Oostrum's band Calculated

Started by Forge, 06 December 2011, 11:52:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Maarten

Quote from: Puritan on  22 November 2013, 18:30:53
Wow! Must have been a cool experience.
Merlijn has improved on vocals I'd say  8)

Thanks. And yeah I agree, Merlijn is getting better and better on live vocals :)
Boo!

Forge

pretty crisp and clean for a live performance
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Thanks, yeah we're just getting more and more polished with our live-performances, some of the older ones tended to be a bit sloppy. I cringe when I watch some of our performances from 2010 lol.
Luckily, we've improved a lot on that field. Songs like this have to be clean, otherwise the magic is lost. :)

I can also post the old recording, for those who are interested.

Forge

might as well. just like re-envisioned maps, it can be interesting to see where things have changed when put side-by-side

Merlijn

Well, I found out that it's still on my old acidplanet account, so you can stream it and compare it to the recent live version:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=564072&t=7522

This was actually way before Calculated, and a trip down to memory lane for me. I didn't even play guitar back then, so the song only has vocals, piano and various keyboards (including fake keyboard drums :P).

Forge

my browser doesn't get along with that site. i couldn't get anything to play on that pop-up media player of theirs

Merlijn

Yeah, it's an ancient site.. Over here, it works with IE, but it doesn't work with firefox.
I'll upload it to a better site for you, stay tuned.

Merlijn

MikeNorvak

"This video has been removed because its content violated YouTube's Terms of Service."

: O

Forge

Oostrum criminal activity strikes again

Merlijn

Yeah, youtube are being assholes, basically they removed it because it generated too many views in a small period of time. Which was 'suspicious', even though all we did was sharing the link on forums like this and facebook.. Fuckers.  >:(

At least they were nice enough to make a copy of the video, so here's the new link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzjj_zBiVZk

Forge

all those women behind Maarten are checking out his ass

is it a coincidence that there's nothing but women behind him?

*accusations of special "groupie" tickets are starting to formulate*

Merlijn

Lol. You got me and Maarten mixed up. Maarten is behind the piano, I'm singing and playing guitar.  ;)
Have you listened to the old version? I'm just curious how it compares to the new live version.

Forge

sorry, i was busy checking out your ass

this picture confused me

the version in the video sounds cleaner and more refined from the vocals to the instrumentation (that could be attributed to recording quality though). The guitar work makes a huge difference

Merlijn

Haha, I understand the confusion. Maarten and I used to switch instruments during the show: about half of the songs featured me on guitar and Maarten on keyboard, and then we would switch it around. This slowly changed over time, because all of the new songs were written with me on guitar and Maarten on keyboard. It's better this way IMO, now we have a clearly established line-up and Maarten and I can both focus on one particular instrument.

It's funny how the live video sounds cleaner and more refined, the old version was recorded at home and certainly wasn't recorded in one take.