old, unseen or abandoned maps screen shots.

Started by ck3D, 23 April 2013, 21:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

ck3D

in the speakers corner thread i recently posted about how i just managed to recover a bunch of 10+ year-old maps of mine from an old hard drive. some people seemed to want to know more, so i just took a bunch of screenshots in mapster. if enough people want me to upload one of said maps, or get one of the unfinished files in order to keep working on it and see what they can do, we can work something out.

here are the screenshots along with a short description for each map. some of the levels are very very old, including my very first mapping attemps from 2001-ish so a lot of it is laughable, i am still posting everything just for the sake of it.

___
war zone map, 2002 | status : abandoned

a map set in a war zone setting, the basic idea was that duke finds himself on a hospital bed in the infirmary, everyone else on his camp is dead and the aliens are attacking, he is supposed to struggle and fight his way through the building of his own base in order to make it to the fighting field, then to the aliens base in order to stop them all by himself as the only survivor, i had big plans for this one in mind for its time but my mapping skills were too undeveloped to implement everything i felt like implementing, due to the frustration of not being able to express my vision properly i lost all inspiration and ditched this one.

___
time traveller episode, 2002 | status : playable

horrible looking episode i made when i was 14, influenced by the duke nukem time to kill storyline, duke finds a time machine in the first level then gets to explore what is supposed to represent different eras of history, the design is terrible and the gameplay sucks ass too but it was fun getting my hands back on it after all this time. boss fight was a rooftop fight similar to the idea i gave to Mikko for one of the metropolitan mayhem boss maps (i didn't even remember i had built it before myself !), except a lot shittier of course, although i still do like the idea of implementing jetpacks.

___
smb.map, 2002 / 2003 | status : abandoned

this one actually had some potential, it is yet another school map i started soon after i finished nda20.map (available on this website to this day, yes nda20.map was also a school map even though it doesn't ressemble a school in anyway), i never went as far as building more than just a couple of corridors but it wasn't necessarily taking a bad turn.

___
niglo.map, 2002 | status : horrible

i wanted to build a theme park, but had no mapping skills whatsoever, this is what ensued. this one is never leaving my hard drive again.

___
miri.map, 2003 | status : abandoned

another one that had potential, this one featured a party house in the middle of the woods and a three-story mansion, even though i only really finished the first floor and a half. i really wanted to make it a good map, however i did run out of inspiration, some of the design was heavily influenced by my favorite looking map back then, an obscure and intricate multiplayer map called binn.map that was around on most shovelware cds of way back when

___
random house maps, 2002. | status : playable for the most part, yet horrible

for some reason when i was a kid i really liked building houses. i made like half a dozen versions of my parents' house (screens 1 & 2 are two different versions of the same room), which later extended to my neighborhood and resulted in the first anarchy city maps. you might recognize the playground in the backyard from anarchy city 1 or one of the metropolitan mayhem boss maps.

___
unfinished high tech map, 2005. | status : abandoned

i had really big plans for this one with a lot of complicated effects that were not around yet before all those new mods like duke plus or eduke32 enhancement came along, with no .con hacking whatsoever either, that included duke bots (kind of like in red 4 except pushed even further) and useable space suits amongst other things. stopped working on it for a while because of a stupid two way train effect that refused to work, then eventually all the new features came along and the map became obsolete for itself. shame because i was actually really enjoying working on it, but ran out of inspiration.

___
final assault episode, 2002. | status : playable

another noobish full episode, although slightly more polished and coherent than the time traveller one. obvious lack of shading and detail, the maps are short and rushed. half a dozen of SP maps, a boss map, a multiplayer map and a secret map (which is a recreation of the first level of Duke Nukem II, see screen 5). the boss map was an arena where the player could trigger explosions by activating certain switches in a different order in order to harm the boss, which i still haven't seen much anywhere else.

___
blois.map from 2002. | status : playable

kind of like an early version of anarchy city II based on the same real-world place, with less indoor areas and action overall, but an extra outdoor mall even though it's cramped and not that good looking. i was really psyched on this level after i finished it, but never released it because i thought anarchy city II was better, and it probably is. a bunch of modified enemies such as pigcops shooting mortars and RPGs in this one (like in most old maps of mine), which didn't mix well with the overall crampedness.

___
anarchy city 1 remake from 2005 | status : abandoned

thought i had a more advanced version of this map laying around somewhere but i can't seem to find it. the version i have now is just this building, and the rebuilt backyard i recycled in one of the boss maps of metropolitan mayhem. the other version had an extra street and building. whatever

___
city map from 2005 | status : abandoned

not much to say about this one. just a building with a couple of rooms and an elevator, followed by an unfinished street section. pretty sure i had a more recent version of it around somewhere with another building, whatever, not even worth trying to find it.

___
a bunch of old shitty maps from 2001 / 2002. first mapping attempts ever. | status : playable, but terrible

hyped i managed to find those maps again, even though they suck hairy balls, these were some of my very first mapping attempts. screen 1 is a terrible recreation of the goldeneye 64 bunker level. screens 2 and 7 are from the original clerey map (1.0, first map i ever released was version 2.0, it was available on dn-r for a short while and while still questionable, it at least looked a bit more decent and somewhat convincing). screen 3 and 4 are from a shitty house map. screens 5 and 6 are from the original notre-dame des aydes map (1.0, version 2.0 is hosted on this site to this day). screen 8 features the same real-world outdoor mall as the one that is in blois.map.

methy

I think I still have "unfinished high tech map, 2005" on one of my hard drives. This one was really cool and original both in design and ideas.
I also know "city map from 2005" which had potential indeed but iirc was only just one building and half a street. Though I guess it could be mixed with other city maps of yours.

Also I'm pretty sure I've played Blois.map but way back in 2005 or something, which for me was cool because it's my hometown.

"JIAM" you seem to be good at coming up with brand names :D
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

quakis

It'd be fun roaming around these maps in the editor. ;D

Despite what you consider of the quality, I can see potential in these maps regardless (at least from the screens). Many of those maps look like they could be merged together and appear to have a basic outlines ready. Then the original ideas can be kept intact while sprucing up the design and gameplay.

I'm sure something could come out of these. Not that I plan to start anything official but I am interested in checking those maps out and messing around with them for the heck of it!

ck3D

give me a couple of hours and i will just post an archive with all the maps for everyone to check out... they have been put aside for way too long not to become public property somehow

ck3D

there you go, see attached rar file. i tried not to forget any, in fact i even found a couple more maps in the process of packing them together ! do whatever you feel like doing with these, i am probably not touching them again. if you feel like finishing one of the unfinished maps let me know and we will get in touch because chances are i am going to be curious as to what you will come up with. have fun

[attachment deleted by admin]

Micky C

Looking at the screenshots, some of those look cool and interesting, others not so much  :P
At least for those simplier levels if someone wanted to build off them and add details, I would have thought it'd be easier building a level from scratch.
Wall whore.

Forge

not that i intend to do anything beyond taking a look since i can't even get the motivation to work on my own projects. i'm interested in what i may find in this collection.

as for building a map from scratch - maybe so. maybe some people just need a nudge or inspiration

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

ck3D

Micky C : i know, i think so too, i mostly added the shitty ones for curiosity's sake more than anything, in the other thread in which i originally mentioned these maps people were telling me they were interested in checking out the progression i had been through, so here i am giving them what it takes !

this is not a release thread or a community project invite... i am really just posting a bunch of my first maps i just recovered.

also, new maps are always fun to play even when they are wack sometimes... it's like cheap cookies or junk food, it may taste like shit, but it makes for some new material to sink one's teeth into if they are starving.

Forge

- if i find something host-worthy (50 & above) would you mind if i reviewed it?
- or is there some cut off on how low the map will score before it's acceptable to you (i won't fudge scores just to host it)

ck3D

you are free to do anything you want with the entire map pack, or any of the individual maps and episodes included in the map pack, i really don't mind. just please make sure that you mention the fact that it's ten years old in your review somewhere so it doesn't confuse anyone who might be keeping track of my releases (does anyone even do that ?). and even that, i don't really care much about to be honest. do whatever you feel like doing, i appreciate that you have taken the time to ask me before doing anything, too.

Forge

Niglo looks like some '96 map that should have stayed in '96, but other than the hidden door in the vent to get to the grounded ship, it really didn't play too bad.
Aymhouse is actually pretty decent other than some crowding issues

Forge

Blois looks nice and the combat is tough but fair. Didn't like the fact that the wall in the sewer to get access to the second part of the map was not marked (if there was a crack it was completely invisible). had to use the showmap cheat because i was wandering for quite awhile before frustration set in. The shops on the backside are also way too cramped.
This map definitely should be fixed up and released as the "hidden anarchy level"

methy

I used to be a postman in the area where "Blois.map" takes place, would be quite nostalgic if it was released.

Well whatever, I used to be a postman in Anarchy City 2 at the same time anyway (same postman tour, the two are actually just NEXT to each others IRL) so I got that
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

went through the "7 shitty first maps"
interesting to be able to see the progression of the house and nda maps

zykoveddy

Interesting package, looking forward to roaming around these in mapster  :P
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.