[RELEASE] Entrapped

Started by pbolduc, 24 August 2013, 08:28:03

Previous topic - Next topic

pbolduc

Hi guys,

Well here is another loaded TROR map for you. Requirement is Polymer and a very fast computer.
I can only hope that one day these Polymer maps will run as fast as lightening. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

CGS - review/download

[attachment deleted by admin]

Puritan

The first screenie is just beautiful  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

quakis

Gave it a spin, but the outdoors are just unplayble and no fun with that kind of framerate. From what I saw though some really pretty visuals, the TROR adds a considerable amount of depth. I also enjoyed the introductory stuff before reaching the city. Just too bad Polymer doesn't run well here to play it proper.

pbolduc

Yea, sorry to hear it doesn't play well for you. I'm hoping someday the fps will magically improve.

Minor changes have been made to the map. Not being able to modify my first post i'll just repost it here.

Forge

i don't know why my moderate rig can play these mild polymer maps without issues while others with more powerful computers can't, but i'm not complaining

i don't know what you fixed or changed, but i got stuck in the first version. the blue key didn't unlock squat or whatever it opened was pretty obscure and i hadn't found it yet
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

pbolduc

Forge I don't understand.
Use the security screens if you are having a tough time finding the blue keycard switch lock.

Feel free to elaborate on where you are stuck because I have no clue what you are talking about.

Oh.. heheheh I think I know where you are now.. Sorry the blue keylock in the sewers opens a hatch door above the blue keycard lock. =) It might be a tad too dark there. I tried putting an up arrow where that switch is to intentionally indicate that duke needs to look up. I tried having a light illuminate that sector when the door opens but it appears the light switch SE doesn't work on a Bridge Sector.

Okay I've changed some textures on the hatch and brightened the entrence into the Duke Burger utility room so it's more obvious where Duke should go. I don't really want to edit this map any more. I'm ready to wipe my hands clean of it.

Forge

the blue key didn't unlock anything i could find
the text said something about part of the dukeburger opening after using the blue card
i did laps around that building and even manged to get on the roof and could find nothing unlocked
i explored most of the rest of the map and still could find nothing new unlocked

Forge

the map being so dark in several areas doesn't help

still barely seen the hole in the ceiling even after it was brightened up. you should have straight-up just put a dim polymer light at the bottom, or put the hole right above the blue lock. it's still very unobvious and i passed it up a dozen or so times before seeing it. i wasted a good hour on this map trying to find where to go.

pbolduc

Forge, just so you know the sewers area is really tricky. You can't just put polymer lights down there. That is why there aren't many sprites in that part of the map. Because when the water levels rise it pushes the sprites up. So there can't be any sprites in the sewers area unless they are contained within an extended sector or separate sector from the rising water sector. That is why I brightened the area up using wall texturing and shading only.

I'm sorry to hear my map which took me 9 months to build wasted 1hr of your time to play. Thanks for being so thorough though and if that's the only complaint you didn't like about the map, then I guess I didn't do too bad of a job. So I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks

DavoX

Did he delete his account or something?

Forge

Yes.
i guess i offended him and was overly-critical of a map he spent alot of time and effort on

Sanek

Quote from: Forge on  25 August 2013, 15:59:47
Yes.
i guess i offended him and was overly-critical of a map he spent alot of time and effort on
It seems that you just torpedoed him from community as well, Forge.

BTW, I just tried to play in this map and find it rather good (I like that you have to use only freezethrower in the beginning)! I don't finish it through, but take a look in mapster and can appreciate Paul's effort.

Forge

yea. not so much

in an exert from a message to the admin he says he needs to focus more on family and less on being in front of the computer

David B.

I'm sad he's leaving the eduke community, as he said on duke4.

I hope he'll be back one day, maybe he won't as a mapper anymore, but at least for playing our maps and share its impressions.

The time spent for the design of a single map is huge, but of course this is an hobby first of all where we try to materialize what we have in mind.

Now, this doesn't mean a mapper doesn't deserve a minimum of consideration for sharing so much... and what he received is some non-constructive criticism as I could read especially on the other forum - things that shouldn't be posted when someone doesn't like something. At the opposite, Paul was often giving fair feedback to everyone and offered his time.
David B.