[RELEASE] Duke Nukem Forever (2013)

Started by MSandt, 30 April 2013, 12:45:27

Previous topic - Next topic

MSandt

Here's something Gambini & I have been working on, a Duke3D mod inspired by bits and pieces of what DNF was supposed to be back in the days. It's as if DNF had been released on the Build/EDuke32 engine.

Download: http://msdn.duke4.net/DNF.zip

Screenshots:

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

ck3D

yes ! i will be playing this as soon as i can, probably sometime next week. i'll be sure to share my thoughts about it ! congratulations to everyone involved

Micky C

I've been working on an unofficial map for the mod. There was stuff in the 1998 trailer that I really wanted to see but didn't get, such as UFOs, the 1998 trailer strip club, and other stuff. So the map will have a 1998 emphasis. With TROR, I should be able to get UFOs and EDF jets flying all over the place, and I'm going to try to make it polymost compatible.

I've been working on it for 2 days. So far, 3 minutes of gameplay and almost 5000 walls. It looks better in-game.
I don't want to take away from the release though, Mikko and Gambini did a great job.

Wall whore.

Puritan

Yay!
Looks, ooohh so sweet, Mikko and Gambini  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Wow, played the first 3 levels and I'm loving it so far. Some of the best mapping for Duke I've seen.

I only have one major gripe: the dukebike code seems to have a glitch so with some jumps the bike keeps floating in mid air for a while. This wouldn't be that bad, but driving from a sloped sector too fast can actually kill you.  :-\ I hope this gets fixed, the mod is too good to let stuff like this get in the way.

Anyway, like I said I'm really enjoying this. Love the infected soldiers and the mapping is outstanding. The Vegas map looks amazing and the 3th level even manages to rival the canyon level from the AMC tc.

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  30 April 2013, 14:02:22
Yay!
Looks, ooohh so sweet, Mikko and Gambini  ;)
i would say host it now.
things come up and it may be several days(or more) before i find time to finish it and provide a write-up
unless merlijn wants to do it
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Done  :)
I've hosted the map with a "pending review".

I'm terrible sorry but I'm in a hurry right now.
Don't have time to do a write up for the front page nor the news section until tomorrow.
I apologise  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Finished. 8) That last level was dam good! And the final cutscene was really funny.  :D

I could do a full review, but not now. I need to play it at least one more time before I can write a decent review.

MSandt

Awesome, nice to know the "old guard" enjoyed the mod as well!

Quote from: Micky C on  30 April 2013, 13:53:33
I've been working on an unofficial map for the mod. There was stuff in the 1998 trailer that I really wanted to see but didn't get, such as UFOs, the 1998 trailer strip club, and other stuff. So the map will have a 1998 emphasis. With TROR, I should be able to get UFOs and EDF jets flying all over the place, and I'm going to try to make it polymost compatible.

I've been working on it for 2 days. So far, 3 minutes of gameplay and almost 5000 walls. It looks better in-game.
I don't want to take away from the release though, Mikko and Gambini did a great job.

That's cool, I can only hope it shows up glitch-free here!
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Micky C

It's glitch free in polymost on my end, not sure if your AMD card would make a difference.

So can you tell us anything about the upcoming update? I mean are we going to get gloved hands, saving the president, the 2001 shotgun someone was working on, more levels? So far this mod is a huge success, so expanding it seems worthwhile.
Wall whore.

Gambini

You can expect some kind of update in the future. We´d be glad to include community maps like yours and maybe more mappers.

Maybe all this noise will wake up Lezing and he will get around finishing the bike code at least!

Micky C

Ok last photo for a while. I spent over 2 hours making this canyon (instead of doing an assignment due tomorrow) which was supposed to be just background decor for the 10 seconds it takes to cross that bridge, but I didn't want it to go to waste, so I added a road along the side the player should go down.

In hindsight, especially with the UFOs, this reminds me of Independance Day.

Wall whore.

Gambini

Forge

by the time i get around to playing this mod, micky will already have some additional material added to it
starting to feel like the real DNF, which i haven't played beyond the arena boss fight in the demo
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Hopefully I'll have this done within a few weeks... although exams are looming on the horizon... but I'm only aiming for about 15 minutes of gameplay. All I can say is that if Gambini's going to make another level, he should wait for my beta so he can see what's left over from the 1998 trailer.

I was SOOOO tempted to post the strip club pic in the release thread (right at the start) and say "wow, that really does look like the 1998 clip!" then drive people crazy trying to find it in their version  ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I'm keeping it relatively secret for now, haven't mentioned it at Duke4.net or anything.
Wall whore.