[RELEASE] Bummed Out ! Anarchy City X

Started by ck3D, 06 August 2013, 03:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ck3D

Duke is a bum, who has sheltered himself in an abandoned warehouse, itself located in the old industrial district of a vague french town in the countryside. It's a cold winter morning and the sound and shock of explosions in the near vicinity jolt him out of sleep. It isn't going to take long for him to realize that the entire area is under heavy attack. Being unarmed, he is critically overwhelmed. Help him make his way to the train station - his only chance of survival.

Please read the included 'read me' file (in addition to the usual authoring template) as the gameplay in this map is a lot different from more classic levels :

- No weaponry (and you are facing some of the toughest beasts in the game) ;
- No key cards, you have to collect money and use ATM's ;
- Very limited amount of health packs, all located at the same strategic spot, as well as very few inventory items ;

Said .txt file covers all the info you need more extensively.

Please play in classic 8-Bit mode only. Polymost and, as far as I know, Polymer, seem to render parallexed skies differently and thus will cause some unintended cosmetic glitches, more particularly some of the bigger sprite structures will look off in anything but 8 bbp.

Have fun with this one, hopefully.

CGS review/download

ck3D

// UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT //

I just updated the original post with an updated version of the map. I had forgotten to lock a door and add a switch to unlock it in a room nearby. The map was still fully playable with no major effect on gameplay, but the room the switch was supposed to be hidden in was empty and thus looked out of place and useless. Now the new version works the way I intended things to be !

Micky C

Ok, now there are TOO MANY maps coming out. I don't have time to play any of them at the moment which is a shame  :(

Still the idea is fresh and the pic looks nice. I'm sure you've implemented the gameplay in a good manner, so I'll check it out when I have some time.
Wall whore.

Forge

hmm..
finished and review submitted, now i have to send a pm to Puritan to not use the map file i attached with the review and to come grab it out of this thread instead.
doubling my work should cost you a point, but you have a pretty mouth so i'll let it slide this time.

almost a mirror image of border town:
great looking map, but this one has no fighting - just running like all get out, and a sense of purpose to the puzzle
the non-combat approach worked well and really kicked in that sense of urgency to find everything and get the F out of there
i died ALOT, but the frustration was minimized - i died because of decisions i made or paths i chose, not because the map makes it nearly impossible to win
(though getting by that cycloid to get into the glass encased house room was pretty sucky - lots of splash damage because of having to be along that wall)

-finally a map that made me stay in the middle of the street and away from the walls-
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Tried it out (I'm hesitant to try Undertaker's map because apparently it takes a long time to finish and is hard to navigate). I only managed to find 2 keycards so far and it feels like I've been everywhere. Then again it's hard to tell when you're always on the move, which is of course a nice change, but it does get a little bit old after the first 10 minutes or so.
Wall whore.

ck3D

I just updated the map again in order to fix a small bug Paul B reported to me on the other site. Apparently he had died trying to enter the apartment building through the semi-closed window, I thought I had blocked it but it turned out I had only blocked the masked wall for the transparent window texture, thus the player could make it into the bedroom on the other side by jumping and crouching to get through. This little flaw is now fixed in the version below. Sorry for having yet another update on the upload !

Forge, thank you for the review, the screenshots you picked are neat and the description is on point. Thank you for your time. Just out of curiiosity, did you like the alternative gameplay or had you wished for a more simple experience ?

Micky C, if you have been everywhere you should have found everything. There are very few indoor locations in this map when you think about it, and they all contain a stash of cash. Only one of them has to be unlocked from a third-party building, and even then it's just a small room. On the other hand it also means that you do have to visit every single building in order to get all the cards. You have to use them one by one and go back to the ATM's everytime though, or Duke won't pick up any new card even if he finds a new location containing a pile of cash. (deliberate gameplay choice, plus it favors unlinearity)

It definitely is the type of map which favors exploration (even though you are on a fucking rush this time) and where you have to save a lot, because you WILL die for every new tactical mistake in your saved game.

ck3D

Forge :

QuoteThere are no weapons for the entire first section of the map, but apparently there is one hidden in the train station somewhere, but I never found it

Beavis and Butthead provide you with a devastator with full ammo on the train Platform, they are hiding in the bathrooms, the door to which is located further up on your right when you enter the platform (on the opposite side of where those final two battlelords are standing). There is a flushing toilet sound playing as a one-time sound when the player first enters the platform sector as a '''hint'''. You can't get into the bathrooms themselves, but if you walk to the door it will open for a brief moment and spawn the guns (same effect I have come up with in Rural Nightmare, Filler and Happy Hangover).

Forge

the gameplay was a combination fun, frustrating, intense, agitating, and exciting
it works well with the layout of the map. there are a few places where you can stop and catch your breath, and you can use the terrain to your advantage - once a section like dukeburger is cleared you can use it to filter off and trap some of the aliens.

i didn't really need any weapons for the aliens you used. There are patterns in behavior with newbeasts and fat commanders - if you can isolate one or two at a time then it's not hard to kill them with the boot. Mini-battlelords are a bit more difficult and usually involve getting up on something just out of their reach - like a soda machine - coaxing them to approach at just the right angle, then creeping just close enough to the edge to where you can kick them in the head, but they can't shoot you. Getting them to kill each other was the easier way to go though.

Weird. I found that door, but it never gave me a weapon. Maybe i was standing too far away. I ended up luring the two mini-battlelords away from the far wall then 'roid running past them to finish. Not that big of a deal.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

I'm gonna play this when I got plenty of time, I don't want to rush through it. Looks good and the concept sounds interesting though!

DavoX

I'm stuck on one last load of cash :( , Pretty good map so far :)

ck3D

Quote from: DavoX on  06 August 2013, 23:54:07
I'm stuck on one last load of cash :( , Pretty good map so far :)

Spoiler alert :

Here is the location for each stash of bills. 1) In the Duke Burger in front of the manager's office ; 2) in that apartment building with the nice furniture on the mattress ; 3) in that house with the sprite roof near the train station, close to the table ; 4) in the rooms at floor level in the abandoned factory you can enter from the door near the third cycloid right across the street from the Satema warehouse and the Duke Burger, in the corner next to a tent ; 5) in that burning building right behind one of the cycloids in the lower street, and 6) find your way onto the roof of the abandoned factory (easiest way is to blow up that crack in that apartment building, make it to the opposite roof then make a right), enter the room through the broken window, activate the power switch in order to start a power outage and open a ventilation shaft in the neighboring building right across the street (wiring and explosions will show you the way if you get to notice them despite the surrounding havoc), make your way to the top of that building from the burning building in the upper street, enter through the vents, you will find yourself at the top of a dropped ceiling, the money is in one of the corners

MSandt

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Merlijn

6) find your way onto the roof of the abandoned factory (easiest way is to blow up that crack in that apartment building, make it to the opposite roof then make a right), enter the room through the broken window, activate the power switch in order to start a power outage and open a ventilation shaft in the neighboring building right across the street (wiring and explosions will show you the way if you get to notice them despite the surrounding havoc), make your way to the top of that building from the burning building in the upper street, enter through the vents, you will find yourself at the top of a dropped ceiling, the money is in one of the corners

I thought this one was quite hard to find, I found the power switch but I expected it to open up the gates, not to cause an explosion in a completely different building.. This one could have used some more hints.

It's the only gripe I have with this map though, overall I really liked it.  :)

Sanek

Played in it. I have mixed feelings about this release, probably one of the most anticipated and controversial releases of the recent time. Gameplay came very unusual, very refreshing, but on the other hand, there's too much annoyance is that you have no weapons and these battlelords in the main area was very annoying. One of them got up just near the exit to the station, and I spent a lot of time to kick him out. I also think it's very rude to put the battlelord in the mall in front of the station - he can simply walk up to that door where you have to press a button, and you can't escape from there without cheats. Design is great, like always (although I hadn't much time to see it).
But overall I was pleased. If ck3D have to remove the battllelords in the city and that one in the mall in front of the station, everything be gorgeous. Still, I really like all ck3D's recent releases, and I hope he will please us with more maps in near future.