BobSP4: Sub Species

Started by bobaverill, 16 June 2013, 07:39:20

Previous topic - Next topic

bobaverill

Screens: http://imgur.com/a/d6K8n

Swore I was done with Duke, but I had this experimental map sitting around with loads of potential, about 75% complete. It's going to use about 2,000 sectors and 100% of the allowed walls.

Entire map area is one huge freely explorable ocean with lots of neat shit to discover if you search thoroughly. Several underwater bases, both EDF and Reptoid, that you can go inside of through airlocks. Fairly straightforward nonlinear kill'emall/key hunt, breaking from the style of my other maps which were more linear, cerebral and mission oriented.

Basically I'd seen loads of space station/moonbase maps aping the style of episode 2 but only a few attempts at seabase type maps most of which stunk, being nothing more than space maps but using a watery looking parallaxed sky outside rather than a starfield. Bioshock inspired me to attempt a proper seabase style map in the BUILD engine, and this is what came from that attempt. I suspect it'll be a very novel, unusual experience to Dukematch in as combat will be in three dimensions and over a huge varied terrain where stealth is paramount and you must constantly keep an eye on your air level.

Not sure when I'll finish it, I work on it in bursts when I have time, but certainly before the year's out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Micky C

The first screenshot is a tad empty, but the 2nd one looks more interesting. You're right in that there aren't many good underwater base maps released, and hopefully the new multiplayer system will be ready by the time it's released.

You were a bit before my time, but welcome back anyway; it's difficult to escape the Duke forever  ;)

Edit: Just checked the other screens in the link, they look much better  8)
Wall whore.

Puritan

Man!
Bob Averill is resurrected  :o
Welcome back and I sincerely hope your fourth map in the series will hit us well before Christmas.

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

bobaverill

Quote from: Micky C on  16 June 2013, 08:19:44
The first screenshot is a tad empty

I'd love to keep up the same high level of detail everywhere, but this map is the size of the entire buildable area in Mapster32. As a result most of the geometrically intricate stuff is concentrated inside of the only four structures you're able to enter through airlocks. The rest is seafloor terrain and non-enterable 'scenery' buildings/wrecks/etc that are mainly just there so you have visually interesting things to find and examine if you bother to fully explore the map. I have already almost used up all the available walls, and I am closing in on 2,000 sectors.

Quote from: Puritan on  16 June 2013, 08:28:54
Welcome back and I sincerely hope your fourth map in the series will hit us well before Christmas.

Fifth. This one goes between SP3 and SPX, chronologically.

Micky C

The grid size can be expanded, although I understand what you're saying with the wall limit.

BTW, you were "mapper of the month" last year in June  :D (http://www.scent-88.com/mom/june/index.html)
It's where the better or more well-known mappers get the spotlight put on them, so people can check out their maps, and perhaps read an interview with them. Unfortunately, your interview is missing. However if Puritan is up for it, and you're ok with answering a few questions regarding Duke mapping, I'll definitely be interested to read through it, as will others  :)
Wall whore.

Puritan

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

bobaverill

Quote from: Micky C on  16 June 2013, 08:56:04
BTW, you were "mapper of the month" last year in June.

Oh, neat.

Quote from: Micky C on  16 June 2013, 08:56:04
However if Puritan is up for it, and you're ok with answering a few questions regarding Duke mapping, I'll definitely be interested to read through it, as will others  :)

Fine. bob.averill@gmail.com

Puritan

Ok, thanks Bob :)
I've sent you a PM earlier today but I can write you an e-mail if you like.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

You said that the entire Build grid is in use for this map.
You also said something about Dukematch.
That might be a big battleground?  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

bobaverill

Quote from: Puritan on  16 June 2013, 09:18:42
You said that the entire Build grid is in use for this map.
You also said something about Dukematch.
That might be a big battleground?  ;)

Enormous. Because it's essentially one huge open area I've added loads of seamounts, decorative non-enterable living structures and other stuff not just for visual variety and exploratory value (If you play singleplayer and turn off monsters it pretty much becomes an ocean exploration simulator) but so there are ample places to take cover and hide. I am limiting the availability of hitscan weapons to improve Dukematch gameplay (the Devastator seems most balanced in this environment) but the pistol will be pretty overpowered, provided you can locate your target. There is no surface, so all gameplay outside of the few air-filled structures takes place in water with full six degree freedom of movement. I'm very interested to see how Dukematches play out. It will of course require a large number of players or you'll spend most of your time trying to find each other.

Also, no need for the email, I've found the message box and replied.

Sanek

OMG, Bob Averill, one of the best DN3D mappers, after all these years, is here! :o
Welcome back!
Quote from: bobaverill on  16 June 2013, 07:39:20
but only a few attempts at seabase type maps most of which stunk, being nothing more than space maps but using a watery looking parallaxed sky outside rather than a starfield.
Do you played in the last level of Duke Carribean? You should check it out, it looks different from the space maps (as I remember).

Anyway, can't wait to play in your new map, good luck with it. :)

bobaverill

Quote from: Sanek on  16 June 2013, 10:21:52
OMG, Bob Averill, one of the best DN3D mappers, after all these years, is here! :o
Welcome back!

Just visiting. SP4 will be my final release. I devoted the years after SP3 to learning Maya, and I am now looking to learn Unity. Not much of a market for BUILD engine mappers as you might imagine.

And really, I was only the best for a brief window of time in 2000 after which many much more talented mappers immediately surpassed me. The only thing I brought to Duke was the idea of pushing the engine to extremes of detail and interactivity. Others have done a much better job of that in the years since and deserve the spotlight more.

Do you played in the last level of Duke Carribean? You should check it out, it looks different from the space maps (as I remember).

Didn't care for it. I could never stomach low detail maps. Part of why I made the SP series in the first place, to get people to produce maps that were worth exploring and admiring the details of.

Anyway, can't wait to play in your new map, good luck with it. :)

I'll try not to take too long finishing it. In the meantime, spread my last answer in the interview far and wide, as it calls for a new generation of maps with exotic unused settings and gameplay gimmicks, like SP4, which is something I would like to see more of going forward.

methy

The interview can only be good if it mentions the reason why BobSP1 doesn't have enemies
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

DavoX

Fuck yes, more BOB is always a good thing.

Merlijn

Very cool, I never expected to see another Bobsp map.  :)

Screens look very good, the indoor locations are instantly recognizable. The concept also sounds very interesting, I don't think anything like that has been done before in duke. Can't wait to see how this turns out!