover  :o .
Usually at this time of year, skiing is a more common activity.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Localized Global Warming. I knew you Scandinavians were up to no good. You're like the Canada of Europe. (It's a conspiracy)  ;D
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

I'm relieved!
It hasn't been a single registration attempt from bots on this forum.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Using that code to confirm registration foils them (until some asshole develops the software to generate it via bot)

Puritan

I don't think such software will available for a long time.
I've added a question that new members has to answer before they can register.
In the admin panel I can easily add up to five questions.
Or I could make the question harder to answer  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  11 December 2011, 03:21:09
...I´m not playing Duke honestly since Eduke32 keeps introducing bugs and "features" that make the life of classic players harder everyday, but when I read my name in your txt, i felt touched :o

Everything is polymer geared now, trying to get the tror to work, and make everything all sparkly and pretty. That's fine, but I almost have to have two Duke3d directories; one for the new stuff and one with an older snapshot in it so I can play the classics (which the developers keep breaking features in and then writing them off with a shrug as collateral damage).
Polymost has been prematurely abandoned in an effort to push everything to polymer, which is still buggy & lags.
8-bit has been completely abandoned and can be hit or miss when playing a classic. Sometimes you get a few visual errors that can be irritating but ignored. Worse, some maps end up almost completely black (like wearing sunglasses in a cave with a burlap sack on your head) and impossible to play (and for some reason only known to the developers, none of the gamma/brightness/contrast corrections affect 8-bit anymore).

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  11 December 2011, 15:52:28
The software engine is broken by some fix that helps modelers to get proper scales. So yes AAAAALLLL the maps made for softare/8bits/polymost have visual errors now because 2 new modellers can´t workaround a simple scale problem. That was the last nail in Duke´s coffin for me, sorry.

What's more annoying is when you mention this to the developers at Duke4, they either get all irrate and berate you for mentioning it, or just completely ignore you because their fix is infinitely more important than having software mode work properly. (unless your in the click of a few certain individuals whose shit don't stink and they get what they want)

I think fixing multiplayer is by far more important than getting their polymer renderer working at the cost of the rest of the visual modes. Multiplayer will attract more players who will stay around for some time, polymer will just get some DNF fanboys on board because of the shiny stuff until they find something else pretty to distract them

Puritan

I was thinking of opening a new thread today: "What is the worst map you've played"...

But I gave it a second thought and found the idea to be absolutely stupid!  :P
Talk about flame bait...
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Could lead to fun discussions though.  :P I'd give the honors to Sangs supa2.  ;D

Forge

from all that crap that was released in '96 thru '98 when everyone and their little sister thought they could make a Duke map? It would be a pretty large thread

Micky C

For a moment I thought what if there could be a limit like only maps from the past 5 years, then I realized that if any of the mappers who were talked about in that thread saw it, it would only serve to put them down.
Wall whore.

Puritan

^You are mentioning something important there, man.
But on the other hand; Is it fair to talk shit behind peoples back? Even if it's a 10 year old map?

I agree about it could have been an interesting thread, though.
If somebody opens up such a thread I might look the other way.. ::)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Chances are if it's 10 years old, the author wouldn't care, and would most likely know that their maps weren't very good, especially when looking back at them now. So if it was really old maps then it wouldn't be a huge problem imo. However I opened up a thread on this topic, but with a variation to make it less potentially offensive. We'll see how it goes.. http://www.scent-88.com/forum/index.php/topic,62.msg414.html#new
Wall whore.

Forge

Merry Christmas every one. Have a safe and enjoyable holiday  :)