Duke Nukem 3D oddities

Started by Helixirr, 18 February 2013, 18:32:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Helixirr

Hello there, guys!  8)

I was unsure where to put this topic, so I decided to put it right here.  :) I dedicated this topic for all those strange or surprising things that can be found in Duke Nukem 3D.  :D

To start things off, I discovered something I never knew existed in the game. By hitting open right behind the pig cop tank, in front of a nuke button, Duke can actually make the tank explode! I'm not kidding, I never knew about this! Awesome!  ;D
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

Puritan

"Resources" might be a good place to put this topic, maybe.

Yeah, the self-destruct button is cool.
But you must be quick, both on chasing the tank around and also run like hell when the self-destruct mechanism activates.
The blast radius is quite big  :o
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Helixirr

Thanks for moving this topic to somewhat appropriate location.  :)

I hope other people post some of their weird discoveries as well.  :D
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

MSandt

Yeah I found out about that trick relatively late too, but that was more than ten years ago.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

how obscure are we talking about? alot of exploits are already pretty well known; like shooting mini-battlelords in the nuts with a shrinker works, strafe-jumping, crouch-clipping, going off a cliff while shrunk prevents fall damage, no matter how far duke falls if he manages to land on a blocking wall aligned sprite he'll take no damage, floor and wall aligned blocking sprites negate underwater effects when swam over, iirc in the original game toilet and hydrant water can get duke up to 100 hp.

am i on the right track or going off on a tangent?
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Can you be more specific about the crouch clipping?
Wall whore.

quakis

I'm assuming he means this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DenzGwwKi7A

After jumping, immediantly crouch upon landing near a small gap (iirc) This can be used to get through all kinds of small gaps, noticably E1L4's shrink-ray vents without being shrunk. Check the very short video above to get an idea.

On second thoughts, it could also be related to the clipping done in this speedrun video I just noticed; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7ZMhiDZIY

Forge

Quote from: quakis on  21 February 2013, 00:43:40
After jumping, immediantly crouch upon landing near a small gap (iirc) This can be used to get through all kinds of small gaps, noticably E1L4's shrink-ray vents without being shrunk.

this. i don't know what else to call it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

High Treason

I always called it hump-jumping, I tend to trigger it by jumping and crouching at the same time. It also works on mask walls and sprites; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0_YmYGR8s&feature=player_detailpage&list=PLCFE2BE6823EDE7E4#t=1391s

You can immagine how that breaks several levels, I couldn't bring myself to tell the Midnight Arrival guy at Duke4.net that I got into the blue key building by doing that... Though I did come back out and look for the key, but I jumped up into a vent by standing on a pig cop that fell down.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]