Some old maps I made...

Started by ToiletDuck64, 18 June 2013, 20:16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

ToiletDuck64

Quote from: Micky C on  25 July 2013, 04:01:34
I can guess what the problems are so I don't need to download it. The TROR limit is 8 in software mode.

If you run the map in polymer (there's a checkbox for it in the startup window), all the bugs should go away.
But then you might as well have stuck with using sloped TROR since that's probably faster to make and uses less walls (and would therefore run slightly faster).

I'm also a bit concerned that if the layers are too close together, there might be problems with weapons not hitting the player for example if the player is standing in a lower layer with the top half of his sprite sticking out in the top layer, shooting the top bit won't cause any damage, another reason to stick with the slopes (sorry this didn't occur to me before).

First off...I tried checking that box, but, apparently, I can't use Polymer - the game won't let me:
Initializing Polymer subsystem...
PR : Your video card driver/combo doesn't support the necessary features!
PR : Disabling Polymer...
The problem with this is that I can't find any documentation on what the system requirements are for Polymer - and no, "Polymer renderer requires a bad-ass video card." doesn't count.

What does the map look like with Polymer anyway? Does it really fix all the graphical glitching?

I suppose I could try remaking these maps with sloped TROR boundaries, but I'm very reluctant to move forward until I find out why this is happening i.e. what I did wrong that is causing them to glitch up as badly as they are now.

Micky C

TROR as a feature was originally designed for polymer. It's partial implementation in classic and somewhat in polymost is just extra.

It should essentially look like it does in polymost but without the glitches.

It's probably not worth the effort redesigning it with slopes, although IIRC you already had a version of double deck with slopes.

You don't need a badass video card, however if you have a super old or moderately old laptop that would explain the issue.
Wall whore.

ToiletDuck64

So...should I:
(a) wait until the software (and/or Polymost) rendering problems get fixed, or...
(b) just call it "finished" with Polymer as a "system requirement"?

(It's unfortunate that of the two ways to make this map work, both are apparently broken in classic. :( The worst part is that I don't know why the option I went with is broken.)

By the way, my computer is indeed "super old"...

Micky C

The guy who was working on TROR isn't bothering with polymost TROR since one day polymer will replace polymost (plus he doesn't really understand polymost).
He also said that he's taken classic about as far as it can go without putting in an insane amount of work for only minor improvement. I agree that it would be nice to at least know why the glitches are occuring so that we can try to avoid it in future maps.
Plus he's also shifted most of his focus onto the new lua scripting.

So yeah better call it "finished".
Wall whore.

ToiletDuck64

Quote from: Micky C on  25 July 2013, 15:05:36
The guy who was working on TROR isn't bothering with polymost TROR since one day polymer will replace polymost (plus he doesn't really understand polymost).
He also said that he's taken classic about as far as it can go without putting in an insane amount of work for only minor improvement. I agree that it would be nice to at least know why the glitches are occuring so that we can try to avoid it in future maps.
Plus he's also shifted most of his focus onto the new lua scripting.

So yeah better call it "finished".

Well...

Okay, I guess I'll call it "finished" then. I suppose I can always upload a fixed version later if I find a way to make it work in classic.