Speakers' Corner

Started by Puritan, 05 December 2011, 09:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

YaY!

doctored images and conspiracy theory/ufo nuts coming out of the woodwork quick on this comet:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/philae-comet-lander-alien-%E2%80%98cover-up%E2%80%99-conspiracy-theories-emerge/ar-BBdy1vH?ocid=mailsignout

somebody's read Rendezvous with Rama a few too many times
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

This is a cover up!!

(Awaiting the Huffington Post comments on this matter....)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

mysterious radio signals, multi-government conspiracies, etc., etc.

funny how none of this 'leaked' during those twelve years until after there were photos available to be doctored

why would we spend billions to land on a comet? Study the origins of the solar system, origins of organic material, origins of where our liquid water came from, and just to show we can as part of a global shield project to keep big rocks from smacking our planet.

We're too fucking far out in the middle of nowhere in relation to the rest of our galaxy.
Our radio waves may be 110 light years out, but due to degradation it's swallowed by the background radiation. It'd be like trying to detect a ripple in the pacific ocean caused by a pebble being dropped in the middle of it.

If you want to use the loose factors that it takes a rocky planet (resources) with the potential for liquid water in order to support life that may evolve to be intelligent enough for space flight; the closest is 16 light years away. Our seti program would have picked up their transmission traffic - nothing there though.
Same for the next planet that fits the criteria at about 21 light years away. After that the next one is 493 light years away - too far even for near-light speed travel.

Another issue is the fact that most world governments are able to keep things so secret and hush-hush. Why would aliens play by their rules? The advanced civilization would make the rules of contact.

Also, if these aliens have such advanced technology, they don't need to 'buzz' toothless redneck trailer-trash for observational purposes.

And given all the uninhabited chunks of rock in this solar system- all the way up to planet sized ones- they could set up a 'base' in a better location than some burned out old comet.

I don't doubt there's other life out there in the universe, and some of it is probably intelligent. I just don't believe in all this hokey bullshit people make up about government conspiracies and other crap like the aliens came to earth and showed people how to build stonehenge or whatever.

Puritan

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they say......but still they come!
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

since i don't wear a tinfoil hat or special sunglasses  8), I guess I can't see "them" 

Puritan

Quote from: Puritan on  14 November 2014, 17:26:05
The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they say......but still they come!

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said."The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"

JOURNALIST: Then came the night the first missile approached Earth. It was thought to be an ordinary falling star, but next day there was a huge crater in the middle of the Common, and Ogilvy came to examine what lay there: a cylinder, thirty yards across,glowing hot... and with faint sounds of movement coming from within......
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

if you would have used parentheses or mentioned Ogilvy the first time I would have got the War of the Worlds reference.

now put on your sunglasses

High Treason

Ah, conspiracy nuts. They do make life a lot more interesting.

A part of me wishes every conspiracy was true, because if it was I'd never get bored, I'd be able to live for free using my Free Energy Machine, maybe jump into my Ununpentium fueled Anti-gravity car and drive to lunch with the gray alien race on their home planet before waiting at the end of a wormhole for Die Glocke to come out so I can assassinate Hitler on my way home.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Puritan

Yay!!
Just off from work.
Wont be back there until january 5'th!
Time for some premium Norwegian Lager I assume  8)
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

Had another of those crazy duke3d / mapping related dreams last night. this time i was making / testing a huge ass city map, i remember a particular section with very high skyscrapers with rooftops and several enterable floors and balconies, and detailed cars being driven about at the bottom. there also were bridges, shops, a crazy-looking more industrial section with a lot of cool shit. then i woke up and it struck me how bad my actual mapping skills sucked in comparison. I love those dreams about incredible-looking maps because although they are really rare, they make for new visions and ideas, perspectives and how to get better. still trying to think of ways to implement stuff i have seen in my latest duke dreams in the map i am currently working on. i can usually rebuild the basic, rough sketches of my visions, but doing it in detail (especially considering the amount of detail that gets generated in those dreams) would really be impossible. I can probably get maybe 5%, 10% close. would love to work on expanding that number

Micky C

Yeah your skills suck  :P

If/when Helix implements WOW (wall-over-wall), then tall skyscrapers with multiple enterable floors and rooftops will become much, much more feasible (both easier to construct, more flexible, and less resource-consuming).
Wall whore.

ck3D

everything in the map i was visualizing in my dream looked completely feasible with our current versions of mapster. even though cognitive automation can obviously always get better and better optimized.

if anything it is the technical gap between my (our) vision(s) at deeper levels of consciousness, and what they look like after their actual, physical realization that struck me. the whole time in my dream i was like ok, this is how you make a map. then i woke up and my thoughts were still confused for a second as i was trying to make out the reality from the fantasy. i then remembered my actual shit in the real world under the form of my current project (which i personally, normally don't even regard as a bad start) and for a second or two i was genuinely disgusted with my work. really like okay now, what is this piece of junk ? this has to be using about 0,2% of the editor's (and my brain's) capacity, why am i even making this ?

this is what getting better at things in general, and realizing yourself all comes down to ; putting your time to the most optimized, possible use in order to constantly better your mastership of the physical technicalities of this world, in order to nurture and subsequently express your vision accordingly. but 1) it's a never-ending cycle or so it seems and 2) there is so little time

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  06 January 2015, 09:23:47If/when Helix implements WOW (wall-over-wall), then tall skyscrapers with multiple enterable floors and rooftops will become much, much more feasible (both easier to construct, more flexible, and less resource-consuming).

How different is this method to TROR? I'm curious.

Micky C

Think of TROR as vertical, and WOW as horizontal. You can also do things like elevators with multiple windows stacked up over eachother into the elevator shaft (currently impossible since sectors cannot rise up into other TROR layers). Windows over each other in 3D buildings will no longer be restricted to individual TROR layers and can be at arbitrary heights. You also won't have to extend an entire area just to get a little bit of 3D going on, which is particularly an issue for outdoor areas, especially if the shapes of the areas are anything but small and simple.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Bliss !
Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) is confirmed for my favourite festival this summer  8)

Oh when I'm old and wise