Voxel Pack

Started by Drek, 16 March 2013, 16:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Drek

Qouting myself;
Quote from: Drek on  10 March 2013, 23:11:10
What would you all say if I co released a voxel pack with CBP 9. Not exactly together, but at the same time together...
I've fallen in love with the software renderer, thanks to this project.
Damn you Micky C :P

Sample video; High Detailed Voxel Pack, HDVP
http://youtu.be/VpSwOfwBWG4

I'm really close to finishing this, or starting it again properly with new found information. Anyways, the thing is limits are hit... I was going to attempt a HRP in software type feel but fuck that. I'm going for a minimal Voxel Model Package with all enemies and pickups voxelized. I feel this is best for many reasons, first, not all sprites are always supposed to be models :( the HRP is kinda fucked with user maps. Second, I can get the most detailed voxels possible and just come close to my limit, enemies, bosses, pickups. Another reason, it's a shit ton of work and that seems to be good for me...

Anyways, I'm here to ask CBP9 members and the scent-88 mods if any of you guys would be willing to beta test with me along the way. Also I'd like to have a private place (Aka, start another topic here.) where a group of trusted skilled dukers (y'all I hope) can comment and critique the pack while it's in progress.

Supertanker

Sure, I'll help beta-test if you want.

Forge

Quote from: Drek on  16 March 2013, 21:25:22
Hey Forge, I was hoping to high jack the CBP9 Private forum to host a Beta testing discussion thread for the Voxel pack I'm working on. I want somewhere semi private yet public enough and active, I thought that would be a good spot. I won't upload anything here, I'll post mostly links to other hosting sites, it's up to 60+MB. I can do it all through pm at Duke4 but, meh, I figure I'd ask you first. I like it here. So anyways, I'm requesting to start a thread in the private CBP9 subforum for the Voxel Pack. Is that ok with you?

post up the requirements:

Location & Duration
who's currently authorized access
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Drek

Thanks a lot Forge.
I'm in the progress of writing up a quick html page. And deciding where to upload the pack. I use mediafire, but I'm looking into what space I have with google, may make a small webpage to go along with it all. Either way I'll put a link to the Voxel Model Pack later today.

As for the future of the thread. I think it's perfect here, CBP9 members can check it out and test if they like, comment if they like... So to clarify, while this is a private sub-forum now, it will probably become public after release, we'll behave. My first post is full of profanity, lol :)

Forge

alright. leave it as it is for now.
if you want to keep using this thread for your own use, it can be moved and permissions can be changed to suit your needs when the time comes to cross that bridge.

Drek

I honestly don't mind it becoming public. I just want to be able to hide out behind the scenes for a while to work on it with some intelligent feedback. You all know your shit, and love your game. I think you guys are the best to have a sneak peak. Help shape it in some ways.

So with no further adioux, here is my first website since a SNES rom collection in 1997 lol.

https://sites.google.com/site/duke3dvmp/home?pli=1

Drek

So I've had that link up for a few days and thought to check in. I'm curious if anyone has tried out the voxel pack, I wasn't really clear about what I want of you guys. Basically, did it run for you? I'm not looking for major feedback on the art yet, it's not my art in the beta pack, I'm reworking it. I just want to know if the eduke32.exe I compiled is working for others as it works for me.

Do you get voxels when you play with this voxel pack?
https://sites.google.com/site/duke3dvmp/home?pli=1

Forge

did a quick run through of E1L1

07 - 08 weird panning shadow - looking left to right/right to left the shadow slides across the ground - and i think it's from the dead trooper on the crate to the far right
10 - lots of facing in the wrong direction - engine/original placement?
11 - sprites clip through objects - engine?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Forge

12 - steroid bottle too small
13 - pistol too big
14 - jetpack too thin - shotgun ammo a little too big
16 - holoduke too tall

Forge

17 - another odd directional issue - not flipped - engine?

Drek

That's great news to me. Not only is it working for you, but we are having the same issues.

07, 08 - that shadow bug is the worst, it's brutally distracting. In the engine the line is commented // hack

10 - I think maphacks will work. It may need to be an autoload pack, I think.

11 - I've seen that too. I didn't think it was too often or too bad. Good catch, I haven't the slightest idea why it's happening, my first guess is sprite drawing priorities. It's on my to do list now.

12 to 16 - thanks for that, I see while playing that things are off scale, but what and which way is hard to remember.

17 - that one is an engine issue, Hendricks has said it's there for better or worse, like vox2poly, I'm trying tonight to work around it in my custom Eduke builds.

Thanks for the feedback Forge.

Forge

i see you talking to the brains at the other forum. let me know when you make an update that needs testing.