News:

DannyFromNewOrleans is back with a new map brimmed with action!
"Fear Of The Dark" is ready for download.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] LORCH 2

Started by Sanek, 15 June 2013, 10:03:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanek

So, this is the second LORCH map. It's even smaller than the first one, and again it's heavily roch-inspired, but I hope that someone will like it.
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?eax015krk4j5dtr

If you remember, it was a story in the LORCH: Abducted. This time, I completely forgot about it, and decided that the story will continue in the following maps. Now I just wrote something in a text file. :P

I want to say thanks to all beta-testers and especially to Merlijn. Without his work in my previous map the LORCH serie would not be possible. :)

CGS Download

methy

Pretty cool map. Good design and gameplay even though layout and progression is quite common.
I liked the diversity of weapons provided early on (expander, devastator)
Took me 10-15mins and found 2 secrets.

First time through I fell into this hole and I managed to get an Enforcer to jump down with me and kill it before dying :D

http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

Nice design and some heavy firefights.
But I had to cheat towards the end ( after yellow card).
I found myself inside that building with absolutely no ammo  :-[
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Forge

leaving tomorrow, so busy today getting things together & packing. may or may not have time for this.
if nothing gets submitted today, then it'll have to wait a couple weeks unless another volunteer steps up

played. pretty fun. didn't have any issues with ammo, the stuff is scattered everywhere, but if you waste all your bullet projectiles instead of using up the shrinker/expander and busting those pigtanks via destruct button, i can see where one might have issues when needing to shoot that button. i found health placement rather odd.
There's plenty of the stuff, but it seemed like a good portion of it was lumped together. Kinda makes it hard to get good use of it (example: down -35 and there's +60 sitting there. only want to grab one and save the other for later, but they're too close and end up getting both)
Pretty short. Missed the storyline. Since most locations are only a room or two deep and there's no background behind why this area needs to be cleared out to find Ale, it just felt "typical".
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

DavoX

PLayed it and liked it man :)

It took me 9:27 minutes and two tries, since I've died the first time, mostly because I played without sounds and the battlelord surprised me from behind.

I didn't find any secrets but I never search for any ever on any map that I play anyway.

Liked how you're improving and wanting to get more detail on each release, you can only get better from now on.

I found a couple of odd things like the telephone in the office floating instead of resting on the table, but those are minor things that can be fixed. Somehow it escaped the betatesters even though it's pretty obvious :P

Overall I liked it man, enjoyable experience, waiting for the next one!

Forge

Quote from: DavoX on  16 June 2013, 04:52:36
Liked how you're improving and wanting to get more detail on each release, you can only get better from now on.
completely agree with this. may be using another style as influence, but it's a good exercise in detailing and sector shading. also the enemy to weapon&supply ratio and placement are improving
I found a couple of odd things like the telephone in the office floating instead of resting on the table, but those are minor things that can be fixed. Somehow it escaped the betatesters even though it's pretty obvious :P
there were a few of those, but only a couple were blatantly obvious and it really didn't detract from the game or affect anything other than that split second, "wtf" factor
I didn't find any secrets but I never search for any ever on any map that I play anyway.
then you'd hate my last couple maps. you don't need to find them to complete the levels, but you'd probably think it was alot of excess fat that took away from the main objectives
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Sanek

Quote from: Forge on  15 June 2013, 18:27:59
but if you waste all your bullet projectiles instead of using up the shrinker/expander and busting those pigtanks via destruct button, i can see where one might have issues when needing to shoot that button.
Damn, I didn't think about it. Personally, I have always pushed  pigtanks' destruct button and use shrinker or expander for commanders,  but apparently I needed more ammo.

Quote from: Forge on  15 June 2013, 18:27:59
There's plenty of the stuff, but it seemed like a good portion of it was lumped together. Kinda makes it hard to get good use of it (example: down -35 and there's +60 sitting there. only want to grab one and save the other for later, but they're too close and end up getting both)
But you can jump on one side and take only one health, rather than two. None of the testers have accused me of that.

Quote from: Forge on  15 June 2013, 18:27:59sector shading
Wow, personally, I thought that street shadows is ​​just awful.

methy

I thought ammo ratio was spot on but it's true that I destroyed the pigtanks by pressing their buttons.

I thought health placement was well thought out throughout.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Merlijn

Nice to see this one released, I actually like the small scale of these LORCH maps. They also get released a lot quicker that way. The street section is an improvement over Lorch1, this one looks more dynamic and interesting.

I will play the final version and leave more detailled comments ASAP :)

David B.

The gameplay was interesting; I liked the respawns at each step of the path - especially when you have to get a blue card in front of a double door close to the monument and suddenly aliens appears everywhere. Well designed fights has been the strong point.

David B.

MSandt

Pretty fun map although design-wise it didn't have anything I haven't seen before a billion times. Took me 7 minutes and I found just two secrets. Lots of enemies for such a small map but I don't think my health ever went below 60, and there were tons of ammo around.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark