What do you want to build for the CBP?

Started by Micky C, 12 February 2013, 12:14:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

By this stage many of us have started building our parts of the CBP independently. It's great to see so much enthusiasm, and so far all the started sections are turning out quite different, which is great and gives the CBP plenty of variety, while also saving the project a bit of time.

However the problem is there's a lot of inconsistency.

I have a long sandy beach set in the late afternoon
Quakis has a small town set in the day/morning
Drek has a misty cove/cave section
High Treason has a hotel on a beach set on a cloudy night.

The themes and times of day are everywhere. Now although this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does however affect the order of who's building when. One way I'm thinking of managing it is that those who haven't started building anything yet can go between those sections which have already started and hopefully provide some kind of transition. However it might already be the case that some sections go naturally together. For example, Drek has a dark misty cove, the player could easily move through the caves and emerge near the hotel in HT's section.

I also want the map to end with at least one section by mapper(s) that have released 2 or more maps scoring over 90 at CGS. So Supertanker and Henri K are in, and ironically Quakis is out  :P

Can everyone not listed above please outline roughly what you want to build for your section to help with this?
Wall whore.

underTaker

It's pretty hard to say what i'm doing. Currently i've added small beach section with very small island, where Duke starts. There's also small hotel, which will be only used to walk through corridor to room, then to balcony and then to some kind of industrial building - wasterwater plant, some port maybe, don't know yet.

Edit:
At day of course, it will be adjectant to what you've already sent me.

Helixirr

I'd like to think the first maps consists of (in order)
- big beach
- coast city area
- underwater section
- underwater base
- a dam from where you could make your way to the submarine

Then, in the second map
- nocturnal coast section
- caverns
- some high-tech base
- underwater section
- island city area
- harbor
- island with a very high alien tower
- battle on top of the tower

I don't want to see any boss battle at the end, tough battle, yes, but not a boss battle. Boss battles get overused. Standard nuke button, that's what it's all about.  :D

The parts I'd like to build are marked in bold.
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

Micky C

That's actually a bloody good plan. You should be in charge of the CBP (the only reason why I somehow ended up in charge is that I got everyone together, I've only had experience in one CBP)

That really makes me want to build a dam section. But hey, you know what? We're already making 2 maps, I don't see any real problem with making it 3 maps or two maps with a boss map ;)
Wall whore.

Helixirr

Boss map? Noooo...!  :o

Alright, fine. :) I could do that boss map, which might be on top of that tower. ::) I think there should be some kind of Battlelord build-up for the boss, you know, bunch of Battlelords and some little puzzles before the actual boss, whichever one of the bosses it may that final boss be. Exciting, I'll start with that!  ;D

I find 3 maps reasonable. I'm having enough work with the three sections I chose already, but I take other suggestions with great pleasure.  ;) The plan is just a rough sketch, but I think it is interesting enough.

Now, I'm waiting for that damn dam, Micky C!  8)
Current project(s):
CBP9

Micky C

I meant final fight map  :P It doesn't have to be a boss. It could be a well choreographed fight with timed respawns.

But I love the plan you've got. It's got a nice spread of some epic and/or unique areas. Plus realistically generic areas which simply aren't done very often in build.
I'll try working on a dam over the next few weeks while everyone else is working on their sections. I'm confident I can get the curves we need for a smooth dam.

I really hope that all the remaining mappers can find something from the list that suits them  :D It shouldn't be too hard since several of those points are already taken.
Wondering who will do the underwater base, high tech base, and boat harbour. Hmm I'd bet Gambini would do a great harbour with his inventiveness. Too bad he's busy.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  12 February 2013, 13:29:13
That's actually a bloody good plan.

Now you know why I suggested Henri as a participant  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  12 February 2013, 12:14:59I also want the map to end with at least one section by mapper(s) that have released 2 or more maps scoring over 90 at CGS. So Supertanker and Henri K are in, and ironically Quakis is out  :P

Have to be honest. I find this line a little insulting. As if CGS dictates quality. This regards any author.

----

Can't help but feel this project is becoming a little unorganised. Ideas are thrown all over the place and several of these are simply accepted at random. I'm concerned about the direction of the CBP right now.

Micky suggested my part be the last segment of the first level with a boat which ends the level and takes the player to Drek's in the second map. I agreed with this and have been thinking about a harbour/pier segment. Now the map is ending at a dam and previous confirmed ideas are now thrown out the window? How long before this happens again?

Two maps we originally planned was a reasonable idea to allow more freedom within the limits. We also had a clear theme guideline which people can build around. This then allowed anyone to build something around the theme of coastline/beaches. Now we are doing three maps and following a list of locations to work from? One of the best aspects of CBPs was the ability to allow a certain level of freedom in what mappers made for their segment, which they continue off from someone elses. May I also ask, why the map must end in a boss fight? That sounds tacked on. If the third level becomes a boss map, I'd say not to bother. Focus all the effort on the two maps and create the finale in the most suitable way based off what we create, whichever tone that may be.

Micky C

Yeah I mainly said you're out because your section is already being used in the first map. I still think the 2 maps @ 90 is a good rough guide (it doesn't have to be absolute). I don't make the criteria and I wouldn't want myself making the last section even if I was motivated to do it.

I do admit I'm failing my duty as the CBP organiser, I'm changing my mind every five minutes, and have a "wait and see" approach to several things which exactly the best plan.
Just to clarify a few things:
>We'll only expand to a 3rd map if absolutely needed. If we have good ideas I don't see why we should cut them out.
>Henri's plan isn't set in stone, and it definitely does not have to be done in that order. For example the dam can be anywhere that suits it.
>A great deal from that list has already been chosen to be worked on from mappers. In fact the only thing that's probably still up for grabs is the high tech section, and we can live without that in a beach map if we have to. And of course people can come up with sections not on that list.
Wall whore.

underTaker

In my opinion giving random ideas is actually good thing - it's where creative things come from - somebody give one idea, other person adds something to it and third one gets some vision on about how to do that.

I think the list is not neccesary at all, it is just good to clarify who's doing what to prevent redundance.

And it's just good to remember we're creating beach/coast themed map ;)

quakis

Quote from: underTaker on  12 February 2013, 23:27:29In my opinion giving random ideas is actually good thing - it's where creative things come from - somebody give one idea, other person adds something to it and third one gets some vision on about how to do that.

Don't get me wrong though, providing several ideas is fine and definitely encouraged. I just want to ensure things are clear cut and organised when we're putting them together, and not making decisions so suddenly without some input from other members of the team. Otherwise, we may see problems arising too soon in the development. Since we have several CBP first-timers here, I'd rather the project be a success for them and not end up falling apart, so I'm just addressing concerns and hoping to clear things up.

Thanks for the clarification, Micky.

Supertanker

Sorry if I'm jumping into this thread a little fast (I need to get into bed and I just kinda skimmed it);

I'd like to do some underground caves with maybe some minor high-tech segments thrown in, if possible. You know, sorta like Area 27, but less "where am I." Underground rivers, caves that open onto beaches...that sort of thing. Any time of day but night.

Unless the idea is already taken...

High Treason

I wonder if it would be worth Supertanker putting his section between mine and Drek's?

Speaking of which, it occured to me that Drek's section is in daylight, so unless that changes, we'll end up with two daytime maps. It isn't a major issue to me, I can change my sky if I need to although I will be tempted just to un-parallax the sky and use the BLANK texture if it comes to that but whatever, it's all up to everyone else really.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Helixirr

How about
- all maps are in daylight

OR

- the first map gradually becomes a little darker from daylight, the second map is nocturnal for the most part and the final level has daylight

In my opinion, the latter choice is better. Gives player a sense of progression.  :)
Current project(s):
CBP9

High Treason

It was said at one point that the second map would be at night, which is why I brought this up. Keep in mind there can only be one parallax texture in any map.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]