News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

RELEASE: THE THING (By Loke)

Started by Gambini, 10 May 2013, 02:16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambini

It seems like Loke made this awesome thing but forgot to tell people to play it:

It´s an extremely detailed and awesome looking map based on the The Thing movie. The only problem is that it has no action.

I tried to let some people know about this but it seems my attemps gone unnoticed.

Get it at: http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d/addons/the-thing1

CGS Download

High Treason

You posted this now on purpose, I call shenanigans! I see what you're doing, you're trying to dominate the release forums with your DNF and this... I've got your name, I've got your ass! ;D

I remember seeing screens of this one, I wondered what had happened to it. I shall be playing it, mostly to admire what it looks like.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Gambini

No, that wasnt my intention!

You know I discovered this thing by accident and noticed with the days it showed no activity at all. The problem with adding things as addons in Moddb is that they have no exposure at all. I was meaning to do this from some days ago and, just after posting it at duke4.net, thought CGS needs a thread too.

High Treason

I was only joking around, I knew it wasn't deliberate and I hoped that putting the stupid emoticon at the end would make it clear that I was only joking. I posted it mostly because I actually found the situation rather amusing.

Also, I tend to agree that Loke's map deserves more attention. From what I've seen thus far (playing on a busted up laptop) it's a work of art.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

DavoX

Quote from: Gambini on  10 May 2013, 02:28:54
No, that wasnt my intention!

The problem with adding things as addons in Moddb is that they have no exposure at all.

:-\

Gambini

Quote:-\

I´m guessing your concern is that adding maps for a mod would go unnoticed too. But that´s different, because all trackers will get a notification.

Micky C

If its a big update you can also post a news article.
Wall whore.

DavoX

I loved this map. Maybe I played Penumbra and Amnesia so much that I actually don't care that it doesn't have enemies. The atmosphere gave me the chills which is very rare for me. You've done an incredible job Loke!

David B.

I've played the map. The construction of the place was solid and realistic... moreover good enough to create a gameplay, an oriented action map. The fact there were no ennemies gave a feeling of void. I think octabrains (moreover it has tentacles !) and some other weird monsters would have been really suitable.

IMO the complete absence of ennemies weakened the atmosphere I guess, which would have been stronger when you meet something dangerous at least in some areas you don't expect.

But it's a choice, I can't blame for that. It's just my personal vision, maybe not the truth.
David B.

Micky C

The problem is he ran out of sprites (is that the first time this has happened?) so it would be pretty impossible to add gameplay without sacrificing details.
Wall whore.

Forge

lack of sprites was not the issue. He never intended this to have enemies at all, even after i told him it would kill the replay value to leave them out (i think i pissed him off when i made that observation).
Originally the player could leave the ice crevice, make an immediate left, go straight to the basement and finish the map without ever stepping one foot inside the outpost. With a bit of persuasion from his beta testers he did sacrifice a little by blocking the outside tunnel to the basement, adding buttons, & locking the basement door inside the base which in turn forced the player to explore his amazing map. That's all he wanted was for people to look at and appreciate the effort that went into detailing this level and the atmosphere it projects. So giving up resources was not an issue; changing his ideals and vision was. Nothing wrong with that from my point of view.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass