[RELEASE] Saline

Started by Forge, 10 March 2013, 19:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

New map by Kevin Mooney

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/saline/saline.php

kinda reminds me of one of those pre-'98 maps that's not the greatest thing out there, but is pretty good and worth a look. especially if you like old school maps
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Loke

Fun map. Didn't really like the beginning with the sewer maze but once you're out it gets better. I found ammo for the RPG and Devastator but didn't come across the actual guns. Where they tucked away in some obscure secret area?

Forge

i don't remember where the devastator is, but there's an RPG on top of the truck at the loading dock

underTaker

Just had time to play it. It was indeed very fun map. Layout was simple, yet aesthetic. I've found few texture bugs, but not too visible. Just same as Loke - i couldn't find devastator. I also didn't see shrinker anywhere.

Forge

shrinker is in a room off the first factory floor area. (first factory floor that is seen by the overlooking office windows & has the lift up to the yellow lock)

i might have to re-play it to recall the location of the devastator. i don't remember picking it up.

edit: took the time time browse around the level in mapster and now i know why i couldn't remember where the devastaor is stashed. there is no devastator. i'm guessing the one trashcan tagged to spawn dev ammo was a mis-tag

Puritan

A simple but yet fun level.
I like it  ;)
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Kevin Mooney

Thanks very much for the positive reviews lads! Yes, I took out the devastator, as it was over-kill. Forgot to remove the ammo (whoops!)  ::)

Forge

yay, the author showed up

make more

Kevin Mooney

Just discovered the 'release thread' button  :P . Have a couple of maps. Thanks to your advice, I can now spruce them up a bit.

ck3D

just played this, pretty fun map that indeed reminded me of some 1996 user maps like Anarchy or CBBG in terms of feel, just more polished. Interesting style with basic yet uncommon and colorful texturing choices in most indoor areas, a lot of odd shapes and square corners that might feel amateurish to some but did not bother me one bit because the gameplay was pretty immersive and intense. Never found the shrinker, but I did find the RPG, freezethrower and lots of pipebombs. Ammo / health / monster ratio was on point. Challenges and puzzles were enough to make me explore around a little bit but nothing too tedious I couldn't figure out by myself. Globally I had a fun time playing this, it could have probably been aesthetically cleaner or more ambitious but I liked the style nonetheless and my playthrough was fun !

Merlijn

I also played this level, I pretty much agree with what's being said. I thought the blocky architecture took the overall quality down sometimes (especially in the sewer sections), and some stuff was still quite unpolished, but overall it was worth the play. I think I liked the factory sections the most, those were quite fun and well designed.

Also thought the false ending was pretty funny heh.  ;D