Oostrum's band Calculated

Started by Forge, 06 December 2011, 11:52:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Our final ranking: 4th place! We made it to the finals! :)

So we made one hell of a jump this last week (probably helped that we spammed people during our gigs as well  :P). Anyway, I want to thank you guys very much for voting. (y)

Of course, you all live too far away to come and see the finals, but we'll try to get some recordings for you. :)

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Cool. Now you need to win it all, get a sweet recording contract, go on tour, come to Seattle.

All so I can see a show  8)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Sorry Calculated didn't win  :'(

still would like to see the video, if there is one

Merlijn

Late reply: they said they would put the shows online afterwards, but so far they haven't done so. :( I can show you some bootlegs from a mobile phone, but I'm afraid that's all we got at the moment.

And hey, at least we did make the finals, that gave us a lot of media coverage already (winning would have been the icing on the cake, but oh well.. juries generally don't seem to like prog very much so we didn't really expect to win anyway.)

Maarten

For the ones that are interested:

Calculated - New Horizons

New vid, might be a bit dark, but you can hear the song ;)

We didn't post much updates here at all, but right now we have 1 gig a week & we made 2 new songs (no video online..yet!). Also we're gonna record a new EP soon!

So yeah...things are going very nice :)
Boo!

Merlijn

More vids! We have a much better camera now, so now we can show you guys some video's with better image and sound quality:

New horizons (full song)
and
Acoustic cover of Mercy (original by Duffy)

We have another gig coming up next saturday, we hope to make some more vids then.  8)

Forge

I listen to these while I'm browsing around and drinking my coffee first thing in the morning. So no offense, but I don't care about the quality of the vids the first time I listen (you guys are ugly and I want to keep the coffee off my computer monitor  ;D)

When New Horizons started I thought I was listening to Lunatic Fringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUa_G1h3pw

The Acoustic cover of Mercy, I was kinda zoning out on a thread and wasn't really paying attention, then it snuck up on me and I thought I was listening to an old Bob Dylan song

Merlijn

The Lunatic fringe intro is similar indeed (but the rest of the song isn't obviously).

Puritan

I can hear a familiar sound... a scent....a touch of early Pink Floyd  8)
This is good, Oostrums!

On a side note: Merlijn! Left(?) handed guitar... how about having the strings upside down as well?...
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Thanks! Yeah, there's certainly a Pink Floyd vibe going on in New horizons (especially the first part, the ending gets a bit more 'metal' 8))

And guess what, my strings are indeed upside down.  :P

Merlijn

We went into the studio this summer to record a new EP, you can listen to the entire thing now by clicking here

Tracklisting:
A new message (intro)
The dissident
New horizons
Into the dirt
The messenger
Another side

(last 2 songs are new, we wrote them a few months ago).

Enjoy the music!  :D

Forge

the messenger = deep purple meets iron maiden

Merlijn

Heh, I guess that's a pretty accurate description. :) One major influence on 'The messenger' was the song Stargazer by Rainbow, and that band also had Richie Blackmore on guitar.

Forge