[RELEASE] Quantum Physics

Started by High Treason, 10 May 2013, 02:07:08

Previous topic - Next topic

High Treason

Not sure if I'm doing this too early, probably won't post at Duke4 yet anyway.

Anyway, here is my newest map, Quantum Physics, it doesn't have any physics puzzles in it, but it may or not be something depending upon the observation - sounded better than the working title of "Nothing is Fixed" anyway.

Description
The map takes place after Riverside Town, Duke docks the boat with an EDF Oceanic Elevator shaft and hears word that the aliens have invaded the nearby of Seaside City, bombed the roads to cut it off and invaded an undersea base. The entrance to the base is secret and nobody but high security IMF and EDF officials know about it - and they are all dead - they all agreed that the entrance took the P*** though. Duke must ride the transport to Seaside City and find his way into the base, how he deals with the alien scum there depends on what he finds upon his arrival.

Have fun. I you get stuck, consult the Guide TXT file. The map is designed for Polymost, should run in all modes if you can't use that. Also, if the map appears to not work at the train, update EDuke32. I recommend reading the Guide.txt once you have finished the map, you might learn something about it.

Pictures

Stupid Trailer
http://youtu.be/7hvnj59-Dqg

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?6fc2jo72u8wu324

CGS Download
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

I hope you made good use of that clock. Have you applied more innovative effects? I remember reading about a multiple stops train and your warning about eduke32 makes me think you included that thing too.

High Treason

The clock timer is fairly important to the map, but I haven't used it to it's full potential. There are new innovative effects of sorts, mostly related to puzzles and confusing the player. The train is there, the rest are a surprise; see spoiler.

That clock will probably make a return though, as it was originally devised for a map called "The Midnight Shift" which I dropped because it was too ambitious. In that map it would have controlled doors, machines and a railway around a nuclear plant (Belli Nuclear, which was an alternative title)... That isn't to say that the concept of that map won't make a return in a setting I can handle better. That also isn't to say that the mechanism can't be copied by others (in fact I may be willing to lend my own one out under certain conditions).

Oddly, that is one map this one didn't include any layout from. There is a room from "Stoneledge Prison" which was the original sequel to Riverside Town as well as a puzzle devised for it, there is also an office from "Apogee Towers" which is where the elevator design started (16 Floors) as well as a reconstruction of a bridge from "EDF Computer Base".

SPOILER
There is a wave effect for the ocean, single button 4 floor elevator, multiswitch combination puzzles, random combination puzzle, a sound related puzzle, layout randomizer - simply selects a door based on how long you took to reach a certain point - two of these.
At one point, if you took more than 10 mins to complete the level, a door would open and the nuke switch would disappear causing you to face a boss, if more than 30 mins were taken, that door would close and a teleporter would take the player to a cell where he would die with the aliens laughing through the bars and rendering the level impossible to finish. As it is, there is only one ending now due to a technical problem and an error in my design but I may work this idea into a later map. I also have concepts for some new puzzles, though I am bound to run out eventually. Expect the next map to be enigmatic.
Not all of the effects were going to be included, but I've had severe health problems a few times in the past few months and decided to throw more and more of what I had into it as I hated the thought that it would go to waste - as it stands, I'm probably getting better as I have stopped starving myself and the doctors seem less concerned than they were, every test they have taken is coming back normal these days, except the lymph nodes which shall be scanned again next month but that was likely due to viral infections I had.

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

zykoveddy

Good map, I enjoyed it.
Gotta love the innovative effects and ideas. The police light effect really surprised me, I had to go to LeBuild to figure out how this thing works. The train at the beginning is also pretty cool. The clock reminded me of Lezing's LPT.

The ocean waves near the beach look great, but everything was too dark and I didn't noticed them when I played the map the first time.
From the flight of the seagull come the spread claws of the eagle.

Forge

outscoring your edf base map doesn't mean you need to stop making levels

great puzzles and effects

Quote from: High Treason on  10 May 2013, 02:07:08
Not sure if I'm doing this too early, probably won't post at Duke4 yet anyway.
i think you should share at Duke4. not everbody over there is on your "to kill" list and most of them will miss out on this fine piece of work if you don't cross post

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Forge is a dork  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

Thanks everyone.

I'm not about to stop making levels, I'll get 91 with my next one... Even though I haven't thought of what to do yet - I have a feeling "The Midnight Shift" might not be entirely dead. I learned a lot during the development of this one and I think I've found my niche now. In the meantime, I think I shall devote my efforts to inventing some new evil puzzles - perhaps next time, all of them will be randomized.

Merlijn

I have only played it once so far, so I have to play it again to get one of the different endings. Anyway, I enjoyed the level, the hi-tech/underwater parts were my favorite parts. The effects are really well done, so kudos for adding things that we never saw before without any new CONs.  :)

The map did feel a bit too confined and claustrophobic sometimes, IIRC correctly your last map featured a hotel that had pretty open design. This map also could have used some of that. If the city parts were a bit more open, it would have offered a nice contrast with the more confined nature of the hi-tech base.